How to: Adjust DPI on the Moto Z Play (no root required)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This isn't a true "how to", because I don't have the expertise to walk people step by step through it in detail or diagnose *any* problems with ADB, but here is how I did it:

1) make sure you have ADB installed. There's probably a "right" way to do it from Google...I just used this file: [TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers -… | Android Development and Hacking

2) you may need to update drivers and stuff, this is a PITA for me every time I try to do something, but this thread fixed it for me (go into Compter / Device Manager / right click on Unknown, Android Device, and select the ADB driver) android - ADB No Devices Found - Stack Overflow

3) In the command window enter: "adb shell wm density 420 && adb reboot" (no quotes). More detail available here: [GUIDE] How to change DPI with or without ro… | Samsung Galaxy S7

4) your phone will reboot and now you will have the same DPI as the Nexus 5X (i.e. more stuff fits on the screen)

I have found 1 'bug' so far, the digital clock widget (stock android one) has the little 'alarm' icon the wrong size. Otherwise the UI is flawless.

If you want to revert back to normal
5) In the command window enter: "adb shell wm density 480 && adb reboot"

ChuckWithAZ3v

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
This isn't a true "how to", because I don't have the expertise to walk people step by step through it in detail or diagnose *any* problems with ADB, but here is how I did it:

1) make sure you have ADB installed. There's probably a "right" way to do it from Google...I just used this file: [TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers -… | Android Development and Hacking

2) you may need to update drivers and stuff, this is a PITA for me every time I try to do something, but this thread fixed it for me (go into Compter / Device Manager / right click on Unknown, Android Device, and select the ADB driver) android - ADB No Devices Found - Stack Overflow

3) In the command window enter: "adb shell wm density 420 && adb reboot" (no quotes). More detail available here: [GUIDE] How to change DPI with or without ro… | Samsung Galaxy S7

4) your phone will reboot and now you will have the same DPI as the Nexus 5X (i.e. more stuff fits on the screen)

I have found 1 'bug' so far, the digital clock widget (stock android one) has the little 'alarm' icon the wrong size. Otherwise the UI is flawless.

If you want to revert back to normal
5) In the command window enter: "adb shell wm density 480 && adb reboot"
Hey, great guide! I've got a MZP at 400 dpi right now, I would love to go lower to 320 but the camera mode selector doesn't work below 400, Just a discovery I wanted to share.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey, great guide! I've got a MZP at 400 dpi right now, I would love to go lower to 320 but the camera mode selector doesn't work below 400, Just a discovery I wanted to share.
Does it work correctly at 400? I found at 420 the camera mode buttons to be misaligned (you had to tap away from the button to get it to register)

DragonPoo

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I tried this on my own. I found that I had to put the USB connection into file transfer mode, and enable developer USB debugging, for ADB to recognise it. After that, I played around with both 400 and 320 dpi. I found 320 was too small for my eyes on some menus, but 400 is satisfactory.

I hope the Nougat update brings more flexibility to the scaling options.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I tried this on my own. I found that I had to put the USB connection into file transfer mode, and enable developer USB debugging, for ADB to recognise it. After that, I played around with both 400 and 320 dpi. I found 320 was too small for my eyes on some menus, but 400 is satisfactory.

I hope the Nougat update brings more flexibility to the scaling options.
Nougat does. You have a generic slider option and in developer options you can put in the actual number you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress