turbo voice and data

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I wonder will the turbo do voice and data at the same time just like the droid maxx does or will it be like the new moto x and only do it over VOLTE ? anybody have any insight?

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
not saying you don't know what your talking about but are you sure? how do you know for sure can you provide a link ? if this turns out to be true I'll be crushed .I absolutely can not do without voice and data at the same time. 30 to 90 days after launch is unacceptable . in my business I use voice and data at the same time every day. i'll be holding onto my maxx for a while I guess.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't get this argument. On Verizon currently, voice is handled by 3G CDMA, and there are three ways to do simultaneous voice and data.
SVDO- voice is handled by 1x and data runs on EvDO (3G). Only available on select devices.
Simultaneous network v&d- voice is handled on 3G and data on LTE. Available on all LTE devices.
Simultaneous mixed v&d- voice is handled on 3G and data on WiFi. Available on all LTE devices.

What I don't understand is why can't the Droid Turbo handle simultaneous 3G voice/LTE data? If it can't wouldn't that be a step back? I would think it should support 3G voice/LTE data, 3G voice/WiFi data, and VoLTE. To remove non VoLTE simultaneous v&d while VoLTE is still limited seems idiotic. That should be kept in play until they shut down their CDMA network or start selling LTE only devices. Just my $.02.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't get this argument. On Verizon currently, voice is handled by 3G CDMA, and there are three ways to do simultaneous voice and data.
SVDO- voice is handled by 1x and data runs on EvDO (3G). Only available on select devices.
Simultaneous network v&d- voice is handled on 3G and data on LTE. Available on all LTE devices.
Simultaneous mixed v&d- voice is handled on 3G and data on WiFi. Available on all LTE devices.

What I don't understand is why can't the Droid Turbo handle simultaneous 3G voice/LTE data? If it can't wouldn't that be a step back? I would think it should support 3G voice/LTE data, 3G voice/WiFi data, and VoLTE. To remove non VoLTE simultaneous v&d while VoLTE is still limited seems idiotic. That should be kept in play until they shut down their CDMA network or start selling LTE only devices. Just my $.02.
I agree im very upset . I was all ready to get the turbo. now im looking into the note 4.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Only volte. Update will come 30-90 days after launch.

Sorry, unless you have something to back that up I don't believe it. You are seriously saying that if I am in a conversation I can't look up something on the web such as directions? I could do that on my Droid Charge from 4 years ago and on my S3 currently. I can't imagine that would be the case.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, unless you have something to back that up I don't believe it. You are seriously saying that if I am in a conversation I can't look up something on the web such as directions? I could do that on my Droid Charge from 4 years ago and on my S3 currently. I can't imagine that would be the case.

While I can't verify what happens with the Turbo. I can verify on the new moto x you have no data connection while on a call. That's what prompted me to start this thread in the first place. To say I'm disappointed would be a gross under statement. I can't believe Verizon would go this route. For people that use there phone in the running of a business simultaneous voice and data is a crucial thing.

Posted via the Android Central App

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I tested my new (VZW) Moto X today and this is what I found:

During call with Motorola support they asked for my order number which was in my Gmail. I could not access this by mobile data (3g/4g) while in the call...
But I was able to access Gmail during the call by turning on WiFi.

My guess is the same setup on the DROID Turbo which is sad for people who can't wait for the VOLTE switch and who can't connect to WiFi during a call.

Sent from Uranus

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Connectivity: *4G LTE and XLTE-ready, with VoLTE and Advanced Calling 1.0 coming within 30-90 days of launch (Advanced Calling 1.0 required for simultaneous voice and data)

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/14/droid-turbo-specs-features/comment-page-2/

No I don't know *for sure*, it hasn't been released yet, but all signs and leaks point to it working just like the Moto X and all future verizon devices.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow this stinks. I wont be buying until they roll this out then. I have to look things up all the time while on a call for business.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

During call with Motorola support they asked for my order number which was in my Gmail. I could not access this by mobile data (3g/4g) while in the call...

My guess is the same setup on the DROID Turbo which is sad for people who can't wait for the VOLTE switch and who can't connect to WiFi during a call.

Sent from Uranus

That sucks since the 2013 moto x can do voice over 3g and data over LTE. Does seem like a step backwards. Seems like we are being converted to some iPhone LTE crap since the iPhone also is unable to do simultaneous 3g voice and LTE data.

Posted via Android Central App

BlueBlazer60

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Anyone have an idea why the delay? How is VZW rolling this service out? If these have been answered elsewhere, just point me in the right direction.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Wow this stinks. I wont be buying until they roll this out then. I have to look things up all the time while on a call for business.
Also as a heads up if you enable volte your calls will drop if you leave a 4g area. Hope you have perfect 4g coverage where you are or you'll be dropping those business calls left and right. Verizon's solution to dropped calls on volte is "disable advanced calling 1.0" which of course means no voice+data.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Also as a heads up if you enable volte your calls will drop if you leave a 4g area. Hope you have perfect 4g coverage where you are or you'll be dropping those business calls left and right. Verizon's solution to dropped calls on volte is "disable advanced calling 1.0" which of course means no voice+data.

That alone is a huge issue to me. I also noticed severe battery drain + degraded non-LTE call quality when enabled. I don't want VoLTE enabled at all and if I can't do Voice+Data without it then I don't want TT.

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site

Sent from Uranus

While I don't doubt that is the case, remember (a) the chipset in the Turbo is different and (b) the Turbo is not the X - It is a Verizon exclusive. While Moto may have made a set of choices that mean no simultaneous voice and data on CDMA with the X, Verizon may have mandated a different set of choices on the Turbo.

"May, may, may." The phone isn't even announced yet. You can't make assumptions about things like this. Let's all temper our enthusiasm and our anger, and wait and see.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
While I don't doubt that is the case, remember (a) the chipset in the Turbo is different and (b) the Turbo is not the X - It is a Verizon exclusive. While Moto may have made a set of choices that mean no simultaneous voice and data on CDMA with the X, Verizon may have mandated a different set of choices on the Turbo.

"May, may, may." The phone isn't even announced yet. You can't make assumptions about things like this. Let's all temper our enthusiasm and our anger, and wait and see.

And who are you referring to when you say "you" and "let's"? Based on the number of "may's" in your comment, did you actually mean to say "Me, myself and I"?

Why is it that you are entitled to your speculation but nobody else is?

Sent from Uranus

Revolutionary

May 12, 2010
Visit site
And who are you referring to when you say "you" and "let's"? Based on the number of "may's" in your comment, did you actually mean to say "Me, myself and I"?

Why is it that you are entitled to your speculation but nobody else is?

Sent from Uranus

I wasn't specifically referring to you, so perhaps try being less defensive. Yes, I quoted your post, but I was speaking to the room. And while I did offer a speculation, I didn't reach a conclusion. Neither did you, but several others in this thread are angry or in disbelief, etc., and making PRESUMPTIONS (I expect you understand the difference).

E.g.:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I actually get a huge laugh out of this. Man lighten up people, its just an opinion. But if not thats cool also. I will keep getting a chuckle.
I wasn't specifically referring to you, so perhaps try being less defensive. Yes, I quoted your post, but I was speaking to the room. And while I did offer a speculation, I didn't reach a conclusion. Neither did you, but several others in this thread are angry or in disbelief, etc., and making PRESUMPTIONS (I expect you understand the difference).

E.g.:

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
while we may not no for sure this is the case all signs point that way . I for one will hold out hope that the turbo works like the droid maxx where voice and data is concerned. if it is the case then I really don't know what to say. the area I live in with the rural areas I travel through I just don't see it working out. may as well buy another maxx for a spare. maybe in a couple years whenever Verizon gets all there network converted to lte it will be fine but right now theres no way I could deal with the dropping calls just to have voice and data.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
while we may not no for sure this is the case all signs point that way . I for one will hold out hope that the turbo works like the droid maxx where voice and data is concerned. if it is the case then I really don't know what to say. the area I live in with the rural areas I travel through I just don't see it working out. may as well buy another maxx for a spare. maybe in a couple years whenever Verizon gets all there network converted to lte it will be fine but right now theres no way I could deal with the dropping calls just to have voice and data.
Yeah it's pretty bad too from what I've been reading from iPhone 6 verizon users after some googling. Walk inside a building? Call drops. In a building with bad coverage? Calls will drop every minute or two. Drive across town? Call drops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38