Shattershield worries me

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
After owning the DT2 I learned my lesson. When getting the Force, first thing I did was a screen protector.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a Turbo and did not move to the Turbo 2 because of my fear of the ShatterShield tech. Everything I have read indicates that the top layer of the screen is plastic and scratches easily. My Turbo is naked and has never been scratched. I feel that it is odd to expect to put a glass screen protector on top of the ShatterShield tech just to stop it from scratching.

I am hoping for some real life usage tales. If I keep the phone in my pocket (sans keys) would I have issues? Is the top plastic layer not as smooth as glass?

The shattershield is one of the reasons I stayed away from this phone. Would have preferred GG4.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the Zagg glass protector on mine, which is great, but honestly it scratches pretty much just as easily as the Shattershield top layer. I've had mine for about 2 months and it has a bunch of micro scratches. I had my T2 for almost a year and it scratched at about the same date with no cover on it.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I have the Zagg glass protector on mine, which is great, but honestly it scratches pretty much just as easily as the Shattershield top layer. I've had mine for about 2 months and it has a bunch of micro scratches. I had my T2 for almost a year and it scratched at about the same date with no cover on it.

Huh... I hadn't paid attention, but you're right - my Zagg has a handful of minor scratches too. I'll probably leave it alone for another 6mo or so & then buy another protector, one that goes around the top sensors & is harder to tell there's a protector installed. Should have plenty of options & reviews on Amazon by then. Or I can try to take advantage of Zagg's warranty...

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Huh... I hadn't paid attention, but you're right - my Zagg has a handful of minor scratches too. I'll probably leave it alone for another 6mo or so & then buy another protector, one that goes around the top sensors & is harder to tell there's a protector installed. Should have plenty of options & reviews on Amazon by then. Or I can try to take advantage of Zagg's warranty...
Yeah I'll wait it out until it really bothers me, and then I'll take advantage of the warrantee for sure.

They're very minor scratches but present nonetheless, and honestly no different than what I was experiencing on my T2 throughout the year I used it as my daily driver.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
How do you replace the shattershield?

The ShatterShield is technically the entire multiple layer display system, but there is an outer lens that can be applied like a screen protector. Motorola has instructions. https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/108328/p/30,6720,9583

But be aware that Moto is not selling the replacement lens for the Moto Z Force online at this time - just for the Turbo 2 (and last I checked, it was sold out.) However, if you call Motorola it's possible that they will sell you one.

onedartech

Oct 23, 2016
Visit site
The ShatterShield is technically the entire multiple layer display system, but there is an outer lens that can be applied like a screen protector. Motorola has instructions. https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/108328/p/30,6720,9583

But be aware that Moto is not selling the replacement lens for the Moto Z Force online at this time - just for the Turbo 2 (and last I checked, it was sold out.) However, if you call Motorola it's possible that they will sell you one.

Thanks for the reply, has anyone received a replacement yet? Any idea when it will be available to order?

Danny311420

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I accidentally dropped it and my gf backed onto it...not totally,but I couldn't get it out from under the tire...she had to pull forward...this is day 3 of owning my phone, btw...and I thought this things trash...only a small 2 centimeter indent in the screen you can't even see when it's on... amazing zforce #1

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine screen got scratched the first day I owned it. I really can't see them but I also don't care as it is a work phone and I didn't pay for it. Working for Moto helps though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984