How does D3 keyboard compare to other Android phones?

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I know that keyboard phones are something of a dying breed. However, I was wondering what those of you who have had other Android phones with keyboards think of the D3 keyboard comparatively. In other words, how does the D3 keyboard stack up when compared against the competition from HTC, Samsung, LG, etc? I absolutely love the D3 keyboard, but are there better physical keyboards out there?

kingsden

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
No there isn't. The keyboard on this wild ride is part of what makes it such an awesome machine with a thirst for speed. Ok, seriously, I love the keyboard because the buttons are so well spaced out! (Don't forget the dedicated number keys!)

Ps, can you answer my question?

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No there isn't. The keyboard on this wild ride is part of what makes it such an awesome machine with a thirst for speed. Ok, seriously, I love the keyboard because the buttons are so well spaced out! (Don't forget the dedicated number keys!)

Ps, can you answer my question?

What question?

A few posters here have said they prefer the LG keyboards, and I know that the some of the HTC Droid phones have nice keyboards too. I love the D3 keyboard, I was just wondering if there were others out there that posters felt positively about.

The Droid Shnoid

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I played around with one of the Samsung phones, (I think it was the Epic) a while ago while waiting for my friend who was dealing with Sprint.

I could have easily lived with it. But Verizon has the dominant coverage in my area, so I wasn't jumping.

troyst83

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely love this keyboard. I never used the OG D1's keyboard because it just didn't a layout that worked for me. The D3 is fantastic!

Dukeuni

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I had the phone for about a week and really liked the keyboard. I had a Blackberry 9630, and the keyboard worked just as well. Keyboard is one of the best things about the phone.

Jeryl31

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I've had an original Droid and Samsung Moment for qwerty keyboard phones and so far the Droid 3 is THE BEST one that I have ever used. However before my Droid 3 I've used touchscreen phones for a solid two years since the Samsung moment and it's a bit odd using a full keyboard again. Having the 4 inch screen almost gives me no reason to flip up the phone for the keyboard in my opinion

Jeryl31

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the phone for about a week and really liked the keyboard. I had a Blackberry 9630, and the keyboard worked just as well. Keyboard is one of the best things about the phone.

same here, the 9630 had a really nice keyboard, to the point where i didnt have to find a peck and just blindly text a full message

mbrouill

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my BB Curve with a D2G for work and fell in love with the keyboard. When I needed a personal phone I went with the D3 and I am even in more love. The D3 keyboard is one of the best I have played with...

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Its probably the best keyboard on a phone right now, they did it perfectly.

+1000

I like this keyboard better than the OG Droid (not much contest there; that one was just OK), and even better than any Blackberry keyboards I've ever used (which, most folks agree, are the gold standard in mobile phone keyboards).

I really like the spacing of the keys, the push force and the feedback from the buttons is just right and the bump height is big enough to feel from one key to the next, but not so big to hinder sliding my thumb from key to key, which makes it very easy to type fast without having to see the keys.

I'd say the only disadvantage this keyboard has compared to BB keyboards is the same disadvantage that all landscape keyboards have, which is that you can't effectively type with one hand. I gladly give up that ability, though, for the real estate that this keyboard has. And for one-handed typing, there is always the Swype soft-keyboard in portrait mode, which is very effective once you get the hang of it to the point where you don't need to see where all of the keys are while your Swyping.

-SR-

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Just got mine and typed a few messages with it man it really is a good keyboard was immediately comfortable with it

tkong

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I've had my share of smartphones (BBs to Android to iPhone), and the Droid 3 has the best hardware keyboard of the Droid Motorola line of phones. The BB keyboard is hands down the best I've ever used but the Droid 3 is a very close second. It has good travel and feedback. The stock Android touchscreen keyboard is average. It certainly does not come close to the iPhone's keyboard.

Pain505

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
i thought the sidekick lx keyboard was good, then i tried a blackberry curve 8330, then a blackberry bold 9700 was up there, but none of them compare to droid3 keyboard. however a few things i do not like on it is that alt characters, for example the question mark (?) is the alt character for the (/) button, i mean come on, on a phone you will use the question mark alot more.

BBash

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
This keyboard is 100% improved from Droid2. I really, really enjoy typing on it. I love having the swype and virtual keyboard options but my favorite way to type is on the physical keyboard.

NormanGC

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
+1000

I like this keyboard better than the OG Droid (not much contest there; that one was just OK), and even better than any Blackberry keyboards I've ever used (which, most folks agree, are the gold standard in mobile phone keyboards).

I really like the spacing of the keys, the push force and the feedback from the buttons is just right and the bump height is big enough to feel from one key to the next, but not so big to hinder sliding my thumb from key to key, which makes it very easy to type fast without having to see the keys.

I'd say the only disadvantage this keyboard has compared to BB keyboards is the same disadvantage that all landscape keyboards have, which is that you can't effectively type with one hand. I gladly give up that ability, though, for the real estate that this keyboard has. And for one-handed typing, there is always the Swype soft-keyboard in portrait mode, which is very effective once you get the hang of it to the point where you don't need to see where all of the keys are while your Swyping.

-SR-

I agree 100% with the above! One can't really type with one hand however, I can easily manage without that.

Coming from BB 8830 I can easily say that this keyboard is WAAAAAAY better! One of it's greatest advantages, is that it has the numbers row. This alone puts the keyboard in it's own class. I hated the fact that in order to use numbers I always had to use 2 keystrokes.

I knew I was going to upgrade to an android phone, but I was skeptical about switching to a phone with a touch screen only because I really like to have a physical keyboard. I liked the look of the D3 but initially I was worried about the slide out not being rugged enough. The more moving parts you have, the greater are the chances of breaking.

After using the phone for a month now, I can safely say that this was definitely worth getting. This phone is absolutely solid and I can count on one hand the number of times I used the touch screen keyboard.

It rocks!

BTW, Do any of you Ex BB fans, miss battery pulls? I'm thinking that I'll just open the back and pop the battery to see if I really miss having to do this! :p

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
... BTW, Do any of you Ex BB fans, miss battery pulls? I'm thinking that I'll just open the back and pop the battery to see if I really miss having to do this! :p

LOL! To be honest, I actually pull the back off of my D3 from time to time, just because I like flopping it around and snapping it back on (sort of like how some people click their pens, I guess); though, I just leave the battery in there. I am two phones removed from the BB life, now, so I don't really miss the battery pulls. :D

-SR-

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non