Anyone Ever Compare a Galaxy S7 to a Motorola Device (MotoZ Droid, G4, etc?)

Bold9930

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up an S7, but was very interested in the Moto Devices (sorta all over the map regarding which one), but all I've seen has been reviews highlight the S7 as being the "best" Android phone to buy. As with anything in life, this is always subjective, but am I missing anything having not gone with a Moto device? I like some of the $200 Moto devices, but perhaps the performance, etc won't appeal to me now that I've been using this S7? Keep in mind that I'm still within my 14 day evaluation period.

One factor worth mentioning: I did tend to focus on a screen that was sub 5.5 inch and not so tall, so clearly the S7 was on the short list, but I still have a fascination with Motorola for some reason. I was trying to avoid having a phablet in my pocket. :D

Thoughts?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up an S7, but was very interested in the Moto Devices (sorta all over the map regarding which one), but all I've seen has been reviews highlight the S7 as being the "best" Android phone to buy. As with anything in life, this is always subjective, but am I missing anything having not gone with a Moto device? I like some of the $200 Moto devices, but perhaps the performance, etc won't appeal to me now that I've been using this S7? Keep in mind that I'm still within my 14 day evaluation period.

One factor worth mentioning: I did tend to focus on a screen that was sub 5.5 inch and not so tall, so clearly the S7 was on the short list, but I still have a fascination with Motorola for some reason. I was trying to avoid having a phablet in my pocket. :D

Thoughts?

Samsung has top of the line specs and a top notch camera. if you do not take a lot of pics, or play lots of intensive games, you won't lose out on much with a moto. It is essentially different strokes for different folks. The z has been reported to get similar performance as the s7. The g line is a nice mid range phone so might not be as smooth as a flagship samsung device. Not really a bad choice going with either brand.

Bold9930

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has top of the line specs and a top notch camera. if you do not take a lot of pics, or play lots of intensive games, you won't lose out on much with a moto. It is essentially different strokes for different folks. The z has been reported to get similar performance as the s7. The g line is a nice mid range phone so might not be as smooth as a flagship samsung device. Not really a bad choice going with either brand.

Thanks for the reply. I don't do games, but take a fair amount of pics. The g line caught my interest initially. I think they look good too. Comming off a BB, I don't need S7 processors, but as you can imagine, it's certainly nice to have.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm personally not a fan of how Samsung changes Android, or their apps. I also really like some of the stuff Moto does with their upper devices (twist for camera, chop for flashlight, better always listening features, etc). The mods are cool, but so far there aren't any that are "gotta have" for me. I have the Z Force, and it's just a flat out great phone.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I don't do games, but take a fair amount of pics. The g line caught my interest initially. I think they look good too. Comming off a BB, I don't need S7 processors, but as you can imagine, it's certainly nice to have.

The g4 plus has gotten pretty good reviews in terms of camera, it may be a little on the large side though (it is 5.5" screen)
Here are some comparisons to consider Motorola Moto G4 Plus vs. Samsung Galaxy S7
And some camera comparisons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hs-4X6jpw
Hope that helps.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally not a fan of how Samsung changes Android, or their apps. I also really like some of the stuff Moto does with their upper devices (twist for camera, chop for flashlight, better always listening features, etc). The mods are cool, but so far there aren't any that are "gotta have" for me. I have the Z Force, and it's just a flat out great phone.

This is true. The Z Force is an incredible phone even without any mods.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Is this an intensive game? http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=705066

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and liked it a lot. But could not stand the transition to a home button instead of haptic. Also did not like Samsung installing new programs on the phone so much. Also did not have 3 dot (...) button available on some apps. Thought it might be latest Android release. I got the Z Force and found the ... are there on Moto's phone and now have the haptic home button. Personal preferences I know. Doubt I will try Samsung again.

Bold9930

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I have an S7 Edge and liked it a lot. But could not stand the transition to a home button instead of haptic. Also did not like Samsung installing new programs on the phone so much. Also did not have 3 dot (...) button available on some apps. Thought it might be latest Android release. I got the Z Force and found the ... are there on Moto's phone and now have the haptic home button. Personal preferences I know. Doubt I will try Samsung again.

I've been watching some youtube comparison vids and I'm not seeing much difference in performance between them...I'm sure for certain situtions or games the margin of performance may be greater, but for most of what I need/want, both seem like capable. I think I need to go to the Verizon store and play with some Moto phones and see what I can discern. I think one of my major concerns was using a larger/longer phone like the Motorola's and how they'd fit in my hand or in the pocket. The MOT phones are the thinnest and also lightweight, but I've never handled or carried around a 6" tall phone before. :).

The S7 isn't a perfect size for one hand, but it's not bad either.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Have owned the S7, S7 Edge and Z Force Droid. Long story short, the S7 and S7 Edge have been sold. (As has my iPhone.) That's how much better I like the Z Force. The most fun I've had with a phone since my original iPhone.

Bold9930

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Have owned the S7, S7 Edge and Z Force Droid. Long story short, the S7 and S7 Edge have been sold. (As has my iPhone.) That's how much better I like the Z Force. The most fun I've had with a phone since my original iPhone.

Cool...Can you provide a sense of what the biggest factors were for switching to the Z Force?

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Cool...Can you provide a sense of what the biggest factors were for switching to the Z Force?

Well, I switched because I'm restless and I like to play. :D

I stayed because of battery life, screen durability, mods (love the mods!), speed, no lag, appearance, turbo charge, near stock Android experience (for now) and feel. One thing I still don't really like is the camera though. Low light pictures aren't great and it seems to take an unusually long time between pressing the shutter button and actually capturing the photo.

Bold9930

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Well, I switched because I'm restless and I like to play. :D

I stayed because of battery life, screen durability, mods (love the mods!), speed, no lag, appearance, turbo charge, near stock Android experience (for now) and feel. One thing I still don't really like is the camera though. Low light pictures aren't great and it seems to take an unusually long time between pressing the shutter button and actually capturing the photo.

My S7 hungup on me 4 times today. :D