I've got the new Moto X, you've got questions. Fire away!!!

sudhisoma

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Everything seems fine about the phone except the small 2300MAH battery for a 1080P screen of that size. So how is the battery life till now? What is the kind of screen on time you are getting?

BruceWayne133

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you had a chance to see the standard black back? I'm in Canada with no access to Moto maker, and I much prefer the look of the black model. Can you comment on the feel?

Posted via the Android Central App

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Does it have an IR blaster? With the new sensors on the front are you missing features like "double tap" for screen on featured with other devices?

Posted via Android Central App

No IR blaster. And what you lose on double tap you gain in active display.

Posted via the Android Central App

qisdtech

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
What's your impression of signal strength and voice quality vs other flagship phones? I understand some new antenna technology is being used in the new X ? Does it appear to make much difference?

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Will you be making a size comparison post between this phone and the other flagships of the year, like the One M8, S5, and G3? How comfortable does it feel in your hands vs. the other 3?

Thanks as always!

ahol2206#AC

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
does the new Moto X feel like it is made from A LOT nicer material? My biggest problem with my white/teak moto x is that it feels like a plastic samsung in hand.

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Do you know anything about the X8 being on board? or is it not required for the IR sensors to work and did the use qualcomms dsp in the 801? Did you ask any of those questions there?

Mdbils484

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
size is important to some. some might say size is extremely important to the moto x crowd

The X crowd? They didnt sell very many X 2013 so more like a bunch! LOL But seriously, if they are trying to broaden their customer base, I've yet to see a compelling reason to shell out 499 for the X

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
Stereo sound yes or no? The internet is all over the place on this issue with some reputably reviewers even claiming the X speakers are on par with the M8.
Not to steal Phil's thunder, but I haven't seen anyone reputable continue to report that it has stereo speakers since last week's event. I've seen plenty of reports that the volume and clarity of the single front-facing speaker are close to on par with the M8, but that doesn't mean it has dual/stereo speakers or is as good as BoomSound.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
How useful/gimicky are the hand gestures?

Is the new "set your own 'OK Google Now'" reliable?

Any word on when US versions will be available for preorder?

Thanks like always Phil!
i think the hand gesture will be useful for me. Its depends on your use case.
when i need to know time in the morning i would just move my wife's Moto X.
Hand gesture would have been much more useful

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The X crowd? They didnt sell very many X 2013 so more like a bunch! LOL But seriously, if they are trying to broaden their customer base, I've yet to see a compelling reason to shell out 499 for the X

The options on the market:

1) A nexus device
2) A massive low priced phablet
3) A heavily skinned never-gonna-be-updated-this-century big brand name phone
4) The moto x

I'd send my mom to option 3. I cant get a nexus on verizon. If I wanted a phablet I would get a note (i have a note 3 right now actually along with my x). The moto x fills the remaining void. Sounds like you've made your feelings known and would be happier with the oneplus.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Not to steal Phil's thunder, but I haven't seen anyone reputable continue to report that it has stereo speakers since last week's event. I've seen plenty of reports that the volume and clarity of the single front-facing speaker are close to on par with the M8, but that doesn't mean it has dual/stereo speakers or is as good as BoomSound.

Because it doesn't have stereo speakers. The top one is the earpiece. The bottom one is the speaker.

The Moto G has stereo speakers.

And you're correct, neither is BoomSound.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
i think the hand gesture will be useful for me. Its depends on your use case.
when i need to know time in the morning i would just move my wife's Moto X.
Hand gesture would have been much more useful

I'm confused about why this is being talked about as if it's new with the 2014 Moto X. I have the original 2013 X, and I can turn on the active display by passing my hand in front of it.

I gather the 2014 X can do something more than this?