Anyone getting a Moto Z?

Veteater

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
In no way, shape or form. This is the most exceedingly awful outline I've found in a telephone. Does it look terrible, as well as it needs equipment includes that it ought to have.There are more iphones in my family than droids.
Well taken. However I just have to debunk your point about the phone being gimped in order to sell the mods. While the projector is totally ludicrous tbh, no phone will ever have speakers remotely close to the NHL sound boost speaker available for the phone. There are Bluetooth speakers better than the Z's JBL mod, but the JBL mod is still a good buy. And the battery mod is a no brainer. Very few phones have a 4,820mAh battery or anything remotely close to it, and almost none have a 5,720mAh battery. The camera on the Z is not as good as the S7 but is a little better than, say, the iPhone 6S Plus's rig. The Z force's camera is in the league of the HTC 10 and S7 (not going by DxOMark tbh) so the Hasselblad True Zoom that is upcoming will only add to the experience. So in no way are any of the phones gimped, although neither includes a headphone jack. At least they used the leftover space for a larger battery than what would normally reside in phones of their thickness.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Well taken. However I just have to debunk your point about the phone being gimped in order to sell the mods. While the projector is totally ludicrous tbh, no phone will ever have speakers remotely close to the NHL sound boost speaker available for the phone. There are Bluetooth speakers better than the Z's JBL mod, but the JBL mod is still a good buy. And the battery mod is a no brainer. Very few phones have a 4,820mAh battery or anything remotely close to it, and almost none have a 5,720mAh battery. The camera on the Z is not as good as the S7 but is a little better than, say, the iPhone 6S Plus's rig. The Z force's camera is in the league of the HTC 10 and S7 (not going by DxOMark tbh) so the Hasselblad True Zoom that is upcoming will only add to the experience. So in no way are any of the phones gimped, although neither includes a headphone jack. At least they used the leftover space for a larger battery than what would normally reside in phones of their thickness.

In my opinion, the Z is for people who want to play around with the mods a lot. It's thin and lends itself to adding thick mods. The Z Force is for people who might just want to buy the style mods or maybe on occasion fiddle with the other mods. With its 3500mah battery, the Z Force is an incredible phone on its own, but does get heavy when you add the functional mods.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
•SPEAKER TEST•
OK, so I went back to the Verizon store to resolve service issues I was having with my droid turbo 2; meanwhile, while I waited for them to get to me, I did an audio test between the HTC 10, my Turbo 2, the Moto Z, and the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. I have created a rating scale, consisting of 100 points. 25 for loudness, 20 for clear audio, 25 for bass, and 25 for mids-treble, and an extra 5 thrown in for putting the speaker in the right location.
*Content utilized for the test:
Svidden- We Are (EDM/Dubstep)
Disturbed- Open Your Eyes (Rock)
LeafyIsHere (Voice/Talking)
Samsung Galaxy Note 7:
Loudness 17/25
Clarity 18/20
Bass 15/25
Mid-Treble 22/25
Location 2/5
Overall: 73/100...C
I just wish it were on the front, as it is a good speaker unit. It is well balanced, and while not as loud as the HTC 10 or the Droid Turbo 2, it is clear. Bass was decent, and Mids are where the speaker begins to come alive. Treble was not overly sharp or overly muddy... However, the phone was not at exactly full volume when tested, so I cannot comment on distortion at full blast (it was at 90% volume). Unfortunately, you cannot hear the speaker if you are holding it in landscape because it's n the bottom of the phone. So while a good speaker, it is in the wrong location.
Moto Z Droid:
Loudness 16/25
Clarity 20/20
Bass 13/25
Mid-Treble 25/25
Location 5/5
Overall: 79/100...C+
The Moto Z speaker is a good one. And, it is on the front, great for watching movies and playing video games with. However, the speaker is pretty mediocre as far as loudness goes. It is very clear in its sound, and distortion was unnoticed at full blast. Mids and highs were sharp and simply nice to hear on the Z and clearer than those of the Turbo 2, but the speaker lacks bass when compared to the Note 7, HTC 10, and its Droid Turbo 2 predecessor, although the EDM/Dubstep song played did sound decent on the Z, if a bit lackluster on bass. Other audio samples, especially voices, sounded very good on the Z, where bass really isn't required. As long as you don't listen to a ton of Dubstep music or anything that has more than moderate bass levels, the speaker on the Z is a good unit.
Droid Turbo 2:
Loudness 20/25
Clarity 17/20
Bass 19/25
Mid-Treble 22/25
Location 6/5 (EXTRA POINT!)
Overall: 84/100...B
The Droid Turbo 2's audio experience is simply enjoyable. No, the dual grilles at the bottom does not mean dual speakers. The right grille is the speaker, and the left is the loudspeaker. The one at the top is the earpiece, in a totally different setup than the Moto Z's "one speaker for all functions" approach. Since the speaker on the Turbo 2 is larger and most likely has more powerful drivers than that of the Moto Z's, the sound is louder and definitely more bass heavy, which can be seen almost instantaneously when the phone is listened to side by side with the Z. Anyway, the amount of bass is very enjoyable and comes in handy when listening to EDM/Dubstep music, or anything bass-heavy. Mids and highs weren't sharp and clear like the Z's; while they were definitely there in full precedence due to the notably balanced sound coming from the Turbo 2, they were a little muddy. I allotted the Turbo 2 the extra location point because although they are both on the front, the speaker at the top of the front is somewhat awkward. If the Turbo 2's speaker had slightly clearer sound (especially in mids and treble) then it would be one of the best (if not the best) single speaker units on the market to date. Definitely a great speaker unit.
HTC 10:
Loudness 23/25
Clarity 20/20
Bass 20/25
Mid-Treble 24/25
Location 6/5 (EXTRA POINT!)
Overall: 93/100...A
The HTC 10 simply takes the cake here. It is extremely loud and clear, and basically every point in every audio sample I played was repeated amazingly. There is the tweeter up top, and the woofer on the bottom, for Bass and Mids. Sure, the latter will be covered during gameplay, but the tweeter is decent by itself, though just as advertised, the tweeter is for treble. But the sound experience as a whole was simply amazing, and in my opinion, better than the HTC One M9 before it. If you want a great phone and an audiophile's dream that works on Verizon (I don't think the ZTE Axon 7 does) then the HTC 10 is the phone to beat. End of story.

DANG!!! You must have had a long wait. :)

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
W/battery mod the Z feels AMAZING in hand, almost to Moto X 2014 levels of good, with the added thickness and curve, and feels like it has a good weight, while not too heavy. I don't know exactly how much weight it adds to the phone. The force is definitely a more girth phone than the Z, and feels heavy in comparison, though it is not particularly heavy either. If you want a flagship Moto but don't care about mods (other than, maybe, style shells) then the Z force is the way to go, and currently one of the best all-round phones on the entire market. The Z is better for someone like me, who wants an extremely thin phone that could be used with Moto mods, and the user can choose between the two. I already have a very powerful bluetooth speaker, and I don't need a projector, so if I get a Z (serious consideration right now) my accessories would simply be a bumper, so the frame of the phone doesn't get all scuffed up, and the battery mod, so that I have a phone with a huge battery that feels good in hand. Price isn't such a big issue since I would simply get a Z on a trade in discount if I were to get one.

Couldn't agree with you more! That's the exact reason I purchased the Z over the Z Force and I keep the battery mod on all the time. Love it! Also have the Verizon bumper case, and it gives real good grip. Very happy with this setup. Battery life between the two batteries is so good and virtually has me doing more things with my phone without fear of running low. I'm not one who likes to charge it more than once a day.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more! That's the exact reason I purchased the Z over the Z Force and I keep the battery mod on all the time. Love it! Also have the Verizon bumper case, and it gives real good grip. Very happy with this setup. Battery life between the two batteries is so good and virtually has me doing more things with my phone without fear of running low. I'm not one who likes to charge it more than once a day.

What kind of battery life are you getting with the Z + battery mod?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately, camera reviews kept me from going Moto Z. It's the same 13MP Sony sensor used in the Nexus 6 and third gen Moto G.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
What kind of battery life are you getting with the Z + battery mod?

I always charge it at the end of the day, but the battery mod has not gone below 35% and more typically between 50 and 60% after 16+ hours. And the main phone battery still has 80% left, which is where the mod keeps it.

So if I didn't charge it at all, I'm guessing it would go around 3 days with my current usage, which since it's new the phone is hardly ever out of my hand.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I always charge it at the end of the day, but the battery mod has not gone below 35% and more typically between 50 and 60% after 16+ hours. And the main phone battery still has 80% left, which is where the mod keeps it.

