please excuse my ignorance galaxy s4 versus droid max

anon(26457)

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Disagree with the screen. I have used the X and while the screen was really good, it wasn't quite as good as the S4. The Maxx has a lower PPI so it can't be better than either the X or S4

Posted via Android Central App

Well, the screen is more visible in daylight, so that makes it better to me. Once you get to the level of resolution the Maxx has, anything better isn't going to make much of a difference. Is it there? Yes. But you have to look VERY closely to tell. In day-to-day use, it just isn't a big deal.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, the screen is more visible in daylight, so that makes it better to me. Once you get to the level of resolution the Maxx has, anything better isn't going to make much of a difference. Is it there? Yes. But you have to look VERY closely to tell. In day-to-day use, it just isn't a big deal.

More visible how? They're both AMOLED displays so neither is going to be great in direct sunlight...

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
More visible how? They're both AMOLED displays so neither is going to be great in direct sunlight...

I have had both phones, and I prefer the screen on the Maxx. Either way, the screens are so close I can't imagine making a it a decision point between the two.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
To jthead, the signal issue sounds like something my friend's had with us cellular. She's been through many gs3s that had known issues. Motorola is known to have better reception but go figure she gets a gs4.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

anon(26457)

May 25, 2010
Visit site

More visible in that I can see it better.

The Maxx screen isn't great in sunlight, but it's better than the S4's in my opinion. That's why there are so many phones. Everyone can buy based on what's important to them. To me, the resolution isn't important once you get to the point the Maxx is. Anything greater isn't a huge deal to me and certainly wouldn't be a decision making point. To some, the specs are what's important. To me, it's the overall experience of the phone and the Maxx is much, much better - to me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
More visible in that I can see it better.

The Maxx screen isn't great in sunlight, but it's better than the S4's in my opinion. That's why there are so many phones. Everyone can buy based on what's important to them. To me, the resolution isn't important once you get to the point the Maxx is. Anything greater isn't a huge deal to me and certainly wouldn't be a decision making point. To some, the specs are what's important. To me, it's the overall experience of the phone and the Maxx is much, much better - to me.

I'm not worried about specs though. I'm more concerned about the performance, the S4 is better than the Maxx in pretty much every way possible. Liking one phone over another is one thing, but it being better is another. The camera shoots circles around the Maxx, the screen is noticeably sharper (300+ is when it isnt as noticeable) but a difference of over 170 PPI is easy to see when doing things like playing games or reading text. The battery on the GS4 isn't as good out of the box but it can be remedied by putting an extended battery (There's some with 3600 mAh capacity) and it leaves the phone being about as thick as the Maxx.
I agree that we should get the phones we like but you can't argue that the S4 isnt the better phone overall.
Anyway, I'm probably going to get the X2 next year, I would actually trade my GS4 for an X, not the Maxx

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree that we should get the phones we like but you can't argue that the S4 isnt the better phone overall.

We can and will have that argument! lol jk, you like what you like and that's cool.

If what you want is removable batter and/or a better camera, you're on. But, most of the UX for me is software based, and there the Maxx (it's basically my X with different buttons) outshines the S4 by a long ways. The Maxx has a more innovative processor (and better performing for what I do, very little theoretical threading or hardest core gaming here, my tablet and PS3 do that), a button philosophy much more in line with what I want to buy, etc. The value to the user is not found on a spec sheet, but in what it does for how they use it. I'd be furiously unhappy with the S4, even rooted and ROM'd, while the Maxx I'd only be mildly wishing I bought the X instead.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
We can and will have that argument! lol jk, you like what you like and that's cool.

If what you want is removable batter and/or a better camera, you're on. But, most of the UX for me is software based, and there the Maxx (it's basically my X with different buttons) outshines the S4 by a long ways. The Maxx has a more innovative processor (and better performing for what I do, very little theoretical threading or hardest core gaming here, my tablet and PS3 do that), a button philosophy much more in line with what I want to buy, etc. The value to the user is not found on a spec sheet, but in what it does for how they use it. I'd be furiously unhappy with the S4, even rooted and ROM'd, while the Maxx I'd only be mildly wishing I bought the X instead.

