Best way to use my UK phone in America?

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to America for two weeks to visit my girlfriend soon. I'm from the UK using EE and I'm wondering which is the best way to use my moto x while I'm in america. I'll be using hangouts on the hotel WiFi to call home for free, so that's no problem. But I may need to call my girlfriend on her american mobile phone while I'm there, and I may use the occasional bit of data while out and about in the city, but not loads. So what is best for me to do? EE do an abroad bundle but that's expensive compared to how much I will actually use it. Is the best thing to buy an American sim when I get there? What sort of price are they?

Posted via the Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can get a pre-paid SIM here. T-Mobile has some pretty good plans, and I believe ATT's MVNO GoPhone has some as well.
SIM Card details from T-Mobile
Couldn't find the plans page on there, but Walmart has some even cheaper plans than what's listed there.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
WalMart (and there's going to be a Walmart store wherevcer you are, unless the nearest neighbors are miles way) carries a whole laundry list of PAYG (pre-paid in American) plans, including their own (which uses TMobile towers), AT&T Go and Straight Talk (which gives you the choice of either carrier). Unfortunately, the 1052 doesn't have radios for either AT&T or TMobile 4G, but it does for both for 3G. Voice and text aren't a problem.

Make sure the phone is unlocked (you may have to beg EE, but since you're going overseas they'll probably do it - give them at least a week to get the unlock code), then all you have to do is put the American SIM in the phone, follow whatever activation instructions there are (they differ by carrier, and come with the SIM), add an APN for that carrier (that should also come with the SIM, or it's available online by googling carriername apn) and you're good to go.

nickname303

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys, looks like I'll be getting a sim when I get there then. I bought an unlocked moto x 2014 from Motorola so I can stick any sim in it. Thanks for your help

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty