Charge rate of a Maxx?

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Using GSAM to measure speed to charge using a 2 amp charger and it charges about 12%/hour. My wife's LG G2 will fully charge in 90 minutes. Kind of frustrating to put it on a charger and a few hours later it only increased 20%.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I charged my phone twice yesterday on a wireless charger. 58 to full in just over two hours and 68 to full in an hour and fifteen minutes. The qi charger isn't 2 amp, either.

Maybe the charger you were using isn't 2 amp? It's my recollection from when I first bought the phone that the phone charges from near empty to full in about 5 hours with the stock 1.2 amp charger.

But, like Einsteindks said, my phone is sitting on the charger with the display off, on and doing normal background tasks but not being actively used.

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
normal nightly drain rate is 1% per hour with most stuff turned off, Over the past 20 months, I normally kept it between 70-95% charged with usual 70% deep sleep average. Again, the LG charges fast in the same charger. It is nearing it's retirement, but it was the main thing that nagged me about this phone. Overall, it was a million times better than my Droid 2 and X2. The Turbo seems to have too many radio issues for me to go there.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Is the charger a Quick Charger? The LG G2 has a Snapdragon 800 that supports quick charging; the Maxx does not. The Maxx also has a larger battery. The newer Droid Turbo does support quick charging and can charge fully in one hour.

So, maybe that's the difference?

(I think my own shorter charge times I noticed yesterday are due to the fact that the capacity of my battery has decreased in the 21 months I've owned the phone.)

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
No quick chargers in the house, just a variety of 2 amp usb wall charges...

I think the phone is starting to fail. it overheated last night while plugged in using navigation for 20 minutes. I have no case or cover on it. It would not charge until I restarted it. :(

someguyatx

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I use a 1.5A Nokia charger and mine charges from 30-100% in about 2.5hrs. If you have a knockoff charger its probably not putting out anywhere close to 2A

GMasonDragonDad

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
It was cheap Amazon Basics data cables causing my problems. Got a new LG G4 and was getting slow charging error and recommend to use the included charger/cable. The LG cable says 1.8 amps on it.. Charging MAXX at 40%/hour! I put up with this for nearly 2 years. Time to invest in better cables.

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
I purchased a 2.1 amp charger from Verizon and it should arrive today. I purchased it in hopes of faster charging. So it basically boils down to 2 questions. Will it charge it faster, and is safe for my battery?

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 2.1 amp charger from Verizon and it should arrive today. I purchased it in hopes of faster charging. So it basically boils down to 2 questions. Will it charge it faster, and is safe for my battery?

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

Will it charge faster than the original charger? Most likely not. Will it be safe for your battery? Yes, because the device draws the amount of power it needs. The charger does not "push" 2.1a. Rather, the device will draw the proper amount (which I believe was in the 1.2-1.5a range, but am not sure exactly.) When buying an aftermarket charger, it's a good idea to get a high output so that you can use it with a different device if it can draw more power, such as a tablet that may draw 2 or 2.1a.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Will it charge faster than the original charger? Most likely not. Will it be safe for your battery? Yes, because the device draws the amount of power it needs. The charger does not "push" 2.1a. Rather, the device will draw the proper amount (which I believe was in the 1.2-1.5a range, but am not sure exactly.) When buying an aftermarket charger, it's a good idea to get a high output so that you can use it with a different device if it can draw more power, such as a tablet that may draw 2 or 2.1a.

+1. It will charge as fast as the stock charger, maybe a bit faster, but not to the same proportion as 2 amp/1.25 amp (the stock charger). So long as it is UL listed, it will be safe to use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87