Fair enough :D
What was it about the S4 that you didn't like? Only thing I could really say that I dislike is the radios. Most of the time they give me good reception but as soon as I go into a big building (mall for example) I get poor coverage. It could be the carrier but I have also heard that the Moto phones have the best out there. How much better are they?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough :D
What was it about the S4 that you didn't like? Only thing I could really say that I dislike is the radios. Most of the time they give me good reception but as soon as I go into a big building (mall for example) I get poor coverage. It could be the carrier but I have also heard that the Moto phones have the best out there. How much better are they?

For me it's buttons, software, feel (materials) and generally the design philosophy. I'm much more nexus/Google services oriented than the average Android user, so many of the redundant apps do nothing for my nerdery, and I tend to favor a very clean, minimalist approach. From there, if the hardware was superb enough, I could easily go AOSP or something like it and slap a case on it, but then there are still the buttons to deal with. I'd say my adversion is 80% philosophical and 20% just not being into it. A lot of people think the world of Kim Karderpa.. whatever her name is (I'll fix this later if I remember), but she does nothing for me. I'm sure she's nice, just not my thing. :)

I'm really not that big of a fan of the Maxx myself (So apparently I'm invading the thread and arguing against the Maxx rather than for the s4, how rude) because I really, really, really like software keys.... I played with two of them, but bought the X. If the Maxx had software keys, there's a 70% chance it'd be my current phone. My last device was a Nexus, and I think I'd have a hard time going from Nexus to "skinned" Android without feeling generally dirty. I have two Nexus tablets, my wife has a nexus, I came from a nexus... there is a lot of benefit to having several devices that look/feel approximately the same for being efficient. That being said, I do owe it to the forums to become much more familiar with the other operating systems.

The difference on radio's I'm not sure of, I never took the S4 out of the store and the two in my office are on different carriers, so the comparison is weak at best. My last Samsung phone was a GNex and my X gets substantialy more awesome service indoors, outdoors I don't know that I've noticed.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm not worried about specs though. I'm more concerned about the performance, the S4 is better than the Maxx in pretty much every way possible. Liking one phone over another is one thing, but it being better is another. The camera shoots circles around the Maxx, the screen is noticeably sharper (300+ is when it isnt as noticeable) but a difference of over 170 PPI is easy to see when doing things like playing games or reading text. The battery on the GS4 isn't as good out of the box but it can be remedied by putting an extended battery (There's some with 3600 mAh capacity) and it leaves the phone being about as thick as the Maxx.
Anyway, I'm probably going to get the X2 next year, I would actually trade my GS4 for an X, not the Maxx

You are pretty clearly biased when it comes to your GS4. On the spec sheet, yes, the GS4 might be superior, but in real world performance, the S4 comes out of the box laggy. The screen quality difference is really unnoticeable, especially if both are on auto brightness. The camera on the S4 is more consistently good, but you can get the same quality photos on the Maxx. You just need little more precision. It actually snaps photos more quickly than the S4 too. Minus the negligibly better screen and camera, the Maxx is better in every way when it comes to performance. Even with games I've noticed zero difference.

Lastly, what 3600 Mah battery exists for the S4 that doesn't increase the thickness well beyond the Maxx?
What's the brand?

And finally, even with a 3600 Mah battery in the S4, I bet the Maxx would still last longer due to the efficiency of the processors, and the screen being 720p.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You are pretty clearly biased when it comes to your GS4. On the spec sheet, yes, the GS4 might be superior, but in real world performance, the S4 comes out of the box laggy. The screen quality difference is really unnoticeable, especially if both are on auto brightness. The camera on the S4 is more consistently good, but you can get the same quality photos on the Maxx. You just need little more precision. It actually snaps photos more quickly than the S4 too. Minus the negligibly better screen and camera, the Maxx is better in every way when it comes to performance. Even with games I've noticed zero difference.

Lastly, what 3600 Mah battery exists for the S4 that doesn't increase the thickness well beyond the Maxx?
What's the brand?

And finally, even with a 3600 Mah battery in the S4, I bet the Maxx would still last longer due to the efficiency of the processors, and the screen being 720p.

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

I think it was Innocell. It's actually 3500mAh and the phone ends up being a couple MM thicker. My best screen time was a little over 7 hours of screen time, I could get 9+ with this battery. A lot more than what I need and close to if not better than what I have seen on the Maxx :p
And I gotta disagree with the camera, sure you could get decent shots on the Maxx but they're not as consistent and not as detailed.
Hopefully Moto can greatly improve their sensors for the next iteration of the X :D

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
...because I really, really, really like software keys....

Sorry for the digression, but I'm curious if you can explain, in a way that nobody else has been able to do for me, why on screen keys are better than permanent capacitive keys, like on the Maxx. What is the big improvement? Why is one way better than the other?

Charles Az

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I think it was Innocell. It's actually 3500mAh and the phone ends up being a couple MM thicker. My best screen time was a little over 7 hours of screen time, I could get 9+ with this battery. A lot more than what I need and close to if not better than what I have seen on the Maxx :p
And I gotta disagree with the camera, sure you could get decent shots on the Maxx but they're not as consistent and not as detailed.
Hopefully Moto can greatly improve their sensors for the next iteration of the X :D

I can guarantee that whatever it is that you're doing to get 7+ hours of screen on time, you will get more on the Maxx, even with the same battery capacity. The Maxx has less pixels to power (even though I can't see a difference) and a more power efficient processor. That's awesome that you're able to get so much screen on time, but your experience does not match the majority of S4 users.

Out of curiosity, what is that you're doing to have your screen on for over 7 hours in a day?

Edit: I do agree about the camera though, the s4 is a bit over saturated, but consistently takes better pictures than the Maxx. You can get really nice shots on the Maxx though, just not as consistently.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for the digression, but I'm curious if you can explain, in a way that nobody else has been able to do for me, why on screen keys are better than permanent capacitive keys, like on the Maxx. What is the big improvement? Why is one way better than the other?

Less real estate needed so bigger screen. This is true except the keys stay active so you don't really gain any true real estate.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can guarantee that whatever it is that you're doing to get 7+ hours of screen on time, you will get more on the Maxx, even with the same battery capacity. The Maxx has less pixels to power (even though I can't see a difference) and a more power efficient processor. That's awesome that you're able to get so much screen on time, but your experience does not match the majority of S4 users.

Out of curiosity, what is that you're doing to have your screen on for over 7 hours in a day?

Netflix, Hulu and a whole lot of Android Central. I have to feed that addiction.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Mostly using the AC App, BaconReader (Reddit client), messaging, and some browsing or watching vids on YT
Brightness on auto whenever I'm outdoors and at about 1/5 anytime I'm indoors since it's easily visible (Especially at night)
GPS On, all E-mail set to manual and any backups turned off
ROM: SlimBean 4.3 build 1 :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure, as I haven't any clue as to how it has previously been explained, but its about flexibility to me. On screen buttons can be made to move relative to screen orientation. They can be reprogrammed to be bigger, smaller, hidden, summable by gesture or transposed for other buttons.

For example, if I want a dedicated search or menu button, I can add them. If I never use recent apps, I can remove it. Much, many and more user options for how they choose to navigate, and more importantly, it becomes easier to do so without having to think about which direction the buttons are oriented.

Especially in the tablet space this becomes more important as orientation can be made irrelevant aside from the position of the camera. For me that flexibility is a convenience, well worth the value trade for, "lost screen real estate".

XT1060. Through spacetime.

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I like the buttons being visible all the time. The only button that's missing is the menu button, but other than that I like have the buttons always visible so I don't have to look around for them. When I tested the Samsung GS4 I never could figure out how to go home or go back or even get to the settings. The small battery in the Samsung GS4 was a non-starter for me. The salesperson at Verizon told me there wasn't an extended battery for the Samsung GS4, so I started looking at the Note 3 and the Droid Maxx. I ended up going with the Droid Maxx because of the slightly smaller size and it was also cheaper and I really liked the big battery and the buttons always being visible.

The Droid Maxx is a far superior phone to the Moto X. My brother asked me why I didn't get the Moto X instead of the Droid Maxx and I said because the Maxx is the better phone. It has a larger screen, bigger battery, same software and it was the same price. It was a no-brainer for me to choose the Maxx.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site

Well for me its a no brainer. Coming from the Galaxy Nexus and Razr Maxx HD. You get extra screen real estate with no on screen buttons.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non