Can't get rid of notification number on texting app.

Jessica Kitcey

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
In the last few days I have noticed that on the main screen where I have my texting app icon, the little orange square, noting the number of unread texts, isn't disappearing after I read the texts. It's up to 8 now, I have read/ received more than that amount of texts in the last few days, so I'm not even sure what it is referring to. But I have tried to go into app manager and turn notifications off then restart my phone, still there. Turn notifications back on, still there. Archived tons of threads, still there. I have made a different app the "default" texting app and the notification went away, until I turned my it back on as my default app. I do not want to use a different texting app as I have issues with video texting then. (the videos turn out all stretched out to the receiver of the video text) I have scrolled through all the threads and I don't have any unread texts. It's just annoying that I cannot get it to go away. Any ideas?

Icemax60

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
You could try and go into the app manager and click up on the top right hand side and show system apps. There should be one called badger. You can try disabiling clearing the cache and renabling it then restart the phone.

Jessica Kitcey

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Well I ended up doing this but had to try again, the second time after I did the clearing and disabling I then restarted the phone then re-enabled the badger. But thank you for the answer! My annoyance level has dropped significantly!

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to you both for figuring this out. Must have been the recent upgrade to google messenger, and this has been happening for about the last week or more for me too. ANNOYING!

djousma

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
OK, this did NOT fix my badger problems with google messenger. I'm convinced that the recent update to it is causing this problem. I switched to Verizon messenger+ and everything working fine. I guess I'll learn to like this at least for now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Mine started doing it today... Grrrrr

This could be due to the Amazon AWS service outage yesterday. Maybe whichever SMS app you are using couldn't update unread counts with the server while the outage was happening. (A lot of online services use Amazon AWS.)

rinconmike

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
This could be due to the Amazon AWS service outage yesterday. Maybe whichever SMS app you are using couldn't update unread counts with the server while the outage was happening. (A lot of online services use Amazon AWS.)
Issue started for me after the messages app update last week.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm experiencing this issue with Google Messenger. I suspect it's related to an app update. Switching to Verizon Messages+ sort of addresses it for me. I don't mind since I have it in a folder.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The latest update for Android Messages (Google Messenger) fixes this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87