Need Help! Rooting Not Working!

angelsfaninsc

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so this is going to seem really stupid to a lot of you, but I feel like trying to root my Droid is going to be the death of me. Spent 4 hours last night and got no where. FAST! Monkey 0 Football 14.
Ok before I explain my problem and steps I took, first let me tell you my set up. HP Desktop Running Win7-64. DroidA855 running 2.1.
I followed all of the steps listed in several different articles. I installed the drivers(4.2) then RSD lite(4.6). Got my phone to bootloader, and it shows up in RSD lite. Try to upload the new SBF file. I get the typical error of not being to write to blah blah blah.... some code ending in 000007. OK No big deal. Try rebooting CPU and start over. Now RSD lite wont even see my phone when its in bootloader. I unistalled the drivers, CC cleaned the registries, updated drivers to 4.5 and 4.6, each time clearing out old drivers and rebooting and CC cleaning. Changed versions of RSD lite. tried combos of all of that.
Nothing. A hundred reboots and everything i can think of. Ive been to twenty differerent links where everyone has a "sure-fire" "fool-proof" way to make it work. Right... Easier said than done. I ve done everything I can think of. I made sure that the device manager reads the phone as Moto blah blah and not Android blah blah.
When I hook up the phone when on and mount it, it shows just the SD card in My Computer, and in devices, it shows A855 as a hard drive.
I really wanted this to work. I dont understand why it wont. I dont get it. So I feel like a dumbass for getting stuck like this. But hey.... i know when to ask for directions when Im lost and running out of gas.
I think i Know what to do once RSD lite will recognize the phone. But I need help getting it to recognize it. Right now RSD lite looks the same in all the fields whether the phone is plugged in and on bootloader or completely unplugged.
Anything that you can do to provide me the chance to join the Froyo club would be appreciated.
Oh, as to other posts I have seen about trying a non-Win7 cpu... its not an option for me. Both my CPU's are running win7-64.
HELP!!!! Please!!!!
Oh, if there is anyone in Charleston, SC feeling really helpful, maybe you could show me how to do this. That would be sweet. Since evidently, I am ****** of the highest order!
Thanks for any input or help you can provide.

Last edited:

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
i think what the problem is, is that 2.1 has not been rooted. So what you have to do is either downgrade to 2.0.1 or flash an alternate recovery like SPrecovery on 2.1. And then flash a new ROM like Froyo 2.2 or 2.1 w/ root. I'm going to look around for the details. I believe i remember reading something about flashing custom recoveries on 2.1 even without root access.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
O here is what i found for you. How do you root a Motorola Droid running Android 2.1? You seem to be on the right track. but instead of using Pete's latest bugless beast. I recommend going with Froyo. which you can get instructions here http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...752-complete-walkthrough-froyo-2-2-setup.html
EDIT
These instructions are actually much better for obtaining root on a 2.1 stock droid:http://www.droid-life.com/2010/05/06/guide-to-rooting-android-2-1-on-a-motorola-droid/

Last edited:

andro1d

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I used this last night to root 2.1 directly. I read through quite a few of te other forums on the subject. Most are still posting that you need to downgrade the OS first that it is not the case. Anyway, I can vouch for this one (for whatever it's worth since I'm a newbe around here).
How-To Root your stock 2.1 Droid
This also walks you through installation of terminal emulator. Priceless. My learning curve was very steep last night.