FYI: Moto X Style (intl) and Moto X Pure Edition (US) are the same (except radio bands)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The US gets the "Pure Edition", the rest of the world gets the "Style". Same phone but slightly different bands. I guess there was some confusion because of how the "Pure Edition" US naming was announced.

According to droid-life:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/2...-the-moto-x-for-the-us-not-the-style-or-play/
So here is the deal. The Moto X Style and Moto X Pure Edition are the same phone. The Moto X Pure Edition is the version that is coming to the US and will be sold unlocked for $399 through Motorola’s site, Amazon, and Best Buy. The Moto X Style is the international variant of the Pure Edition. If you are comparing specs for the two and seeing missing LTE bands from one to the next, it’s probably because one is the international variant (Style) and the other is for the US (Pure Edition).

Last edited:

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Moto Style (intl) and Moto Pure Edition (US) are the same phone

In today's world where you can buy pretty much anything online I don't see how the PE is US only anyway. There's really nothing stopping you from ordering it to any country that supports the same LTE bands

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

In today's world where you can buy pretty much anything online I don't see how the PE is US only anyway. There's really nothing stopping you from ordering it to any country that supports the same LTE bands

He was posting this to just say get the Pure Edition if you want the one that supports all 4 major carriers in the US. The international one would only work w/ AT&T and T-Mobile.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

Would the style or pure phones work in Canada?

Posted via the Android Central App

The Style and the Pure Edition are the same phone spec-wise. The Pure Edition variant is meant for the U. S., while the Style is the international variant, meant for Europe, Latin America, and Canada.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, it's a really terrible decision on the naming. I understand they wanted to point out that the US variant was multi carrier without bloatware but it just makes things more confusing, especially given there was already a Pure Edition Moto X last year. Either way I really hope this new business model works out for them. This phone is truly everything the Nexus 6 should have been last year.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Would the style or pure phones work in Canada?

The Style and the Pure Edition are the same phone spec-wise. The Pure Edition variant is meant for the U. S., while the Style is the international variant, meant for Europe, Latin America, and Canada.

That's technically incorrect, the PE will work in any country that uses the same bands as the US. What Moto is basically doing is dumbing the selection down for buyers who don't know how that works. I could order a PE online if I was in Canada for ecample and shove a Sim card from most Canadian carriers in it np

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

That's technically incorrect, the PE will work in any country that uses the same bands as the US. What Moto is basically doing is dumbing the selection down for buyers who don't know how that works. I could order a PE online if I was in Canada for ecample and shove a Sim card from most Canadian carriers in it np

Obviously you're right. I'm just going by Motorola's "logic".

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Mod note: Thread stuck for now.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: FYI: Moto X Style (intl) and Moto X Pure Edition (US) are the same phone

I would have called the Moto X Play the Moto M so that the Moto X Style aka Moto X Pure Edition could simply just be the third generation Moto X.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site

I would have called the Moto X Play the Moto M so that the Moto X Style aka Moto X Pure Edition could simply just be the third generation Moto X.

Why M? I'd've called the Moto X Play just the Moto Play and the Moto X Style either the Moto X or the Moto Style. I'm fine with modifiers, but only if they replace the letter.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Why M? I'd've called the Moto X Play just the Moto Play and the Moto X Style either the Moto X or the Moto Style. I'm fine with modifiers, but only if they replace the letter.

Because it's between G and X. :)

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

This thread got me reading a little and there seems to also be software differences between the Style and Pure editions. According to Engadget:

You're getting as close to vanilla Android as possible, without buying a Nexus device. Of course, you can always buy the Pure Edition of the Moto X Style and get even closer to that Nexus experience. But if you go with the standard version, you will get Motorola's add-ons like Moto Assist, Moto Display and Moto Actions, which are actually kind of helpful and minimally intrusive.

So, it seems the "Pure Edition" gets you closer to stock Android.

Question for the community, I am a U.S. based employee using T-Mobile and travel to Europe frequently (and stay there for a couple of weeks once I'm there). For this type of use, what are you thoughts about Style vs. Pure Edition?

BTW, if you are interested in the entire Engadget post, here is the link: The Moto X Style is big, gorgeous and (of course) highly customizable

EDIT: One more question.......Does the Moto X Style / Pure have a finger print scanner? Seems like an important feature for Android M which is not too far away. Important for me because I would like finger print scanning as an extra level of security when using my phone to pay for stuff.

Last edited:

ewak12321

Nov 13, 2013
plus.google.com

It's better without fingerprint scanners. If someone stole your password you can change it but fingerprints you can't change. I read today that it's very easy to steal fingerprints from smartphones even iPhone and even from your photo where fingers are seen! :O

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9295 mit Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

This thread got me reading a little and there seems to also be software differences between the Style and Pure editions. According to Engadget:

You're getting as close to vanilla Android as possible, without buying a Nexus device. Of course, you can always buy the Pure Edition of the Moto X Style and get even closer to that Nexus experience. But if you go with the standard version, you will get Motorola's add-ons like Moto Assist, Moto Display and Moto Actions, which are actually kind of helpful and minimally intrusive.

So, it seems the "Pure Edition" gets you closer to stock Android.

Question for the community, I am a U.S. based employee using T-Mobile and travel to Europe frequently (and stay there for a couple of weeks once I'm there). For this type of use, what are you thoughts about Style vs. Pure Edition?

BTW, if you are interested in the entire Engadget post, here is the link: The Moto X Style is big, gorgeous and (of course) highly customizable

The Moto X Style and Moto X Pure Edition should/will have the same software experience. Both will have the Moto App with Moto Assist, Display, and Actions. The Pure Edition does not get you any closer to stock Android.

LuvMusic

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

The Moto X Style and Moto X Pure Edition should/will have the same software experience. Both will have the Moto App with Moto Assist, Display, and Actions. The Pure Edition does not get you any closer to stock Android.

While I have no reason to disagree with you, that is NOT what the Engadget review indicates. I am not an expert on what Moto is doing and there are always discrepancies in the media about what phones are / are not. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

While I have no reason to disagree with you, that is NOT what the Engadget review indicates. I am not an expert on what Moto is doing and there are always discrepancies in the media about what phones are / are not. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Ry is right in this one. It's the same phone.. They just named the US version the Pure Edition so consumers can ensure to nab the one that works on Sprint and Verizon (if need be).

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

That article is an example of Moto's naming scheme confusing people. As mentioned already, the Style is the name for the international variant, but Moto decided to go with Pure Edition for the US one.

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So why is the moto x called two different names

Moto x pure and moto x style, why is there two names used? Aren't they the same?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38