Question Best way to save all data, empty phone to restart with sim from another phone

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to save all the data from my Note 8 then on this 'new' blank phone place a sim from another phone so they can use it.

What is the best way to do this please? Is there a tutorial?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

No, I just want to save it all in case I need it later. I want the phone like new so I can set up another sim and account.
With me wife's Note 8, we were able to backup everything (except, possibly photos?... or was that Samsung that didn't backup the photos?...one or the other didn't), thru her google acct, via Google One > Backup.
And also with Samsung Backup, via Settings > Accounts and backup, as a redundant backup.

Then we did a factory reset on her Note 8, before sending it to Xfinity Mobile on a trade-in for her new S23 Ultra, which she really really likes!

Reactions: ozstar

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
With me wife's Note 8, we were able to backup everything (except, possibly photos?... or was that Samsung that didn't backup the photos?...one or the other didn't), thru her google acct, via Google One > Backup.
And also with Samsung Backup, via Settings > Accounts and backup, as a redundant backup.

Then we did a factory reset on her Note 8, before sending it to Xfinity Mobile on a trade-in for her new S23 Ultra, which she really really likes!
Yeah Samsung no longer back up photos/secure folder and couple other can't remember but PC smart switch does all of it

Reactions: ozstar and winmod21

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I have just copied everything from the Note 8 via Win 10 PC Explorer over to a USB Hard Drive.
So for me to clean it so it is 'new' I do a 'factory 'reset' or ?
I will use Smart switch to PC
I will then copy from her Motorola phone and move her sim too.

Last edited:

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I have Smart Switch and after connecting with USB to Win 10 it shows this for a while.

On the PC... Preparing to Back Up the Data .. Loading the Backup List...
and on the Note 8
Transferring your data.... Don't Disconnect. with the blue light circling.

This has been for about 20 minutes now.

Is it stuck ?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have Smart Switch and after connecting with USB to Win 10 it shows this for a while.

On the PC... Preparing to Back Up the Data .. Loading the Backup List...
and on the Note 8
Transferring your data.... Don't Disconnect. with the blue light circling.

This has been for about 20 minutes now.

Is it stuck ?
You using a known good cable?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes and it is now working. Same lead but fewer categories.
Where does it backup to ?
Will this program also back a Motorola?
Thanks for the help.
It will back up to your computer and be under Samsung smart switch files , you can make multiple back up and restore them at any time to your Samsung unfortunately this won't back up your Moto it's for Samsung to Samsung only

Reactions: Laura Knotek

ozstar

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
I have been trying to Factory Reset the phone but keep getting this..
this guest does not have permission to perform a factory reset

I have deleted all Google, Dropbox, Find my phones, WhatsApp, Email etc but still get the same message.

How do I get around this please?

Thanks