How can I fix a voice issue on my Droid Turbo 2?

18t

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes, CDMA for calling is the what Verizon calls 1x data. That's completely normal for non-VoLTE calls.

I've had 4 android phones with Verizon. The only time I had seen 1x was in poor service area. Either that, or I'm more oblivious than I thought.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I've had 4 android phones with Verizon. The only time I had seen 1x was in poor service area. Either that, or I'm more oblivious than I thought.

Up until the 2014 Moto X, all Verizon LTE phones could connect to CDMA for calls and LTE for data at the same time. All phones since then (and all Verizon iPhones from the beginning) can now do either one or the other. When you get a CDMA call, it will now show 1x.

So, that's normal for the turbo, Maxx 2 and turbo 2. The Droid Maxx, all the Droid Razr models, the Droid 4 and the Droid Bionic could do simultaneous CDMA and LTE. I believe that all Samsung Galaxy phones prior to the S6 and all LG phones prior to the G4 could do both at once. This is the new normal.

bt73

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I had same problem. Just because you disable the advanced calling from phone you need to call Verizon to have it disabled off account. My problem was solved.

How did you find out that disabling the advanced calling feature entirely would resolve your issues? I was still having issues even with advanced calling disabled in settings. I have since disabled the advanced calling feature all together on my account and will try that for a few days. I just wanted to get a little background on how you came to that conclusion. Verizon and Motorola need to get their act together asap on this issue.

honda1k

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
How did you find out that disabling the advanced calling feature entirely would resolve your issues? I was still having issues even with advanced calling disabled in settings. I have since disabled the advanced calling feature all together on my account and will try that for a few days. I just wanted to get a little background on how you came to that conclusion. Verizon and Motorola need to get their act together asap on this issue.

I was having mic problems where people could not hear me, dropped calls, and funny sounds. I called Verizon they told me that I had to disable advanced calling until marshmallow update. Haven't had any problems since just sucks not being able to talk and surf at the same time, but I'm getting use to it.

bt73

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I was having mic problems where people could not hear me, dropped calls, and funny sounds. I called Verizon they told me that I had to disable advanced calling until marshmallow update. Haven't had any problems since just sucks not being able to talk and surf at the same time, but I'm getting use to it.

So, did they say why just disabling in the phone settings isn't good enough and full removal of the feature is required? I would think just disabling AC in settings and leaving the feature on your account would be sufficient but not according to your original comment.

honda1k

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
So, did they say why just disabling in the phone settings isn't good enough and full removal of the feature is required? I would think just disabling AC in settings and leaving the feature on your account would be sufficient but not according to your original comment.

Apparently it has something to do about the marshmallow update. I didn't go into details. I hope to soon use it again after update.

xheese

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Having the same issue. My 14 days is up in 2 days, looks like replacing with a new one will not solve this problem. Advanced calling is not activated on this phone and still have issues with people hearing me. Service in the area is fine (Denver), my old S4 never had these issues.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Do you have Bluetooth enabled? Even if you're not paired with a specific device? I had a similar issue, realized I had left the Bluetooth antenna on. When I was making a call the phone kept trying to connect with one or more wireless speakers I have around my house or office. Only realized it when I all of a sudden heard my callers voice coming from across the room.

drramini

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I have had the same issue with my first and second Droid Turbo 2. The callers say my voice fades or become unclear sometimes. It started with my first phone after one month. I contacted Motorola at first because my phone was under warranty. After sending dozen of messages and tens of emails back and forth, which was time consuming and frustrating, they told me they will exchange my phone in contingent to put $300 hold on my credit card to be sure it was not due to physical damage. This is weird because this company made a shatter proof screen and magnified this specification in advertisement while other parts MAY be sensitive to physical shocks!!! Anyhow, I referred my problem to Verizon tech support. They replaced my device after running so many troubleshooting steps within 24 hours including deactivating advance calling, safe mode check, and so forth. The send me the second device (which is certified like new). The second one started behaving as the first one after two weeks. The quality of voice gets worse over time as I understand. I am using Marshmallow when the same issue still exists, not related to the software update. I am frustrated and regret why I chose this device over Note 5.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I am fairly upset - this is the exact same issue that I've been having and my local Verizon store has been treating me like I'm a nutter, money grubbing bia who's just trying to cheat them into fresh, new devices.

I bought my Turbo 2 back around Christmas and have since had the device replaced 3 times. When in a call, suddenly it will cut out for the other person, as if the phone was submerged in water or even worse, as if I had trailed off into the distance and then it just went quiet. I have disabled the HD nonsense on all fronts, a feature which I effing PAID for with the purchase of this phone, I have done factory resets, no apps, all of my apps, you name it. No case, new case, different ways of holding it, shaking it, turning speaker phone on, turning it off - it keeps happening and I'm stressed.

Marshmallow just released, so what gives? I am paying full price for this phone. I deserve it to work.

rjwerth

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Add me to the list of people experiencing this. It happens to my wife's phone more than mine, but it IS happening. I turned off advanced calling, but I'm still having problems.

No solutions?

Hgouck

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Voice issue Droid Turbo 2

I am sure this has been suggested but have you tried turning off advanced calling. Settings, Advanced Calling, and turn it off.
Down side is you will not be able to do date while on a call, but it might be worth a try to see if it helps

jenifert

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here. Aaaargh. And I'm about 25 days out since getting the phone so I'm stuck with it I guess. Might still be a good trade off for the amazing battery life, which to me is a benefit to the droid only as it gets older and still holds a charge for a day.

I have noticed that when people complain about me being garbled I am holding the bottom of the phone away from my mouth maybe 2-3 inches. When I bring it closer to my mouth they can hear me fine. So maybe it's just how some of us hold the phone compared to others, but either way, you'd think the phone wouldn't garble just on a couple inches.

I'm turning off the video calling feature just to test it but I'm not holding out hope, plus I text during calls fairly often and hate to give up that feature.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Same issue here. Aaaargh. And I'm about 25 days out since getting the phone so I'm stuck with it I guess. Might still be a good trade off for the amazing battery life, which to me is a benefit to the droid only as it gets older and still holds a charge for a day.

I have noticed that when people complain about me being garbled I am holding the bottom of the phone away from my mouth maybe 2-3 inches. When I bring it closer to my mouth they can hear me fine. So maybe it's just how some of us hold the phone compared to others, but either way, you'd think the phone wouldn't garble just on a couple inches.

I'm turning off the video calling feature just to test it but I'm not holding out hope, plus I text during calls fairly often and hate to give up that feature.
As I recall, a second microphone on the phone supports noise cancellation. Maybe when you hold the phone at a distance, the second mic picks up your voice and actually suppresses it...?

Tonybryan 02

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

About the proximity sensor, I realized if you have bluetooth turned on, the screen doesn't turn off as it approaches your face. When in a call I tap the bluetooth button to turn it off so the sensors function properly.

jonstrong

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

About the proximity sensor, I realized if you have bluetooth turned on, the screen doesn't turn off as it approaches your face. When in a call I tap the bluetooth button to turn it off so the sensors function properly.

Interesting...I'll have to experiment with that. I never turn off bluetooth, but I don't ever recall the screen staying on when I bring the phone to my face during a call. I think I would have noticed, but I'll check it out to be certain. Having to manually turn it on and off for each call would be pretty annoying. This might be different if the phone were actually connected via BT at the time to an external BT speaker - then I could see the phone "being confused" about whether you intend to hold the phone to your face or use the BT-connected headphone or speakerphone. But if not connected to an external speaker, I'd think it should "care" that BT is active when you make a call. I'll have to check that out and will report back.

bacchus71

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't make many calls but on those that I did, I was told I sounded muffled. I thought that the Marshmallow update would resolve, but it did not. I disabled advanced calling and video calling, same issue. I was on the phone with a competent Verizon tech, seriously, and he had me disable ambient noise cancellation. So far so good, so thought I would pass it along. It's under phone, settings, calls, disable ambient noise cancellation.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't make many calls but on those that I did, I was told I sounded muffled. I thought that the Marshmallow update would resolve, but it did not. I disabled advanced calling and video calling, same issue. I was on the phone with a competent Verizon tech, seriously, and he had me disable ambient noise cancellation. So far so good, so thought I would pass it along. It's under phone, settings, calls, disable ambient noise cancellation.

Good solution.

Does anybody know where the secondary microphone for noise cancellation is on a T2? Is it possible that your hand (or a case) is covering the opening to the secondary microphone when you are making calls? (The primary microphone is the opening on the lower left bezel of the phone.)