Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I really hope the Z Force isn't a Verizon exclusive.

The much larger 3,500mAh battery on the Z Force compared to the frankly pathetic 2,600mAh unit on the standard Z was enough to make me think "Pick the Z Force over the Z if you're considering one of these". And Shattershield is a nice bonus.

If it's a Verizon-exclusive all-year round.....

I'm inclined to agree about the battery. I was hoping this would be the year ending the Verizon Droid line.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked version, absolutely if it was releasing now. Verizon droid version, not touching that crap even if they give free.

By the time the useless exclusivity is over next gen phones like Note 7, next Nexus would be out so probably not getting this.

Big screw up Motorola. Good job!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree about the battery. I was hoping this would be the year ending the Verizon Droid line.
Until that contract finally expires, we'll be seeing them...

And really, 2600mAh is pathetic. We already know how it's roughly going to be like. Look at the Galaxy S6 for reference.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Until that contract finally expires, we'll be seeing them...

And really, 2600mAh is pathetic. We already know how it's roughly going to be like. Look at the Galaxy S6 for reference.

That tiny battery really is a shame. I don't see anyone choosing the standard Z over the Force by choice unless the price difference is crazy.

Related note, regarding the lack of the headphone jack. Engadget (I know, rival site) has an interesting editorial up about this very thing, and how it may affect people down the road. Long story short, by eliminating the headphone jack the manufacturers are putting it upon the headphone makers to include DACs and amps into the headphones, or you'll have to watch what's included in the adapter. Also, these things require power, and headphone makers are not going to prioritize a phone's battery life over sounding good (the editorial notes that a Lightning connector set of headphones noticeably reduced the battery life of an iPhone when in use because it draws so much power).

Count me in the camp that the removal of the jack and a paltry battery in pursuit of thinness that consumers don't seem to care about looks like a big mistake. Maybe this will change in the future, but right now it seems premature.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Moto phones have been awesome. Carrier branded? So? Don't see the big deal there. They have a light touch on the crapware and they are on my carrier. Verizon has been purely awesome for me so I don't see a downside. I'm all over this one. Maybe not the force though. I don't care about shatter proof and I don't want the plastic armor plate 😃

p08757

** Superhero **
Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have been a Moto fan since the OG-Droid. I like the idea of the modules especially the idea of the battery pack and JBL speakers. My last Motorola devices were the OG Moto-X (Love the size of that phone!) and Droid Turbo 64GB. Since updates have been really slow to come or nonexistent, I've moved on to Nexus phones. I've had the 5x (sold it to my son) and am currently on a 6P. I've had a really good experience with those 2 phones, and will probably keep on this path for the foreseeable future.

I will keep an eye on what Moto is doing, but I think I like my current path that I'm on.

Good luck Moto.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why such turmoil on the fingerprint sensor on the front? I sure don't remember this much whining with the fingerprint sensor being on the front on the Note 5. Okay, the headphone jack - easy fix with the adapter and years ago some phones came with them and well, no one really bitched because that's the way it was. I'm disappointed in the Z as well and don't think I'll be considering it but it seems like some are complaining just to complain.

Mark my words - once this releases the whiners will be following it and making their comments known. Just get what you like. Just because you don't like this phone doesn't mean thousands others have to agree with you.

I think it goes back to multiple generations of Moto phones and the Motorola Dimple on the back being a good place to put a fingerprint sensor and the current Nexus devices having it on the back.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Curt Chaffee

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

Same for me. I have enjoyed Moto software features on the first and second gens. When I'm driving with people they still freak out that my phone talks to me including asking whether I want to answer the call or respond to a text, all without touching the phone. But it was a big mistake to put a 2600mah battery in the non Droid Z and the size jump from my second gen X to the new Z is a nonstarter. I'm going to check out the ASUS Zenphoe 3 Deluxe and see if it is too big. It has better specs than the Moto Z and likely a better camera. If not that, then I will wait to see what the new Nexus phones look like this fall.

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
For me, this thing is going to come down to price. If it is priced in the 3-$400 range, that will leave room in my budget for mods. If it is priced like HTC/LG/Samsung, in the $6-$700 range, no way.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For me, this thing is going to come down to price. If it is priced in the 3-$400 range, that will leave room in my budget for mods. If it is priced like HTC/LG/Samsung, in the $6-$700 range, no way.

If the 32GB model is over $499.99, it's going to be a tough sell when last year's flagship started at $449.00 (32GB model).

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Given the specs, I'd say it will be in the S7/G5/10 price range. Yep, me either.

Posted via the Android Central App from my S7 edge

icee_man

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Well was hoping that Moto would keep the trend of making one phone that worked on all carriers. It looks like Lenovo couldn't help but see $$$ from Verizon to make not one but two exclusives for Verizon and then not even have them till sometime this summer. I'm on Verizon but am tried of getting a phone tied to a carrier. I am curious how you will put a case on the phone.....

jkovacs

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site

No. I would have considered it but I'm not waiting for exclusivity deal to expire. Goodbye MOTO.

...Joe K.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89