Data Roaming Won't Stay On

Ethame

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone figure out how to get the data roaming option to stay on?

I live in an area where verizon allows data through Golden State Cellular, no additional charge, and everytime I lose signal in that area I have to go re-check Data Roaming. Driving me nuts.

Help me Android Central :)

(Update 8/5/2011)
I just got off the phone with Motorola techs, I went through some steps with him but I don't think it'll work.

Basically, I was told it's designed to work like this - which is going to be VERY frustrating for me.

First he had me go in to mobile network settings, and change the system select to Automatic (I had to change network mode to CDMA, both of which I am fairly certain I had done in the past)

Then he had me go into settings again, data roaming, and make sure that Data Roaming and the top one were checked (I don't recall what the top box was) Top box was checked, but the data roaming was SHOCKINGLY uncheked again.

But, apparently this is working as intended according to motorola.

Last edited:

Ethame

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue this past weekend in North Central Indiana with it losing the data
are you still having your issues?

Motorola told me to shut off, pull battery for a minute, then restart the phone, didn't do any good for me, I still lose data roaming, and have to recheck the box

bsucards

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
are you still having your issues?

Motorola told me to shut off, pull battery for a minute, then restart the phone, didn't do any good for me, I still lose data roaming, and have to recheck the box
I haven't been back up to the area where I lost signal. I had never pulled the battery when I was in the area., but I can confirm that I have pulled my battery again and as I sit in a 3g area, the data roaming is turned off still.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
So is this yet another Moto issue like the Exchange/Active Sync issue or a Verizon programming issue to help you manage your exciting new data plans (seriously that's their commercial when you call in).

Jeepzor

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue, but I deal with it everyday. I actually live in a place that doesn't have verizon but they have aggrements with uscellular. So when I stay in this area the roaming stays on but if I leave and get on verizon 3g and then come back to roaming I have to turn it back on...its a pain in the butt.

bsucards

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Heading back to North Central Indiana today, going to be a long day of remembering to turn the data roaming on all the time. Anyone have an idea on this

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue, but I deal with it everyday. I actually live in a place that doesn't have verizon but they have aggrements with uscellular. So when I stay in this area the roaming stays on but if I leave and get on verizon 3g and then come back to roaming I have to turn it back on...its a pain in the butt.

This would be my same situation. Our area is US Cellular, but the town I go to sometimes has Verizon. This would be a PAIN if I had to turn the data roaming on all of the time. My BlackBerry does not have this problem. Would Moto be able to fix this with a software upgrade or fix?

Ethame

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Motorola techs, I went through some steps with him but I don't think it'll work.

Basically, I was told it's designed to work like this - which is going to be VERY frustrating for me.

First he had me go in to mobile network settings, and change the system select to Automatic (I had to change network mode to CDMA, both of which I am fairly certain I had done in the past)

Then he had me go into settings again, data roaming, and make sure that Data Roaming and the top one were checked (I don't recall what the top box was) Top box was checked, but the data roaming was SHOCKINGLY uncheked again.

But, apparently this is working as intended according to motorola.

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I just got back home from my conference and this issue may end up being a deal breaker for me. My phone has constantly turned off data roaming. Any time the phone goes to sleep, the data roaming turns off. If it would only do it whem I switched from verizon service to roaming, I would deal with that, but turning off ALL the time cannot happen.

What is the phone number for moto so I can complain and ask for help. I need this fixed soon or I will be forced to return the phone and go back to blackberry.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like there might not even be a fix- what should I do? Is this just a moto 3 issue? Entire moto line issue (I.e.; will bionic also do this?), or a verizon issue? I don't want to wait months for moto to fix this, but I am not sure what to do.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Update:

I called-up Moto support today. First- they really are useless folks. I was on hold for about 20-25 minutes, while the lady checked with other folks to find the right answer. Finally, she came back, and said that I needed to talk to Verizon. I told her that I really did not think it was a Verizon problem, but she kept on saying I needed to speak to Verizon.

I called Verizon. They have some great tech support. Even with a good person to talk with, she verified that it was not a verizon problem, and probably a software problem. She recommended that I do a factory reset on the phone, and see if that would work. In the end, she said if that did not work, I should probably just turn the phone back in. She also agreed that manufacturer techs are worthless ;-)

I got back to my house, and the phone is still doing the same thing- turning off the roaming data every minute or so.

Looks like I will be mailing the phone back to Verizon.

If any of you also decide to take your phone back, make sure to call Verizon first. The lady I spoke with made a note on my account so I will get a 100% refund on the phone, and will not have to pay any restocking fee or anything like that.

I am really ticked off with moto right now. I LOVE this phone, but I cannot live with this stupid little problem. I also cannot wait weeks or months for moto to fix this.

It is sad when my BlackBerry 9630 has no problems and is surfing the web while the Droid 3 keeps on kicking off the data roaming option.

Please post if you find a solution!

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Does it make you go back and turn on the option? Could anyone else that has had this problem see if this is the cause? I just turned my Droid 3 back into Verizon, but would like to know if Juice Defender was the real problem.

I really liked the phone besides dropping the data roaming option all of the time.

hairball45

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard of Juice Defender and my phone does it here at the house constantly. We live in an area with strong coverage from a legacy Alltel tower and crappy Verizon coverage (just the very local area of our little town) and when the Alltel tower overrides Verizon, there goes data roaming. I havn't played with it much out of town.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer