USB charging port going bad

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Wife's Droid 4 has a bad USB charging port that came to light tonight. Seems you have to wiggle the power cord and get it to sit just right to charge. I was able to lay it down on the end table and set the Kindle on top of the power cord and charging port area to get it to charge.

We are going tomorrow to Verizon to get a resolution to the situation, but just curious if anyone else has had such USB issues.

Caped Codder

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Wife's Droid 4 has a bad USB charging port that came to light tonight. Seems you have to wiggle the power cord and get it to sit just right to charge. I was able to lay it down on the end table and set the Kindle on top of the power cord and charging port area to get it to charge.

We are going tomorrow to Verizon to get a resolution to the situation, but just curious if anyone else has had such USB issues.

My issue is a little different. I am using an inductive charger. After I use my Square credit card reader my phone refuses to change via USB or inductive charger and it gets very hot. I reboot the phone and it starts charging again. It does the same thing after using a lap dock and last night, for the first time, it did this for no apparent reason at all.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Verizon said the phone is under warranty and a new one would be sent to us in a few days. I noticed the USB port was very loose tonight and wanted to come out of its slot so I figure it was a manufacturing defect. No biggie. We will see how her replacement phone is and hope it is fine.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I've got the same issue now myself. It started Friday, right before I had to go out of town. Now it's Sunday, I'm back in town, and it's gotten so bad that there's no way I can get it to take a charge. Over the weekend it gradually got worse, and even when I could get it to take a charge it took forever to charge up.

So frustrating. Anyone know if this was just a bad batch or an ongoing issue? If it is an ongoing issue then maybe I can get them to swap it out for another device...oh wait, they don't have any other decent QWERTY sliders on LTE..

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same issue now myself. It started Friday, right before I had to go out of town. Now it's Sunday, I'm back in town, and it's gotten so bad that there's no way I can get it to take a charge. Over the weekend it gradually got worse, and even when I could get it to take a charge it took forever to charge up.

So frustrating. Anyone know if this was just a bad batch or an ongoing issue? If it is an ongoing issue then maybe I can get them to swap it out for another device...oh wait, they don't have any other decent QWERTY sliders on LTE..

My wife's phone was ordered on a Saturday and we got it on a Monday. Couldn't believe we got the replacement that quick. She hasn't had an issue since.

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, it hit the VZW store first thing Monday morning to order my replacement. Since my old D4 would no longer take a charge via USB, I asked if they had any inductive chargers while I was there. At first they had no idea what I was talking about, and when I explained it to them they told me that they didn't make inductive chargers for the D4 "because it had an internal battery".

So off I go, hoping to get a backup and wipe done before my battery died. After getting all of my personal data copied to a mSD card that I had, I tried to wipe the phone/reset to factory defaults to make sure my data was cleared, only to discover that if you have less than a 25% charge the handset won't let you wipe/reset. So then I go to VZW's web site and find out that yes, they DO make an inductive charging cover for the D4 and their store rep was just being a lazy lump who didn't know what she was talking about. So I spent about half an hour calling around to all of the local stores to see if they had any actually in stock, and of course I couldn't find a single person at any VZW store who had even heard of inductive/wireless charging. Go figure.

Anyway, I eventually ended up ordering them, they got here Friday night, and I was able to use it to charge the old phone, wipe it, then send it out this morning. What a PITA.

Hopefully the USB port dying isn't a widespread issue. I just found out that my employer was issuing me a Droid 4 for business purposes, so now I'll have two of them.

Moo Cow

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, it hit the VZW store first thing Monday morning to order my replacement. Since my old D4 would no longer take a charge via USB, I asked if they had any inductive chargers while I was there. At first they had no idea what I was talking about, and when I explained it to them they told me that they didn't make inductive chargers for the D4 "because it had an internal battery".

So off I go, hoping to get a backup and wipe done before my battery died. After getting all of my personal data copied to a mSD card that I had, I tried to wipe the phone/reset to factory defaults to make sure my data was cleared, only to discover that if you have less than a 25% charge the handset won't let you wipe/reset. So then I go to VZW's web site and find out that yes, they DO make an inductive charging cover for the D4 and their store rep was just being a lazy lump who didn't know what she was talking about. So I spent about half an hour calling around to all of the local stores to see if they had any actually in stock, and of course I couldn't find a single person at any VZW store who had even heard of inductive/wireless charging. Go figure.

Anyway, I eventually ended up ordering them, they got here Friday night, and I was able to use it to charge the old phone, wipe it, then send it out this morning. What a PITA.

Hopefully the USB port dying isn't a widespread issue. I just found out that my employer was issuing me a Droid 4 for business purposes, so now I'll have two of them.

I hope it isn't either, knowing I own one and so does my mother-in-law. I've become attached to my Droid 4 because I really like it.

Varryl

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Not to resurrect a topic, but I've had the same problem on my droid 4. It basically looks like the usb port on the phone is getting larger or looser somehow, so the microusb connector on the charger has difficulty seating properly. I've actually compiled a list of chargers that I own that still connect and don't, because I don't want yet another phone (3 replacement droids in 2 years) to set up and install.

What i've done instead is hack up a few of my old usb chargers at the connector, reseated the usb pins inside it, and spread out the encasing metal on the connector for a better contact, and so far that works.

It seems that my usb port on my droid 4 is still getting looser though, so more and more chargers are not working as well.

If anyone has successfully re-set their usb port on their phone let me know. Might be helpful if it's a relatively simple process. I suppose I could go for inductive charging instead.

PS Also, if anyone has a Kindle gen 2, the charger for that seems to pit perfectly with my phone still. Not sure about the other kindle versions, I don't own any others.

derrick19

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
i've been having charge issuse for about a few months but have over looked it, but now its realy irritating me. before i got my droid razr i had a motorola citrus that was doing the exact same thing.................... :'(. sad thing is i have no money to get it replaced but oh well.

joanne harrison

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
My Droid 4's mini usb failed in the first four months. I returned it and was sent a refurbished one that in 4 months also had the same problem again. I tried to return it again and Verizon threatened that if it didn't qualify for the warranty it would void my insurance and I would have to buy a phone at full price. They said this both on the phone customer service and at the store. The reason was too many people were seeking warranty work. Two months later... out of warranty, they deny the whole thing. Creeeepy! So from now on I deal direct with the factory.

clarkoh

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
My new Ultra Droid has the same issues. Had to hold the cord to get it to charge. Now it will not charge at all. And no usb connection to my desk top computer for downloading files.

traciej

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
this happened twice with my droid 2. i've since upgraded to a droid 4 (in june) and it happened again. I have insurance, but i have to keep shelling out a deductible every time this happens. it's obviously an issue :(

now i have to set up the new phone and wipe my old phone clean - grrrrr

Ssgtdad

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
The same thing has happened to my Droid 4 and my wifes Razor M she is on her 3rd phone in less than 8 months and i am on my 2nd.... but strangely i have a droid 2 and droid 3 that plug in and charge just fine. Which would lead one to conclude that they are being made cheaper or less robust now

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty