Moto X Signal Radio Shuts Off

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've had an issue with my Moto X since I got it about a year ago that every once in a while (maybe every other week) I realize that it's showing absolutely no cellular signal in an area that I know has great coverage. Toggling airplane mode causes it a bounce back. In a couple cases I've immediately gotten notifications for email from the past few hours, implying that things haven't been working for a while. I've seen the same problem on T-Mobile and AT&T, so it doesn't seem to be carrier dependent.

I know I've seen other reports (both here, on Motorola's forums, and on the forums of various carriers) for similar issues with no resolution but they seem to mostly be in passing in other threads. I was hoping this was related to the very similar Nexus 5 issue that was supposed to be addressed in 4.4.3, but it's still a problem after the update. Anybody have more info on this issue post-4.4.3?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Have you contacted your carrier to see if there are any issues in your area? Does it seem to fight for two different signals (gsm/lte)? You said this has happened since you bought it last year?

Posted via the Android Central App

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have observed this behavior on 4.* / Moto X but only in the car while connected via Bluetooth. What seems to happen is that while sleeping, the phone does not immediately search for a new tower in the event that the current tower reaches zero signal. It does eventually (like many minutes later in some cases) search and find a tower with signal, but in the interim, the signal strength display in the car shows no bars.

This is only observable in the car connected via bluetooth since the car displays the signal strength even while the phone is sleeping. In my case at least, as soon as I wake the phone up (like turning on the screen or attempting a call), it immediately searches and reports a good signal..... even before the screen comes up.

I have never seen my phone incorrectly display a no signal condition while it is awake. The only time I have ever seen a no signal condition with the phone awake was when it was genuine.

Paul

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
In the case I keep having with the screen on the signal loss is definitely "legitimate" in that it's not connected to the cellular network, checking for email, and receiving voice calls. On the other hand isn't legitimate in that the phone is in an area where it should definitely have a signal and recovers after toggling airplane mode.

cdahncke

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issue too. Various updates seem to improve, only to have the next update worsen it.

The signal drop is most likely to occur after an incomplete phone call. It happens sporadically, and can be really annoying.

Posted via Android Central App

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same issue too. Various updates seem to improve, only to have the next update worsen it.

The signal drop is most likely to occur after an incomplete phone call. It happens sporadically, and can be really annoying.

Do any of you notice this with WiFi as well?

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
When my x does this at home I can try calling out. It will tell me that I have no cellular connection but within a second or two my signal will return.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87