Droid Maxx: Getting an update as we speak

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Thinking its kitkat but not sure.. Whatever it is its a big file because its taking a bit to download and I'm in a good area...

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Getting an update as we speak

Well it was kitkat lol... Time to go see what's different

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

It is Kit Kat. Mine started downloading at 5:00 a.m. Eastern, was ready to update at 5:19. I am in an area where I get between 30 and 50 MB/s speeds. Phone was updated and ready to use about 5:40. I had about 7 apps that needed updating after that. Unlike the ICS update on my Thunderbolt, this update did not change/reset my wallpaper, sounds, or other personal settings and did not rearrange any icons. I am still paired to my CobraTag. Also unlike the Thunderbolt, the Maxx battery only dropped about 2%. The Thunderbolt would have sucked up at least 15%.

After updating all the apps, I did another reboot, just in case. The updates to GSAM Battery Monitor seem to be working right. It will take at least a full day of usage to see if everything else is working right.

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Got mine so far so good. I think actually made phone smoother.

Posted via Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site

I had to reset the ringtones I use from zedge.
As far as visable difference there are some subtle ones.. Like the default digital clock is a little bigger on the homescreen.. No big deal but I noticed it.
Sending a touchless text is much easier. Still playing w it..

Speccers

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

What version is it 4.4.2? 4.4.1? Or just 4.4?

Posted via Android Central App

4.4. I was hoping the delay was 4.4.2, but nope. Hopefully this leads to an easy update to fix issues.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dtbarabus

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

I received the update in December. Battery took a hit at first and then back to a normal long life. If I remember it took a few days to a week to get back to normal.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Thanks. Is it recommended to do a full factory reset after updating, or should things take care of themselves on their own?

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. Is it recommended to do a full factory reset after updating, or should things take care of themselves on their own?

I am going to wait and see. So far, the "look and feel" is identical, and the speed seems to be the same. YMMV. I think I would clear the cache partition first, if something seems "not right." From the Motorola site in the link: "This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings"

dtbarabus

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I did not do a factory reset and I've had no issues. I'm also running ART without any app issues.

jbeachy

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I am going to wait and see. So far, the "look and feel" is identical, and the speed seems to be the same. YMMV. I think I would clear the cache partition first, if something seems "not right." From the Motorola site in the link: "This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings"

I have no basis of knowledge, but wouldn't that likely be a part of the update? I wouldn't think the new OS would enjoy having old cache files lying around :)

Posted via Android Central App with my Droid MAXX

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I have no basis of knowledge, but wouldn't that likely be a part of the update? I wouldn't think the new OS would enjoy having old cache files lying around :)

Yes, it definitely does. Remember all of those "preparing app" messages? That must be rebuilding cache.

sking11

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site

I just received the update this morning! In Colorado, Denver area, Prior to the update, when unlocking the screen, there would be a slight hesitation for the icons to appear. Now it's instant. Much faster. :) Doesn't look any different. One thing I saw was when you swipe down and get the messages etc.. instead of an X to close all the notifications it has 3 bars that look like steps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non