How did your Droid Turbo purchase go?

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
This thread title might be better phrased: "If You have unlimited, how did your Droid Turbo purchase go?". That seems where most of the complaints are coming from (and I understand that from a customer perspective -- I don't have unlimited, so it wasn't an issue for me).

My PRE-purchase experience wasn't so great. I called three stores the afternoon before launch, and each one had a different answer on availability of the phones in general, or 64GB in particular, so I didn't know what to expect on launch day. However, my in store purchase experience went very smoothly. There were already a half dozen customers in the store, and a Verizon rep met me shortly upon walking in, and recorded my name on a tablet and said I was third next to be assisted, which only took about 5 minutes. I told the rep what I wanted, and got it. We discussed accessories very briefly, and he was professional, and not pushy about a case or a protection plan (which was only offered once, and he agreed the BN was robust enough that I should be okay). I was in and out i about 30 minutes. My only complaint was that I didn't get a paper receipt which I was told would be e-mailed to me (still have not received). I did confirm that the correct amount was deducted from my credit card, so I am not too bothered with that.

On a scale of 1 to 100, I'd give my in store purchase experience a 95 -- holding back the 5 percent due to no printed purchase receipt. However, If I get a survey request, my sale rep will score 100%

datagrrl

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Had a terrible experience unfortunately. Went to my local Verizon store shortly after it opened and asked for a 64GB Turbo. Since I have 8 months until I'm eligible for an upgrade I wanted to do Early Edge and pay $27/month. Was told that I would need to give them my old phone (Moto X original). Said I wanted to keep it so I could keep as a backup or give to a friend that needs a new phone but can't afford one. Was told I had no option with Edge except to give back my Moto X. Apparently that is the deal with Edge but seems strange since over 24 months at $27/month I'll pay the full $650 for the Turbo and Verizon feels they should get my old phone. Disappointed but I'm willing to do it because the Turbo seems so great. Figured I'd have a week to return my Moto X so that I'd have time to transfer everything over and take time to get dialed in on the Turbo. Nope, told I had to give them my old phone before leaving and there was no way around it. So I left the store figuring I would order one online and get it tomorrow and have a week to return my old phone.

Tried to order it online and even though Verizon's website indicated my phone is eligible for Early Edge, I only had the option to pay the fully $649.99 at checkout. Figured it was a glitch in their checkout process so I clicked the chat button. The rep I chatted with was surprised the online checkout process wasn't letting me do Early Edge since they were able to confirm that I was eligible. However, they couldn't override the site and said I needed to call my order in over the phone. Not a big deal so I called Verizon.

While ordering with Edge I was asked if my phone had a cracked screen and yes it has a couple small cracks but everything functions completely normally. Was told that to do Edge the phone cannot have any cracks in the screen. They only accept normal wear and tear. I believe it's fairly common for people with phones for over a year to have a crack and is what I would consider normal wear and tear. I have insurance on the phone but the cracks aren't bad enough to do a claim. Anyway, I pleaded with the rep to work with me and let me buy the Turbo with Edge. She was pleasant but said there was nothing she could do.

I can't quite justify paying $650 in full right now when I'll be eligible for an upgrade in 8 months. I'm surprised that Verizon doesn't offer an option to trade in a phone with a cracked screen for a few extra $ per month on Edge. So for the sake of a cracked screen on an old Moto X Verizon didn't want to sell me a Turbo for $650 over 24 months. Aside from being able to stretch the full purchase price over 24 months (the time value of money I do understand) I'm not getting anything special with Edge and having to return my old phone seems way out of balance. Doesn't seem to make sense to me from a business standpoint. I have 2 phones and 2 MiFi devices on my account but that didn't make a difference. Very frustrated that Verizon doesn't have any better options. I've been pleased as a Verizon customer up until now but feel like they could care less about me as a customer. May very well end up taking my business elsewhere. As much as I would love to have the Turbo now, I can live with my Moto X for a while longer. My main complaint about the X is that the battery life is terrible. Hopefully not many other people had their hopes for getting this sweet phone dashed as I did.

