Anyone getting a Moto Z?

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Anyone getting one?

Or as simple as addressing camera hump complaints.

I see those two things as being handled differently:
  1. One is an issue of returned devices due to contacts not working which could incur heavy costs on Moto
  2. The other is an opportunity to make money due to people's vanity
Therefore if they come with a back plate, then issue 1 is more true then issue 2. And if they don't, then the reverse. That's why I said it will be telling either way.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Im pretty sure I will be passing on this. But anyone who decides to get one there's nothing wrong with that its a personal decision kinda thing :) It's just not what I'm wanting in my next device. Having said that I will probably check out the Z's forums once people start getting their phones to read up on others thoughts of it.

helichrysum

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
Yes.

However, my enthusiasm was absolutely destroyed when I heard the Verizon exclusivity. Carrier locked phones are an abomination and the primary reason I left Verizon. It also sounds like the Z Force might be a Verizon exclusive which works be really insane.

My problem is that I have too much faith in Motorola because I've tried so many phones and always end up back with my Moto's. I'll be giving the V10 a good run until the moto Z Force comes out, which sadly for this non Verizon customer might be a while.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I see those two things as being handled differently:
  1. One is an issue of returned devices due to contacts not working which could incur heavy costs on Moto
  2. The other is an opportunity to make money due to people's vanity
Therefore if they come with a back plate, then issue 1 is more true then issue 2. And if they don't, then the reverse. That's why I said it will be telling either way.

#1 is extremely important for Moto to get right. Moto has issues with its QA and its customer service. I had a MXPE that died after 6 months. I sent it back for warranty service. Moto sent me a refurbished brick--they never removed the prior owner's Google Account, so I couldn't use the device. I sent back the refurb. It took me over 3 weeks to get a usable device.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

If I bought one I wouldn't take a chance to find out how well bare metal contacts will stand up to the abuse of slapping them down on tables and the occasion drops on concrete.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
However, my enthusiasm was absolutely destroyed when I heard the Verizon exclusivity. Carrier locked phones are an abomination and the primary reason I left Verizon. It also sounds like the Z Force might be a Verizon exclusive which works be really insane.
I really hope the Z Force isn't a Verizon exclusive.

The much larger 3,500mAh battery on the Z Force compared to the frankly pathetic 2,600mAh unit on the standard Z was enough to make me think "Pick the Z Force over the Z if you're considering one of these". And Shattershield is a nice bonus.

If it's a Verizon-exclusive all-year round.....

Gaurav Sag

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition is an extraordinary gadget for particular clients. Google Android fans who can hardly wait until late September for the following Nexus uncover will appreciate the handset's almost unsullied Android experience. The $400 telephone evades the present pattern by offering outer capacity, and circles in backing for the world's most pervasive system advances - CDMA and GSM - so it ought to work with verging on each bearer.

Furthermore, with its various decisions of shading accents, engravings and materials, having a Moto X Pure Edition implies having a gadget that mirrors your own style. Intensely consider this handset if that is an essential resource for you.

On the off chance that it's not, in any case, there are bunches of reasonable options. On the off chance that cash isn't an issue, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is the dominant Android supersize telephone: It's capable, snazzy and has a dependable battery.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
the Motorola Moto X Pure Edition is an extraordinary gadget for particular clients. Google Android fans who can hardly wait until late September for the following Nexus uncover will appreciate the handset's almost unsullied Android experience. The $400 telephone evades the present pattern by offering outer capacity, and circles in backing for the world's most pervasive system advances - CDMA and GSM - so it ought to work with verging on each bearer.

Furthermore, with its various decisions of shading accents, engravings and materials, having a Moto X Pure Edition implies having a gadget that mirrors your own style. Intensely consider this handset if that is an essential resource for you.

On the off chance that it's not, in any case, there are bunches of reasonable options. On the off chance that cash isn't an issue, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is the dominant Android supersize telephone: It's capable, snazzy and has a dependable battery.
I think you're a year too late, son. ;)

Posted via the Android Central App

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
From the leaks I was really skeptical, and today's unveiling confirmed my worries.

