Moto X - Drive mode should turn on Bluetooth

randian

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a BT-enabled car, but it's really annoying to have to manually turn on Bluetooth on the phone to connect to the car, and turn it off when leaving the car. When drive mode is enabled the Moto X should have an option to automatically turn on Bluetooth and pair with the car, and turn off Bluetooth when drive mode stops.

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
It would be nice if it did that, but it looks like they're planning on Bluetooth driving mode detection (i.e. switch to driving mode when connected to a specific Bluetooth device), and I'd be surprised if they did both. In the meantime, Tasker can do this for you, but it would require a few profiles to make it work.

randian

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
That's pointless. It's still manual. The spirit of drive and sleep modes is that they happen automatically. Turning on Bluetooth when drive mode activates is much more in the proper spirit.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Leaving bluetooth on is at worst a negligible drain. You'd be hard pressed to see the difference in a day with leaving it on.

Posted via Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
That's pointless. It's still manual. The spirit of drive and sleep modes is that they happen automatically. Turning on Bluetooth when drive mode activates is much more in the proper spirit.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

As others have said, you can just leave Bluetooth on. It's only manual if you choose to make it that way.

V10MPower

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
What they should really do is to Auto Turn On GPS when connected to certain Bluetooth Devices, such as my car's BT. Before KitKat, I was able to use Tasker to do this and I was able to get into Assist Driving Mode. Since KitKat, you cannot automate the ON / OFF of GPS and I refuse to leave GPS ON all the time. Talk about battery drain.

So after KitKat, Assist Driving mode is useless to me.

pjo1966

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It looks like BT goes into a sort of standby mode when it's not connected to anything. I leave mine on all the time.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Leaving GPS, BT and WiFi on is a negligible drain. There's no reason for GPS to use juice if it's not in use.

Posted via Android Central App

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
This is slightly off topic, but I didn't want to start another thread. I usually leave GPS (and Bluetooth and Wifi) off when not in use. This morning when I arrived at work after my commute, I grabbed my Moto X and saw a notification that said "Cannot detect driving, GPS is off".

I thought it was pretty funny that it was saying it could not detect me driving without GPS, when obviously (since it appeared while I was driving) it had no trouble knowing I was on the go. I know having GPS off probably makes the driving assist mode non-functional, but I thought the wording of the notification was funny.

Screenshot_2014-01-03-07-44-01.png

Last edited:

mac00l

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
BT on the Moto X is LE. Meaning that whenever it is not connected it is in a low-energy state. The difference in leaving it on all the time, and turn it off is insignificant.

Regarding the notification, I guess some sensors trigger the driving mode, but then Assist rely on the GPS to confirm that it is moving faster than by walking. I guess that way they avoid false-positives.

sherweed

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Leaving Bluetooth turned on doesn't solve the problem when Bluetooth is constantly turning itself off, which my Moto X has been doing since the 4.4.4 update.