Moto X Goes to Italy

AOski

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey Folks! I don't travel internationally very much but an opportunities has come up...so I'm off! I just bought a new Moto X on AT&T and am wondered what the right way to go about using it abroad without racking up huge charges. I would love to have full use of my phone...data and all...of course. But more than anything I'll just need to be able to text my travel companions to coordinate plans.

Do I need to unlock it? Do I need to add a package from AT&T? Just haunt the cafes with the best WiFi and WhatsApp? I'm open to any suggestions! And, by the way, thanks everyone who posts here. I learn A LOT about my phone!

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Call At&t get it unlocked
Get to Italy, or before, research on places and tel companies you can purchase a sim (be sure same size), perhaps prepaid for phone+data

At&t might be similar to vzw and the device may already be unlocked for international use, if not, they may require you to be with phone few months before they unlock it.

Have a nice trip

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey Folks! I don't travel internationally very much but an opportunities has come up...so I'm off! I just bought a new Moto X on AT&T and am wondered what the right way to go about using it abroad without racking up huge charges. I would love to have full use of my phone...data and all...of course. But more than anything I'll just need to be able to text my travel companions to coordinate plans.

Do I need to unlock it? Do I need to add a package from AT&T? Just haunt the cafes with the best WiFi and WhatsApp? I'm open to any suggestions! And, by the way, thanks everyone who posts here. I learn A LOT about my phone!

I was in Italy last month with my 1st gen moto x. Granted I had Verizon and it worked fine, but would get WiFi from cafes/restaurants. Also recommend Viber for voice calling over WiFi , which WhatsApp can't do.

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I just got back from Rome with my 2013 MotoX (Verizon) I had no issues. I did call and get their International Data Package. You may want to explore what AT&T has to offer, or like others have said, have AT&T unlock your phone and get a SIM when you get there.

Depending on how much data you plan on using it may be easier to see what AT&T will charge you.

In my 10 days there I turned off all services I didn't need and ended up using just under 200 Meg of data.

Good luck and watch out for the pick pockets!!!!!!