I feel for you. I chipped my screen on my S4 a month ago, at the time I planned to get the new Moto X.

I did an insurance claim for it to early edge. Crazy, but I really wanted something new.

The take the old phone because technically you haven't paid for it yet. I think of Edge as a more transparent subsidy.
I tried to transfer an upgrade from another line to put my husband on Edge. That was a mess. He had leas than a month on his contract, but they insisted I give his iPhone 5 back for nothing.

I had a couple reps tell me you can't join Edge without GIVING them a phone. That seems ridiculous. If I completed my contract the phone is mine.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Got to my store at about 10:15 and was sixth in line. Several people were buying Turbos. Asked the rep to check if they had 64gB versions. She asked what color I wanted... Waited 30 minutes before being helped by a newbie rep. He didn't know anything about the $100 rebate in exchange for an old phone. Pointed out the sign advertising such 3 feet away. But everything was easy except for the horribly loud music playing in the background at the store.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lol, my experience was interesting. I was 2nd in line, but i had already reserved the 64GB online with in store pickup and my rep took awhile back there BC she didn't realize that black and 64GB equals ballistic nylon. I had to help her a bit, but it was smooth sailing from there.

I came back hours later and traded in an old Samsung Fascinate for a $100 credit on my next bill. I also had to help that rep bc she was trying to give me $1.00 for my trade rather than the promotioal $100.00. She got it right shortly after that :)

From chatting with both reps it appears that they are the last to know about all this stuff and I kinda feel bad for them. Note that this was all going down at the biggest corporate store in my fairly large city.

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

Last edited:

-Myk-

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Walked in at 2:20 PM, there were a lot of people in the store. I waited 30mins while looking at phones and cases. Made up my mind to go with the BN version. Sales person came over, I told her what I wanted. 20mins later i walked out with My new turbo with my UDP still intact with no issues at all.

I would give the experience a 8.5 out of 10, and that is just due to having to wait.

iamtron

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
My experience went really well. I walked into my verizon store about 1:30pm. No line, no one looking or waiting on Droid Turbo. When was finally my turn, salesman told me they had plenty in any config available. I asked about the $100 trade in. He was not aware of the special, so I showed him the email from Verizon. He went back and asked. He came back and said, OK, we can do that. I traded in a Palm Pre 2. After it was all done, he said they normally would have given me $1 for it but did in fact give me $100.
I got the 64GB version. I wish it would have been available in the red metalized but oh well. I figured the I would have to get the $100 as debit card after the fact, but the salesman was able to immediately apply it to my purchase. So I walked out the door with only $171 out of pocket.
Overall the process was (very surprisingly) very easy and seamless.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I called wednesday night to ask rep if they would let me use a different line for upgrade eligibility without losing UDP. They said yes and were supposed to note the account. Went to a corporate store and they gave some hesitation so I called customer service back while in the store. The customer service rep was really cool. he advised just buy the phone and active it on the line eligible for the upgrade and just call us back and we will switch it over. The store manager spoke to the rep and told him no problem they would do that. As soon as he hung up the phone he then flat out refused to sell me the phone at all. I was a little pissed off to say the least. Figure the whole time took at least an hour.
After leaving there I called customer service and spoke with a young lady that was very cool. She advised to go to a different store and they were really cool about it. The customer service rep even called me back and activated the phone for me. Needless to say I kept the UDP and got the phone I wanted, so It all worked out. But I also have the feeling somehow big red will make sure this is the last time this will be allowed. I expect to pay full retail next time but who knows.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I didn't buy one today, I receive my check Saturday and that's when I'm gonna go get it. But I did visit my local store to check it out. While I was playing around with a Turbo there was another guy next to me doing the same and waiting for a rep to help him. We both exchanged some words about the phone,our excitement for it, etc. He knew a lot about it, so we chatted. When the rep came up to him to help him, and the convo went something like this:

Rep: How may I assist you today:
Customer: I'd like to by the Nylon turbo with 64gb.
Rep: it looks like you're still on contract, the only way you can get it is if you sign up for edge or buy it full price.
Customer: I know,I'd like it buy it full price.
Rep: are you serious? Whats so good about the phone?

