Tools needed to install MT browser on rooted Droid?

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying to find all the stuff I need to install the Multi Touch browser onto my newly rooted Droid. I'm having all sorts of trouble finding only the absolutely needed programs and files.

I am new to this so keep in mind that Just yelling at me about how I need to search the forums doesn't help me. I have read a ton of threads and have at least a dozen odd things that people say you should need but I really have no idea what is truly relevant and what is just fluff.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I actually have that thread bookmarked. I honestly have no idea what they mean by mount and adb... I assume adb means the program adb shell? but how do you get the command screen and such? Sounds stupid but I'm really not that familiar with the terms. I'd like to think I'm not a total idiot since I sued to change seems on my old Moto phones but this is pretty foreign to me.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Remember when you rooted your phone, you used the command prompt. you need to do that here as well.

Open the console on your computer, at the prompt navigate to the location you extracted the Android SDK. Then navigate to the tools folder.

At the prompt, type in the commands listed.

Hint for Vista users - use explorer and find your Android SDK/tools folder. Hold shift and right click on it to open the command prompt in that directory.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Assuming you've rooted your phone, this is what I did:

1.) Installed Root Explorer from Android Market.
2.) Using Root Explorer I opened the /system folder and then I clicked the Mount R/W button toward the top.
3.) I then opened the app folder in Root Explorer and renamed browser.odex to browser.odex.old
4.) Downloaded and extracted the files in the zip t3hSteve posted to c:\ on my laptop.
5.) I downloaded and installed the Android SDK from this link: Android SDK | Android Developers
6.) When the installer completed it complained about not being able to get some files, so I clicked on Settings in the SDK & AVD Manager app and checked the Force HTTPS://....... checkbox.
7.) I then went to the Available Packages screen and installed the USB driver.
8.) I then went to section 3 of this page: [HOW-TO] ADB for Dummies(How-To Learner's Guide) - xda-developers and ran the commands that t3hSteve posted, with the following changes:

# adb push c:\libmtwebcore.so /system/lib
# adb push c:\Browser.apk /system/app/Browser.apk

This was well worth the effort. What an awesome browsing experience!

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Nah... I keep getting this signature error. The gentleman who wrote the program is looking into it for me. I'll keep you up to date.

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
I'll recheck it and see. How do tell for sure you are rooted? I have the super user little ninja looking dude but I've been told that doesn't mean I'm fully rooted.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by root program most of the changes I make I do through command prompt.

As for better then dolphin I'm still out on that one since I've only been using for a day now. I will report back after a couple of days.

R

Roy Aguilera

The update zip method works great. I would create a nandroid backup just in case you want the old one back.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
Well I have to say, after using Dolphin for a couple of days, this thing is blazin fast! If MT browser still has the same speed as the old one then I'm stickin wit Dolphin.

Ignitros

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Okay... so I got Droid Root Helper installed and went through all the steps now I'm up to the point where it gives me mount options.

They are as follows:
Mount mtdblock3 System read/write
Mount mtdblock4 System read/write

Which one do I choose? Where do I go from here to install SPRecovery and install the MT browser? I have downloaded SPRecovery 0.15.0 and the MTbrowser file from the previous post, they are on my sdcard root (not in any folder).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R

Roy Aguilera

I think Droid Root Helper asks that you install the tools folders. First do that.
Then:
hit "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write"
hit "Install and chmod busybox..."
hit "Install and chmod flash_image."
hit "Flash 1X.0 recovery...."
hit "Rename recovery-boot.."
Then "Unmount mtdblock3..."
Last "Sync"
(You have now flashed the latest SPRecovery available through DRH)
Now hit "Reboot Recovery"
It will take you to the recovery image.

Now make a nandroid back up.
Go to "backup/restore"
select it with the camera button
Now select "Simple Nandroid backup"
(This will make a back up of your system, incase you do not like the Browser or want to go back if something goes wrong)
Let it finish makng the back up.
Now hit the power button (this will take you back) select "reboot system now".
Once it reboots.
Connect to your pc and open up the sd card by mounting.
Look for the Nandroid folder and move it to a safe place in your computer.
Now you can install the zip file that is available.
Just place it in your sd root.
Open droid root helper and hit "Reboot Recovery"
Hit Install
Install Update Zip. (Deprecated).

YoungChrisG

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
I think Droid Root Helper asks that you install the tools folders. First do that.
Then:
hit "Mount mtdblock3 System read/write"
hit "Install and chmod busybox..."
hit "Install and chmod flash_image."
hit "Flash 1X.0 recovery...."
hit "Rename recovery-boot.."
Then "Unmount mtdblock3..."
Last "Sync"
(You have now flashed the latest SPRecovery available through DRH)
Now hit "Reboot Recovery"
It will take you to the recovery image.

Now make a nandroid back up.
Go to "backup/restore"
select it with the camera button
Now select "Simple Nandroid backup"
(This will make a back up of your system, incase you do not like the Browser or want to go back if something goes wrong)
Let it finish makng the back up.
Now hit the power button (this will take you back) select "reboot system now".
Once it reboots.
Connect to your pc and open up the sd card by mounting.
Look for the Nandroid folder and move it to a safe place in your computer.
Now you can install the zip file that is available.
Just place it in your sd root.
Open droid root helper and hit "Reboot Recovery"
Hit Install
Install Update Zip. (Deprecated).

Actually its been brought up at alldroid that you're actually supposed to use mount mtdblock4 instead of mtdblock3 on the Droid. If you don't it puts busybox in a different location. It will still work but if a rooted app or ROM etc. searches for busybox it may not find it since its directory would be different.

Last edited:
R

Roy Aguilera

Actually its been brought up at alldroid that you're actually supposed to use mount mtdblock4 instead of mtdblock3 on the Droid. If you don't it puts busybox in a different location. It will still work but if a rooted app or ROM etc. searches for busybox it may not find it since its directory would be different.

Correct. I'm so used to using the 3 instead of the 4. Bad habits die hard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11