So if I didn't charge it at all, I'm guessing it would go around 3 days with my current usage, which since it's new the phone is hardly ever out of my hand.

That's about the same as what I was doing with the battery mod. Honest question - why do you keep the battery mod on the phone? I'm not trying to be snarky. I've actually debated it was well. I love the feeling of having all that juice and knowing I couldn't kill the battery in one day if I tried, but it makes the phone really heavy and the Force battery is almost a 48 hour battery phone even without the mod.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Today's about the same as what I was doing with the battery mod. Honest question - why do you keep the battery mod on the phone? I'm not trying to be snarky. I've actually debated it was well. I love the feeling of having all that juice and knowing I couldn't kill the battery in one day if I tried, but it makes the phone really heavy and the Force battery is almost a 48 hour battery phone even without the mod.
Maybe it's not heavy to them.

anon(2978616)

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Today's about the same as what I was doing with the battery mod. Honest question - why do you keep the battery mod on the phone? I'm not trying to be snarky. I've actually debated it was well. I love the feeling of having all that juice and knowing I couldn't kill the battery in one day if I tried, but it makes the phone really heavy and the Force battery is almost a 48 hour battery phone even without the mod.

I have the Moto Z, not Z Force. The reason I purchased the thinner one was too use the battery mod with it on a regular basis. As far as weight, it's a little heavier than my Droid 2 by about an ounce, but feels very solid in the hand.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know the total weight of the Z + battery mod? I find this set up intriguing. I can keep the phone light, especially when I carry it while exercising. And then I can have lots of juice when I need it if I'm away from the charger for a while.

helichrysum

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site
I kind of expected a lot more chatter on here from people who have picked up the phone. Not to much going on in the entire Z forum. Maybe not selling that well among the forum tech types.

The realities of carrier exclusivity. My enthusiasm for this lineup went from 100 to 20 when I learned about the Verizon exclusive. Then from 20 to 0 when I learned about the Force always being strictly Verizon. Seriously questioning the judgement by those who made that decision. Judging by the recent mass layoffs at lenmoto I guess they're questioning it too.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I kind of expected a lot more chatter on here from people who have picked up the phone. Not to much going on in the entire Z forum. Maybe not selling that well among the forum tech types.

I was expecting the same as well. I even created a thread to see how many Canadians are getting the Moto Z when it launches and no one replied. I'm posting to myself in that thread. It's a lonely world out there. But honestly what I posted on my thread is true and the Moto Z will be a major flop worldwide if Motorola doesn't drop the price.

I'm still getting the Moto Z. :)

Last edited:

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, if I was Motorola, I'd go all in on the Moto Z Play and just dominate the midrange space. The flagship world is too difficult to own.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I ordered an unlocked Moto Z (for use on AT&T) after trying it at VZW. It is supposed to be here Tuesday. Time will tell how I like it, but I am excited to get it and try it out. I will also check out the Pixel event on Tuesday to see what Google has to say about the Pixel and XL (beyond what we already know) and to see about pricing. It sounds like the Pixel XL may be priced higher than the Moto Z.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I was expecting the same as well. I even created a thread to see how many Canadians are getting the Moto Z when it launches and no one replied. I'm posting to myself in that thread. It's a lonely world out there. But honestly what I posted on my thread is true and the Moto Z will be a major flop worldwide if Motorola doesn't drop the price.

I'm still getting the Moto Z. :)
More like Moto Zzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe things will pick up soon when release is more widespread. Problem is it's not new anymore. See if things wake up in here soon. Doubtful. The HTC 10 forum has more going on and that was released many months ago.

wirelessgal

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
More like Moto Zzzzzzzzzzz. Maybe things will pick up soon when release is more widespread. Problem is it's not new anymore. See if things wake up in here soon. Doubtful. The HTC 10 forum has more going on and that was released many months ago.

That's why Motorola should never have given exclusive rights to Verizon to sell first. Motorola would've made a lot more money if both Moto Z's were available Worldwide in the summer.
I can only get the Moto Z from my carrier. I don't know if other 3rd party resellers are picking up the Moto Z. I know Costco isn't because they told me it won't sell well and they only carry popular phones.
I did pre-order the Moto Z and I'm #82. So that gives you an idea of how bad the Moto Z is selling so far.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
And if that strategy had worked so well with the MXPE that got strong reviews they would have done that again. But apparently they didn't so this year they took some guaranteed money from Verizon.