He then picks it up and starts to look through it. The dude and I then proceeded to give every detail of the phone to the rep. The rep looked surprised. It was a mutual understanding between the random dude and I lol. I'm gonna buy it either Saturday or Sunday and give my experiences then.

If you're going to buy full price why not do it online - you get free overnight shipping.

almondman

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I just had a chat online with a Verizon rep about buying a Droid turbo 64gb with no plan or contract and here is the transcript

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative
You are now chatting with 'Joe C.'

Joe C.: at 10:39:42
Hello, welcome to Verizon Wireless sales chat! My name is Joe C.

You:
I just had a chat with melissa that went as follows----Can I purchase a 64gb
droid turbo at full price with NO PLAN or contract as a gift for someone?

Melissa: at 10:21:32 Yes you can, you will have to choose a plan in the order, but it does not have to be activated with this plan or even on our network.

Joe C.: at 10:41:00
Yes that is correct you can do that however you would have to select the plan for the order.

You: at 10:41:43
I tried that but i cannot check out without a plan!!

Joe C.: at 10:42:08
I do understand you would have to select a plan.
Joe C.: at 10:42:50
But it don't have to be activated with the plan.

You: at 10:42:58
I do not want a plan right now I just want the phone (no plan no contract)

Joe C.: at 10:43:40
I do understand you wouldn't have to get the plan it just would have to be selected when ordering to have it completed.

You: at 10:44:47
I did that but when i went to checkout it wouldn't let me without a plan

Joe C.: at 10:45:33
Did you select a plan?

You: at 10:47:16
yes during the order then i went to cart and deleted the plan and then selected checkout but when i did that it said i had to have a plan

Joe C.: at 10:48:09
You would have to checkout with the plan in order for it to be completed. I
understand that you do not want a plan however it must be ordered for the order to be complete.

Joe C.: at 10:49:30
Then once you received the phone you can call to have the plan taken off so it wouldn't be activated with us.

You: at 10:50:12
Thanks anyway. I'll just wait until i can buy one directly from Motorola

Joe C.: at 10:50:18
Thank you for your business and for choosing Verizon Wireless!

Has anybody done this?

Posted via Android Central App

teach2LVE2teach

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
My experience was better than expected. My phone (Droid 4) was stolen Tuesday out of my classroom. My contract wasn't due to be up until February. I was sure that I would have to pay the $100 insurance claim. However, when I went to the store to ask this was the convo:
Me: My phone was stolen, I don't want to pay insurance for a refurbished phone for 3 months then pay again to upgrade.
Her: Ok, well you can do edge but you have to turn in your old phone.
Me: No phone, remember... mine was stolen.
Her: Let me ask my manager.
Her: Manager said we can waive the "must turn in old phone thing" (probably b/c no one would have wanted an old Droid 4 anyway.)
Me: Ok, and I want a lower bill. (mine was 95 / month)
Her: You get a $10 discount for the data plan. We can lower you to unlimited talk / text and 2 GB (which is fine because I hardly ever use more than 1) which is $60 / month
Me: I also get a 19% discount through my school.
Her: Yes that still applies...
Her: You need to get a case.
Me: Yes, I know (I work in a classroom with concrete floors).
Her: You also need a wireless charger.
Me: Maybe for Christmas ( I did go back and get the Incipio since my previous phone had such a hard time with cords and the port wearing out.)
Her: We will put your case on your January Bill.

I didn't pay anything out of pocket. I have the case and screen protectors on my January bill. I also will have the $50ish for taxes on that bill as well.

So my bill went from $95+ / month to $70 / month. I got a new phone (that is a DRASTIC improvement over the old timey phone I had) in less than an hour. And with Edge I can get another new phone in 12 months instead of a year.:D

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ours was the easiest we have ever done. The girl that took care of us was great, gave us room to look at the phones without hovering over us. Didn't offer/suggest that we needed to buy a bunch of accessories. And we didn't get out of the store till 30 minutes after their usual close time.

Plus she was cute.

Posted via the Android Central App on a Nexus 10 running Lollipop