Anyone using Adoptable Storage?

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a 128 GB Micro SD class 10 speed class 1 (PNY) and put it in the phone. I formatted it and migrated the data and apps that would move to the SD card. Then the fun began! Half of the apps would crash or not open and the ones that would took a very long time to open. After playing with it for a day I reformatted to portable and moved everything back to internal. I understand that some apps and not permitted to move to the card. Even apps that gave permission were a mess. Password Keeper, Instagram, Fox News and others were unusable. As soon as I would move the individual app back to internal it would work perfectly. My Fly Delta app would work from the card but would take about 45 seconds to open and another 30 to load the info. The card that I bought met the specs on the Motorola Web site for speed etc. Anyone using Adoptable storage without problems?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I am using it with a Samsung PRO+ 128GB grade 3. It was the fastest card I could find and the Z still said it was too slow.

I went with adoptable anyway and I did not get all the issues you did. All my apps are working just fine.

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
Were there any complaints about speed when setting it up? I had complaints about 2 UHS-1 cards.
I also bought a 64gb Pro+ and it's working pretty well.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe try a different brand, could be some compatibility issue with pny.

That is true I will try the samsung or sandisk. I am just kind of playing with it. I would like it to work

I just bought a Sandisk SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB Class 10 UHS-I 95 MBps Read MicroSD Memory Card on Amazon. It was a toss up between the Samsung and the Sandisk. Sandisk can be delivered tomorrow. Samsung would be Monday. Amazon Prime wins LOL

Last edited:

fr4nk1yn

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
@travaz I just tried Instagram and Fox News and both worked for me.

Class 10 and UHS-1 are the same minumum speed. UHS-3 triples that.
But in all actuality it seems if you do use adoptabe storage you're "giving away" the 32gb internal as only some apps and cache use it and it's inaccessible.

But like you i had to get it working.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
@travaz I just tried Instagram and Fox News and both worked for me.

Class 10 and UHS-1 are the same minumum speed. UHS-3 triples that.
But in all actuality it seems if you do use adoptabe storage you're "giving away" the 32gb internal as only some apps and cache use it and it's inaccessible.

But like you i had to get it working.

I appreciate the info and I just got the card it is a UHS-3. I am starting to think that it is the PNY card. I am thinking of doing a FDR and then starting over with the card. I haven't had the device very long so there is not that much stuff on it. When ever I get a new device I always take a week or two to migrate everything over.

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Update for anyone wanting to use adoptive storage. I got the UHS 3 Sandisk 64GB extreme pro card and installed it. i formatted it for adoptive storage and migrated data. i then went in and moved every app manually that was able to move. I did not do an FDR. When I went to format the card it said you card is too slow to use. If you get that ignore it. With the PNY card I got no such warning and it worked poorly. I got everything moved and did a power off and restart. All my games and apps work just fine now. I say the PNY was not capable or was faulty. Many of my apps crashed and would not open. With the Sandisk everything works flawlessly. I do see a very slight delay when i open apps but it is very slight and no problem. SO Kudo's to fr4nk1yn for suggesting the card change.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I am using the SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD. It also said it was too slow but I ignored it. I made it adaptable. So far, the only things I moved back to internal storage were apps I needed Widgets for and Facebook, which seemed very slow when opening (the F logo kept fading in and out for 5-12 seconds before opening)...The card is rated:

Performance/speed:Up to 90MB/s read speed, write speed lower)
Class 10 for Full HD video (1920x1080)

robinhelenehebert

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the card I got from the note 7 promotion and it works fine. It's a class 10 I believe. Another nice thing is when I download apps if they can go on the card they automatically do.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Which SD Card has actually not received the "too slow" message?
You need a card rated as U3. It should be x3 faster than the more common U1 cards.

https://www.slrlounge.com/different-u1-vs-u3-sd-memory-cards-cf-vs-xqd-cards/
U1 OR U3?

The first question is by far and away the most common today, and asks to find the difference between U1 and U3 rated*SD cards. What is being asked here is what the difference is between UHS-1 Class 1 and Class 3 cards. In simple terms, UHS-1 Class 1 has a min write speed of 10MB/s, and Class 3 has a min write speed of 30MB/s, and we’re talking also here about increased sustained write speed.

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
You need a card rated as U3. It should be x3 faster than the more common U1 cards.

https://www.slrlounge.com/different-u1-vs-u3-sd-memory-cards-cf-vs-xqd-cards/
U1 OR U3?

The first question is by far and away the most common today, and asks to find the difference between U1 and U3 rated*SD cards. What is being asked here is what the difference is between UHS-1 Class 1 and Class 3 cards. In simple terms, UHS-1 Class 1 has a min write speed of 10MB/s, and Class 3 has a min write speed of 30MB/s, and we’re talking also here about increased sustained write speed.

Great Info...the card I have is SanDisk Ultra microSDXC UHS-I Card and that's all the info have on it...

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I actually picked up this card at Best Buy Last night...SanDisk - Pixtor Advanced 64GB microSDXC Class 10 UHS-3 Memory

Formatted it as adoptable storage and didn't get the "too slow" message...nice... :)

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
How's everyone doing with their Adoptable Storage? The only problems I seem to have is with 60fps video. I tend to lose audio syncing. Not sure if this is common with internal storage or not.

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried AS for about a day. I realized that everything that had to do with storage had a several-second lag while I had it on. I have this:
61q9ardc0tL._SL1000_.jpg
and I expected it to blaze. But no...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress