Suddenly draining battery

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My husband and I both have Droid 4 phones, purchased on the same day. Today we both noticed a crazy drain on the battery. Seems like it started yesterday, but today my D4 was out of battery charge by 1pm and I had to charge it up to full. 4 hours later it was depleted again. This is with the phone in standby mode. I have also noticed that something is activating the screen from sleep mode, as I have the phone laying on my desk. The screen will flash on, but I do not see any new notifications. I have noticed that 4G is dropping in and out a lot lately - could this be what is draining our phone batteries?

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the phone searching for signal alot absolutely kills the battery. Maybe a factory reset will fix it, but I'd talk to Verizon first. They might just give you new phones.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My D4 started draining the battery fast about a month after the ICS update. I did a factory reset & it resolved whatever the problem was. Has been fine for months now.

pinkfreak16

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same problem. Got my phone in late August 2012 and ended up about beg. December having draining battery. Went to Verizon store where I purchased and guy said to go into Apps, then Settings, then Battery. Rep said the screen being on will be the first thing to drain battery and to come back if problem recurred. Big help. Haven't been back but keep a close eye on battery and have 3 chargers in different areas of the house and one for the car. Wha???
:-\

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been watching mine since the problem started in December. I've noticed that 4G keeps dropping out and coming back on, whether I'm on WiFi or on 4G. Everytime it drops, the screen activates and brings the phone out of sleep mode, maybe to search for service? I even put my screen timeout to 15 seconds and it still kills the phone in about 4 hours. On days when 4G is steady, which have been few since this started.. the battery lasts all day.

I'm curious if anyone else is having 4G issues or if its just a problem in South Carolina?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I've been watching mine since the problem started in December. I've noticed that 4G keeps dropping out and coming back on, whether I'm on WiFi or on 4G. Everytime it drops, the screen activates and brings the phone out of sleep mode, maybe to search for service?

What??? That is some strange behavior. In my office, my phone fights between 3G and LTE and I have never seen it turn on the screen from sleep mode when searching or switching between the two signals. If your phone fights for LTE but your 3G signal is usually strong, I would change the options for the phone to pick up 3G only then. While that may suck, it would be worth it to save on battery. Also, I would call Verizon and complain on the LTE connection issues too. Assuming your area has good LTE coverage of course.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I also had that problem before with my phone. I did, however, learn a little, but important lesson: Batteries need to rest and cool down. I know many people keep their phones on most of the time, however, I do recommend you power down your phone for at least 10-20 mins a day. Once done, you will notice your battery lasting much longer.

Wanderist

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I ended up doing a full reset on the phone earlier this week. I have updated only the preinstalled apps and a few that I have used for years and know to be stable. So far so good. No 4G fluctuations, signal loss or battery drain. So I think it was app related..I just have no idea what app killed it.

DERacing

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
My D4 has been acting hokey over the last 3 or 4 days as well.

Something is causing the screen to stay on until I press the power button to turn the screen off. If I have a text message, and set the phone down, I can watch the screen flicker and go from dim display to normal brightness when it should turn the screen off and continue to this cycle.

Also, while on a charger (Moto brand) I have it set to keep the screen on while charging because of the docks that I have (all moto brand). But if I press the power button to turn the screen off, I am getting the Droid notification sound with nothing incoming.

Of course I am rooted, so it doesnt look like I will be taking this back to Verizon for service. :(

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I have had all of these problems since the ICS update. I was getting much better battery life when I could turn off LTE, but I know LTE isn't the culprit. I have had my device in WiFi mode with the mobile network turned off and it would still get VERY hot, even when I wasn't using it, and drain the battery. I did a factory reset, put NOTHING on the phone but my Google account, and unplugged it from the charger. Dead in 3 hours.

They have sent me a second replacement, but I already got another Blackberry 9930 on eBay to hold me over until the Q10 launches in the states. I'll sadly sell my DROID 4.