What does require encryption external mean?

ollie927

May 6, 2014
Visit site
My phone out of the blue this afternoon could not send or receive any emails from my corporate exchange. My droid maxx just said "the device cant be provisioned because the policies aren't supported. please contact your coporate IT dept. -require encryption external" I contacted my IT department and needless to say they had no idea what that meant. Any ideas to get my corporate exchange working again? or maybe I am not asking the correct questions to my IT? Thank You.

Motorcop30

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I am required to have the phone encrypted to use my corporate exchange email. Ask your IT dept if they use an MDM (Mobile Device Management) system. They should know for gosh sakes. To connect to your exchange server, you're likely required to encrypt your phone so if it is lost/stolen, your IT can wipe it and destroy any corporate info. We use Outlook where I am, so my server info is "m.outlook. com" instead of OWA or webmail. We also have a specific person responsible for smart phones in IT. If you do, ask that person. They should be able to give you the proper server settings and once entered, you'll be prompted by the phone to encrypt and set a pass code. You cannot use the pattern unlock, it must be a code. In your phone settings, you should also be able to encrypt it yourself. That may work too. I hope I've helped. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1080 using AC Forums mobile app

Kenneth Martin2

May 15, 2014
Visit site
If you have a new Driod that does not have an SD card, your server security policies are looking for an SD card to encrypt and since you do not have one, its causing the error. You will need to encrypt your phone and have IT update the policies on the Exchange server to show that no SD card is available to encrypt on your device. Then go through the account setup process again.