I currently have a MXPE, and while there are a couple things I don't like about it, you couldn't pay me to use the Moto Z or Z Force. Looks of a device are very important, and I don't remember the last time I was so repulsed by the appearance of a phone. I just couldn't imagine myself handing people my phone with comically large bezels (reminds me of budget handsets from 2013), an ugly fingerprint reader (and really? On screen keys and a front FPS?), awful metal contacts visible on the back, and an ugly camera hump. I'd be too ashamed to ever use my phone in public.

I wish they had continued with the natural progression of where the X line was heading, that would have been a nice phone. Instead they are going after... which market exactly? The millions of people who use iPhones or Samsung devices would never buy this device, it's just too complicated. Hardcore Android fans want a device that does it all in a single package. So that leaves who, people who want modularity and also happen to be on Verizon?

What are the actual use cases for most of the motomods anyways? In the unveiling today they showed a commercial where the person showed cat videos to zombies. They honestly couldn't come up with a better use case to show off? Tell me why I need it, then I'll consider it. If you don't even know then why bother selling it.

Posted via the Android Central App

deeplyarnab

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
I think i'll get the device

The things that bother me are the lack of 3.5 mm audio jack and the 2600 mAh battery (also no mention of usability with wet hands)
As for software updates that doesn't matter as i am mostly always on custom rom and mods. I root the phone usually within 3 days after receiving it.

On the 3.5mm audio jack topic i'd like to mention that i'm not quite a fan of using bluetooth headphones as a substitute cuz i'd rather not bother about battery of two things
If it lives upto its claim of 8 hrs of usage in 15 mins of charge then this can eliminate the music+charging concern.

I'd like to see what moto mods can bring, there might be mods for health/fitness (measuring heart rate n blood pressure & sugar), a tango mod (project tango!!), vr headset expandability (adding support for vr controllers), secondary e-ink display (bottom of back as kindle), a 1TB storage expansion using nvme ssd and more as such :-$ <3
If mods like these are possible then as they said the possibilities might be limitless.

The QHD display would've been a battery leech but thank god they went with the AMOLED route, i personally find the square shaped fingerprint sensor unappealing and where the hell are the speakers? ARE THEY F***ING DOWN FIRING:mad:?? i HATE to cup my hand around to be able to hear properly so motorola better do a better job with their sound, neglecting it by saying 'but there a mod for that!':confused: would be unacceptable.

It'll be awesome if the device costs around $500 or less as then it'll be good rival for OnePlus 3, Xiaomi Mi5, Asus Zenphones, Le eco max 2 and such.
Since the magnetic pins are flushed in the design i'd personally like if it was water repellant or ip56 protected but i think that's asking too much if the device is priced now considerably.

Winston P

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site

The fps on the back couldve worked, just put it on the oval like where the Batwing is on the XPE, so that the MotoMods go around it.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Except for the size, I was more interested in the PHAB.

I won't know for sure what my next phone is until I see the actual Nexus release.

Posted from my XT1575

Wizzy

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
A thin phone that nobody asked for versus the deletion of the headphone plug and decent battery which people want. The addition of a front fingerprint sensor and silly logo versus still wasting screen space with onscreen buttons. No thanks, Lenovo, this is a complete fail.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If it's available on AT&T later this year, I'll be thinking very hard about upgrading through the NEXT program. I love the thinness and design of the Moto Z, but I would really miss the wireless charging of my current Galaxy S6.

drpelpi

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
Verizon exclusive for so many months. 4 months to make it generally available for the rest of the World? No thanks, this is a new company that dont deserve my trust which is a pity because the devices seems ok. Waiting again for the next nexus.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Why such turmoil on the fingerprint sensor on the front? I sure don't remember this much whining with the fingerprint sensor being on the front on the Note 5. Okay, the headphone jack - easy fix with the adapter and years ago some phones came with them and well, no one really bitched because that's the way it was. I'm disappointed in the Z as well and don't think I'll be considering it but it seems like some are complaining just to complain.

Mark my words - once this releases the whiners will be following it and making their comments known. Just get what you like. Just because you don't like this phone doesn't mean thousands others have to agree with you.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards