Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo Expandable memory????

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: Expandable memory????

It seems pretty well confirmed that it doesn't have one. Up to a little while ago, that would have really concerned me. I have never had a android w/o a sd. I have a 64 gb sd in my Note 2 now and it is almost filled. I am a big movie fan and usually have a bunch of movies to watch on my 1 1/2 train commute. I am not a big cloud person. So I looked at it realistically. 32 gb is enough for my apps, music and pretty much everything but movies. So recently I brought a small Leef Access micro usb sd card reader. The thing is approx 3/4 inch square and it cost me $9.99. It plugs into phones usb and I slipped my 64 gb disk into it. It has been flawless. It is not as covienient as a built in port being I take it out when I am not watching movie but it is small and unnoticeable when in device or pocket. You can pretty much use it for any media that you do not need constantly. With this, I am a lot more confident to move onto a device w/o a sd port. Added benefit is my wife can't access my movie collection easily.

33dd48645dd396e5e33e785befd90ef6.jpg

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

It seems pretty well confirmed that it doesn't have one. Up to a little while ago, that would have really concerned me. I have never had a android w/o a sd. I have a 64 gb sd in my Note 2 now and it is almost filled. I am a big movie fan and usually have a bunch of movies to watch on my 1 1/2 train commute. I am not a big cloud person. So I looked at it realistically. 32 gb is enough for my apps, music and pretty much everything but movies. So recently I brought a small Leef Access micro usb sd card reader. The thing is approx 3/4 inch square and it cost me $9.99. It plugs into phones usb and I slipped my 64 gb disk into it. It has been flawless. It is not as covienient as a built in port being I take it out when I am not watching movie but it is small and unnoticeable when in device or pocket. You can pretty much use it for any media that you do not need constantly. With this, I am a lot more confident to move onto a device w/o a sd port. Added benefit is my wife can't access my movie collection easily.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/33dd48645dd396e5e33e785befd90ef6.jpg
That's not too bad of an alternative. The dimensions are 1.2 x 0.4 x 0.8 inches according to Amazon. I'd prefer an an ultra small form factor flash drive with a micro USB connector. I've seen full size flash drives for this purpose, but haven't really looked hard for small form factor versions which would be ideal. If the Turbo has a 64GB version, I'll be happy with that -- knowing we won't get expandability, that's my preference.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

That's not too bad of an alternative. The dimensions are 1.2 x 0.4 x 0.8 inches according to Amazon. I'd prefer an an ultra small form factor flash drive with a micro USB connector. I've seen full size flash drives for this purpose, but haven't really looked hard for small form factor versions which would be ideal. If the Turbo has a 64GB version, I'll be happy with that -- knowing we won't get expandability, that's my preference.
Something like this (or even smaller) maybe? Amazon.com: Silicon Power Mobile X10 32GB USB 2.0 OTG Flash Drive for Android Smartphone/Tablet, Gold (SP032GBUF2X10V1C): Computers & Accessories

51fUhBYD7YL._SL1024_.jpg61zCta4JdIL._SL1024_.jpg

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

Yes this is a little smaller. Not much. The thing I like about the Leef is that I have a number of micro sd cards already. I have two 64 gb. The Leef has one slot to read and the other to store an additional card. So I am basically carrying 128gb of media. I already have a micro sd reader for computer so I just pop card out of Leef into computer and transfer additional media. I am not sure how to get media on the one you show. I guess you could get an adapter. But it is great that there are alternatives to a built in sd.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Yes this is a little smaller. Not much. The thing I like about the Leef is that I have a number of micro sd cards already. I have two 64 gb. The Leef has one slot to read and the other to store an additional card. So I am basically carrying 128gb of media. I already have a micro sd reader for computer so I just pop card out of Leef into computer and transfer additional media. I am not sure how to get media on the one you show. I guess you could get an adapter. But it is great that there are alternatives to a built in sd.

This is what I use. IIRC it came out a bit before the Leaf and I like that the micro SD card doesn't stick out past the reader's body, less chance of it getting snapped off. Also it can be put on a keychain so it makes it easier to bring with you and not forget it. The only benefit the Leaf has over the Meenova is the ability to use full size SD cards, where the Meenova has only one slot for a micro SD card.

http://www.meenova.com/st/pimg/m3r/sz_quarter-560x276-q8.jpg

Mini MicroSD Card Reader by Meenova

EDIT: Apparently the one I have has been retired. They have a newer model that allows for UHS 50MB transfer speed. It has a slightly different case as far as attaching it to a keychain (kind of a mini case with a keychain loop). It's priced the same as what I paid ($12) and looks pretty nice. Although I've never had any issues with transfer speed, of course with 4k video recordings the model I have may be lacking. Here's the pic and link for the newer model.

http://www.meenova.com/st/pimg/mrg2/reader_keyring_black-520x392.jpg

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mrg2.html

EDIT 2: I did some searching for transfer speed for the original Meenova that I have. According to a poster on Android Forums, the original Meenova does write speeds of 40-80MB/s, and read speeds of ~220MB/s. So pretty decent I'd say. They didn't advertise the speeds on the original model, the poster used an app to measure it, where the new model states a 50MB speeds (technical specs says Max speed tested: 45 MB/s read, 41 MB/s write). It seems odd that the newer model isn't testing as high as the older one, maybe they were being cautious? Or the app he used is giving flawed results? Either way, here's a link to the results posted at Android Forums.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-5/831274-16gb-w-otg-vs-32gb.html#post6456422

Last edited:

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

This is what I use. IIRC it came out a bit before the Leaf and I like that the micro SD card doesn't stick out past the reader's body, less chance of it getting snapped off. Also it can be put on a keychain so it makes it easier to bring with you and not forget it. The only benefit the Leaf has over the Meenova is the ability to use full size SD cards, where the Meenova has only one slot for a micro SD card.

http://www.meenova.com/st/pimg/m3r/sz_quarter-560x276-q8.jpg

Mini MicroSD Card Reader by Meenova

EDIT: Apparently the one I have has been retired. They have a newer model that allows for UHS 50MB transfer speed. It has a slightly different case as far as attaching it to a keychain (kind of a mini case with a keychain loop). It's priced the same as what I paid ($12) and looks pretty nice. Although I've never had any issues with transfer speed, of course with 4k video recordings the model I have may be lacking. Here's the pic and link for the newer model.

http://www.meenova.com/st/pimg/mrg2/reader_keyring_black-520x392.jpg

http://www.meenova.com/st/p/mrg2.html

EDIT 2: I did some searching for transfer speed for the original Meenova that I have. According to a poster on Android Forums, the original Meenova does write speeds of 40-80MB/s, and read speeds of ~220MB/s. So pretty decent I'd say. They didn't advertise the speeds on the original model, the poster used an app to measure it, where the new model states a 50MB speeds (technical specs says Max speed tested: 45 MB/s read, 41 MB/s write). It seems odd that the newer model isn't testing as high as the older one, maybe they were being cautious? Or the app he used is giving flawed results? Either way, here's a link to the results posted at Android Forums.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-5/831274-16gb-w-otg-vs-32gb.html#post6456422
I like it though I seem to like the form factor in the old one better. I don't think I would have my keys weighing down on my usb but always could use one of those quick snap connectors. With the Leef, the card that is in the reader part is flush but you are right. The card in the storage part sticks out a little being it doesn't pop out with a spring and you need to grab it. The nice part of all this is that there are options out there. Prior to that I was using a usb memory stick plugged into the end of a OTG cable. You talk about a awkward option.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

I like it though I seem to like the form factor in the old one better. I don't think I would have my keys weighing down on my usb but always could use one of those quick snap connectors. With the Leef, the card that is in the reader part is flush but you are right. The card in the storage part sticks out a little being it doesn't pop out with a spring and you need to grab it. The nice part of all this is that there are options out there. Prior to that I was using a usb memory stick plugged into the end of a OTG cable. You talk about a awkward option.
I ended up ordering the current version. The form factor can't get much smaller, the full size USB adapter is only $2 more when ordered with the unit, and $3 is reasonable shipping. $15 total for the unit, key chain holder, and full size USB adapter; shipped. That's a fair price for something I should be able to use on any android or windows device when I already have 64GB cards lying around. Thanks vzwuser76

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I ended up ordering the current version. The form factor can't get much smaller, the full size USB adapter is only $2 more when ordered with the unit, and $3 is reasonable shipping. $15 total for the unit, key chain holder, and full size USB adapter; shipped. That's a fair price for something I should be able to use on any android or windows device when I already have 64GB cards lying around. Thanks vzwuser76

Not a problem. This allowed me to pull the trigger on going with a device without expandable memory. By keeping the majority of my media (pics, videos, music, PDF documents) on the Meenova, I've still got around 18GB free on my Maxx. And the Maxx allowed me to go with a device without a removable battery. So the Turbo should be a nice upgrade.

I will say the Leaf would be my #2 choice, it looks like a viable alternative.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Expandable memory hasn't been mentioned on any of the leaks right? Nothing about it in the leaked manual? I you want an SD slot, this is probably not the phone for you.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Expandable memory hasn't been mentioned on any of the leaks right? Nothing about it in the leaked manual? I you want an SD slot, this is probably not the phone for you.

IIRC the only Motorola phone to have expandable memory since the RAZR/Maxx HD series is either the Moto G or E. None of last year's Droids or either Moto X version has it. It ain't looking good for the Turbo.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

IIRC the only Motorola phone to have expandable memory since the RAZR/Maxx HD series is either the Moto G or E. None of last year's Droids or either Moto X version has it. It ain't looking good for the Turbo.

E, because it has 4GB internal.

G got it with the LTE model, then they included it on the second gen from the start.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/23/33dd48645dd396e5e33e785befd90ef6.jpg
Where can I buy this? Amazon?

travaz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the info I think that is the route I am going to take. If you use it in the GYM is it in the way?

Also if you don't want your wife seeing your movie collection can you send some here ? :cool:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have any idea if they will offer this with 64 GB internal space like the nexus 6. Or will it be 32 GB and that's it?

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone have any idea if they will offer this with 64 GB internal space like the nexus 6. Or will it be 32 GB and that's it?

So far no leaks of a 64GB edition and the user manual only refers to 32GB, so at this point, unfortunately, 64GB is very unlikely.