Some quick Android questions

shanshor

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a new Android user here! It's a little complex, and i had a few questions
1. I loaded my contacts onto the phone through gmail. Some of my contacts already had pictures assigned to them before syncing with Facebook. However, I would like Facebook photos to overwrite the ones that were already there. Is there a way to do this?

2. I rooted via the "do-it-all" windows program. I then installed Titanium Backup Pro and backed up all apps and settings and copied the folder to my computer. I also installed a root checker app and froze some bloatware. Anyways, I just read that there's supposedly an update coming, but I need to be at stock first. Do I really need to be at stock to get OTA updates, and if so, what are the steps to doing that? I would assume unfreeze the bloatware, and use the unroot function on the Windows app?

3. Can the D3 wake up from Sleep Mode by itself? I'm using it as an alternative for shutting if off, since sometimes the phone turns itself back on before fully shutting down.

4. Are there any other tips you guys have for speeding up the phone (root required, or stock). The phone is quick, but I do notice lag sometimes. :confused:

Thanks for any help you may be able to give!

akhi216

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a new Android user here! It's a little complex, and i had a few questions
1. I loaded my contacts onto the phone through gmail. Some of my contacts already had pictures assigned to them before syncing with Facebook. However, I would like Facebook photos to overwrite the ones that were already there. Is there a way to do this?

2. I rooted via the "do-it-all" windows program. I then installed Titanium Backup Pro and backed up all apps and settings and copied the folder to my computer. I also installed a root checker app and froze some bloatware. Anyways, I just read that there's supposedly an update coming, but I need to be at stock first. Do I really need to be at stock to get OTA updates, and if so, what are the steps to doing that? I would assume unfreeze the bloatware, and use the unroot function on the Windows app?

3. Can the D3 wake up from Sleep Mode by itself? I'm using it as an alternative for shutting if off, since sometimes the phone turns itself back on before fully shutting down.

4. Are there any other tips you guys have for speeding up the phone (root required, or stock). The phone is quick, but I do notice lag sometimes. :confused:

Thanks for any help you may be able to give!

I can help with the lag. Go to Settings>Manage Apps, click Media Area, and move all apps that are stored in Media Area to Phone if any. If you do have any apps that are moved to Media Area and you do this, you will see a noticeable speed improvement when pressing Home and opening the app drawer.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
According to Moto 1) An update is coming shortly, 2) If your phone is rooted, has custom software, etc you will not receive the update.

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
If you use the rooting app created by psouza4 (over at xda-developers), he has a lastest version that can also un-root the phone. I installed the leak of the update on my phone, but before I did, I used his utility to un-root the phone, then I instaleld the update, then I used the same utility to re-root the phone. Everything went fine. Yes, though, you will definitely want to unfreeze everything and un-root the phone before trying to install the update (whenever it comes).

Some folks who attempted to install the leaked update could not because they had physically modified some of the pre-installed software, removed it all together and/or changed the build.prop file. Don't do that! That is why it is always better to just freeze bloatware (or, just change the .apk extensions to .bak if you don't want to buy TBP) so that you can always undo it later if you have to.

-SR-

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
According to Moto 1) An update is coming shortly, 2) If your phone is rooted, has custom software, etc you will not receive the update.

Granted, you can't install it if you're rooted or have irreversibly changed some of the pre-installed software, but if you can undo said changes, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to install it. I didn't see anywhere that Moto actually said it wouldn't install, though.

-SR-

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Granted, you can't install it if you're rooted or have irreversibly changed some of the pre-installed software, but if you can undo said changes, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to install it. I didn't see anywhere that Moto actually said it wouldn't install, though.

-SR-

So at what point should someone unroot their phone? The OTA update is coming shortly, is it as simple as waiting to hear that the OTA is actually rolling out, unroot, then manually check for device update? Or should a person unroot sufficiently prior to the rollout?

-Suntan

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
So at what point should someone unroot their phone? The OTA update is coming shortly, is it as simple as waiting to hear that the OTA is actually rolling out, unroot, then manually check for device update? Or should a person unroot sufficiently prior to the rollout?

-Suntan

When the OTA update is available to you, you will get an automatic notice asking you if you'd like to install it. At that point, it would be a good idea to decline the update, then un-root your phone. After your all done returning to stock, go to Settings->About phone and click "System updates" and it will check for the update, find it, and ask you to install it again.

On the other hand, usually once an OTA update is available, it because available as a direct download either on this (or another) forum, or eventually through Verizon's website. In that case, you could forgo the OTA update all together and just download the update file, unroot your phone and then install the update manually. The update is still official, even if you install it manually.

-SR-

Reactions: Suntan

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The forcasted update will more than likely break root access. If the update doesn't fix the blue tint on the camera or screen redraw issues, then it might be wise to keep root and decline the update. I have a bad feeling that Motorola isn't going to fix these issues and the main purpose of the update is to patch root access. Time will tell.

P.S. I'm sure Team Black Hat will have a rooted version of the update shortly after its release.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

-SR-

The e-mail Moto sent out about the "soak" test specifically said that the install would not work if the phone was rooted, apps were frozen, or a custom ROM had been installed. It also advised owners that if they reverse the changes, they could still receive the update.

So, I definitely agreed that if you can "unroot" you should receive the update.

I really don't understand, from a technical perspective, how rooting would matter (to be honest). If the software is simply pushed to your phone, why would the installation be sensitive to an issue like frozen bloatware? Oh well, I guess I have a lot to learn about Android OS.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch