Can I Disable Turbo/Quick charge on the Moto X Pure Edition?

Tristan944

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
Is there a way to disable Turbo charge for when you don't need it to charge quickly, like at night when your asleep? Then just have it charge at a slower regular rate that doesn't heat up the battery.

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Disable Turbo/Quick charge?

Use a different charger? Just charge it quick, it won't hurt anything.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Use a different charger? Just charge it quick, it won't hurt anything.

WRONG! Heat is BAD for batteries. Not sure how many times this has been repeated in numerous forums.
Now if your battery does not get hot doing a rapid/quick/turbo charge then fine. But if it does get hot every time you use the turbo charger then you are degrading the life of the battery. :(
See several article links below.

Six things to know about smartphone batteries - CNET
How Heat and Loading affect Battery Life - Battery University
Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic
Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death - HowStuffWorks

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

The Samsung fast charger is a good option, since charges within 15 to 20 minutes of the Moto charger, less heat and handy as a second charger.

amosrock

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

Mine only heats up if it's plugged into the turbo charger while I'm using it. Doesn't seem to heat up much if its just charging overnight.

Does the turbo charging affect that battery life though? Everything I read about the XPE is that it should last at least a day with normal use. I don't use my phone enough to even constitute "normal use" I don't think and yet I have to charge it at least 2-3 times (luckily it charges fast...)

Honestly I use my phone on my way to work to play music in my car (about an hour), sporadically throughout the day to send a few text messages. I generally watch about 45 min of netflix on my lunch. And then about another hour of music in the car on my way home. It's usually close to dead (under 30%?) by the time I get home. After I get home I use it a lot more so it's basically dead within about 30 minutes from that time and I have to plug it in.

With my iPhone 6+ that I'm switching from I'd still have at least 50-60% of my battery left by that time and it would last me through the rest of the night with more consistent use.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

TurboPower 15 will charge slower but still give you Quick Charge 2.0.

OP- are you having heat issues with the TurboPower 25?

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I use the charger from my '13 Moto X for overnight charging. Full charge by the morning and the phone stays nice and cool.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I use the charger from my '13 Moto X for overnight charging. Full charge by the morning and the phone stays nice and cool.

I do something similar with my X Play. Turbo charging only if I need it in the middle of the day and the 0.5A charger from my old Moto G at night.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I do something similar with my X Play. Turbo charging only if I need it in the middle of the day and the 0.5A charger from my old Moto G at night.
I do the same thing. Charger from my '14 X for overnight charging and turbo charger if I need it during the day or in the car.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Tristan944

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site

OP- are you having heat issues with the TurboPower 25?

No, I don't think so. It gets warm but not hot.

I think the recommendations of using a regular charger is a great idea for overnight. I'll do that.

ezvv

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone answer this for me? I have the mxpe and my wife just got the galaxy s6. Will it do any damage to her phone if she uses the turbo charger that came with the XPE?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone answer this for me? I have the mxpe and my wife just got the galaxy s6. Will it do any damage to her phone if she uses the turbo charger that came with the XPE?

No.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Using the 25w my phone gets quite warm. When using it, while its charging, it gets very hot. Should I switch to a different charging cord?

Well, heat is not good for the longevity of your battery. I try to avoid using it while charging, so I charge overnight or at times I know I won't be using it.
One solution as mentioned is to use a regular charger, but then you lose the quick charging feature. It's up to you.
I wouldn't worry about the phone getting warm though, unless it gets very hot.

Ryaan Johnson

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Well, heat is not good for the longevity of your battery. I try to avoid using it while charging, so I charge overnight or at times I know I won't be using it.
One solution as mentioned is to use a regular charger, but then you lose the quick charging feature. It's up to you.
I wouldn't worry about the phone getting warm though, unless it gets very hot.

Stop spreading myths.. New phones with newer battery tech will not hurt the battery using the quick charger

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...2FTurboPower%2Fturbopower.html&token=ZdsdkMiw

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Mine only heats up if it's plugged into the turbo charger while I'm using it. Doesn't seem to heat up much if its just charging overnight.

Does the turbo charging affect that battery life though? Everything I read about the XPE is that it should last at least a day with normal use. I don't use my phone enough to even constitute "normal use" I don't think and yet I have to charge it at least 2-3 times (luckily it charges fast...)

Honestly I use my phone on my way to work to play music in my car (about an hour), sporadically throughout the day to send a few text messages. I generally watch about 45 min of netflix on my lunch. And then about another hour of music in the car on my way home. It's usually close to dead (under 30%?) by the time I get home. After I get home I use it a lot more so it's basically dead within about 30 minutes from that time and I have to plug it in.

With my iPhone 6+ that I'm switching from I'd still have at least 50-60% of my battery left by that time and it would last me through the rest of the night with more consistent use.

Why not charge it while listening to music in the car? Never understood why people don't charge their phones while in the car.

WRONG! Heat is BAD for batteries. Not sure how many times this has been repeated in numerous forums.
Now if your battery does not get hot doing a rapid/quick/turbo charge then fine. But if it does get hot every time you use the turbo charger then you are degrading the life of the battery. :(
See several article links below.

Six things to know about smartphone batteries - CNET
How Heat and Loading affect Battery Life - Battery University
Five tips for extending lithium-ion battery life - TechRepublic
Lithium-ion Battery Life and Death - HowStuffWorks

All of these articles are 5-6 years old? Do you have anything that has been written in the past year about batteries?

Last edited by a moderator: