Droid Turbo: Ballistic Nylon Crunching Sound?

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Ballistic Nylon: Crunching Sound?

That is my video. I took the phone back to the verizon store i bought it from and the salesman, who was extremely rude, said it was normal and was happening on all the droid turbos they had. so i called motorola directly and they are working on an exchange for me. the rep from motorola was very concerned when i explained the issue and said that it was not normal after i shared the video with her, and said she is working with upper management to get me a new phone. so it does appear to be a defect in their eyes.
Motorola will always follow that route even if its normal. It saves them face.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Turbo

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Yeah guys I have this same problem and all the ballistic nylon turbos I looked st had it. I have a feeling that everyone who days they don't have it aren't looking hard enough. It does seem to be a harmless (but annoying design flaw). For me, putting a hardshell case is a perfectly fine solution.

Turbo-Shot from my Ballistic Turbo

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Yeah guys I have this same problem and all the ballistic nylon turbos I looked st had it. I have a feeling that everyone who days they don't have it aren't looking hard enough. It does seem to be a harmless (but annoying design flaw). For me, putting a hardshell case is a perfectly fine solution.

Those that don't hear it yet may not. Mine didn't do it until last night but eventually I think all of them will do it. Its glue holding it and the sudden heat to cool from battery will loosen it. Disappointing since I want the Turbo to have the build of the RAZR HD but it doesn't. With that said, its still built better than the Droid Maxx and its creaky gaps.

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Those that don't hear it yet may not. Mine didn't do it until last night but eventually I think all of them will do it. Its glue holding it and the sudden heat to cool from battery will loosen it. Disappointing since I want the Turbo to have the build of the RAZR HD but it doesn't. With that said, its still built better than the Droid Maxx and its creaky gaps.

I agree. Although this phone is the most solid phone I've ever owned, besides the crunchy back. The screen doesn't move, the frame is tight, it doesn't creak...its great.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I agree. Although this phone is the most solid phone I've ever owned, besides the crunchy back. The screen doesn't move, the frame is tight, it doesn't creak...its great.

No doubt, its very solid. The RAZR HD didn't have any creaking, crunching, whatever. Silent under the most pressure. Still love the Turbo.

bizzyqu

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

went to buy turbo today, decided I would check for crunch before i bought, and it had it. Had them give me another one the second has a tiny spot where there is crunch but nothing like the other one.

camachinist

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Regarding the crunching sound, perhaps this look at the inside can shed some light. Given the amount of time the tech took to release the back and the wireless charging pad, it appears there's a fair amount of adhesive involved. Variations in QC in that area could be the culprit. Also, it seemed like the back was fairly rigid and the material on the inside, though woven, looked to be different. Perhaps that's the Kevlar stuff they've been talking about, IDK.

<Edited to remove video link as it is already provided upthread>

I checked mine out when I received it and it didn't crunch and I immediately put it in a case so probably won't know the end result until removing it years from now.

Last edited:

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site

Just checked mine again and nothing. Wondering if I should exchange it for the glass fiber one. Thoughts ?

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site

Nah. A crunch noise caused by adhesive which can be bandaided with a case isn't worth the uglier and less storage spaced regular droid turbo

macawmatt

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

No crunch here, but we just got back from the VZW store getting our two 64GB models, after which I spent a couple hours showing my wife's parents some of the basics of the new smartphones they got, and finally get to play/setup my phone. And its going back. Wife's is fine, but mine is already coming unfrayed on one side near the top. Understand that after a year of use that might occur, but on a brand new phone? No.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Just checked mine again and nothing. Wondering if I should exchange it for the glass fiber one. Thoughts ?
The Glass Fiber units do the same thing. I messed with the demo unit and it was showing the crunch when the Ballistic Nylon wasn't. Although now I know both do it.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo 64gb ballistic crunch?

Thank you! I'll keep this in mind. To anyone else with this issue, I heated up the back of the phone with a blow drier on the highest heat. I did it with the phone turned OFF and for about a minute or so...so far so good.

Basically, the glue noise is caused by the wireless charging pad (which has a thin coat of mobile phone glue -- double-sides 3M stuff) not sticking to the battery nicely. If this is heated up, the adhesive is "activated" resulting in more stickiness. When I fix iPad screens, I heat the edges up to make them stick. It seems to have done the trick.

No glue noise...if it comes back I'll certainly take it to Verizon to see what they'll do.

Now it's time to stop obsessing over this beautiful device and get back to writing my hashtable program lol

Mine just started to crunch slightly. Had the phone for one week. This happened with my Maxx, but more noticeable and squeaky. I'm going to take a page out of your book, and try the blow dryer technique.

Njbrandon

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Ballistic Backing question

On the back of the phone just to the right of the right LED flash the material appears to have a bubble in it. This is the second time this has occurred, the first one was separating from the seam along the same line.

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Posted via the Android Central App

Mine has a bubble there too, close to the edge

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
OK So Who's Turbo Makes a "Crunch" Noise?

There seems to be plenty of us with this issue. Our Droid Turbos (Ballistic Nylon 64GB) make a crunch (pop, snap, click, any other sort of adjective to describe the noise caused by adhesive not sticking well) noise when the back nylon is rubbed or pressed. It will do this in different areas on different phones.

It is suspected that the wireless charging foil doesn't adhere well to the metal back underneath it, which causes an adhesive noise in different areas for people.

I know my phone does this over to the lower right of the Motorola logo. All I have to do is lightly run my thumb across this area and the noise can be heard. Others also have this issue.

I have contacted Motorola about the normality of this issue. I will hear back from them on Monday (if not, I'm going to call again).

So, the question remains...WHO ELSE has this issue?

Danny1Bears3

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: OK So Who's Turbo Makes a "Crunch" Noise?

Well I took it into Verizon, checked about 4 phones, all of them had this issue. Exchanged it for one with less of the issue (ballistic nylon 33gb) and charged it up, pressed down the glue, and for now its okay.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: OK So Who's Turbo Makes a "Crunch" Noise?

Mine is free and clear... I have the 32gb Droid Turbo.

Kyyle

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the air bubble and noise in mine too. I thought since I was paying over $700 for a new phone that it could at least come in like new condition. So I tried getting it replace through my Verizon store, who told me to call Verizon to get it replaced who told me to get it replaced via Motorola, who I finally actually got an incident # with, and then they never got back to me about replacing it, even after talking on the phone with two reps and sending in a video and a picture. Now, as of this morning, I dropped my phone and it cracked the screen and the phone won't work at all. It is in a death cycle and just keeps turning on and off, over and over again, boot sound and all. Now I'm afraid I won't have a phone at all.

Any suggestions? I'm planning on going into the Verizon Store when they open to see what I can do, but any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the air bubble and noise in mine too. I thought since I was paying over $700 for a new phone that it could at least come in like new condition. So I tried getting it replace through my Verizon store, who told me to call Verizon to get it replaced who told me to get it replaced via Motorola, who I finally actually got an incident # with, and then they never got back to me about replacing it, even after talking on the phone with two reps and sending in a video and a picture. Now, as of this morning, I dropped my phone and it cracked the screen and the phone won't work at all. It is in a death cycle and just keeps turning on and off, over and over again, boot sound and all. Now I'm afraid I won't have a phone at all.

Any suggestions? I'm planning on going into the Verizon Store when they open to see what I can do, but any insights would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You get a one time exchange if the screen is cracked. Call customer service or take it to a Verizon store to get it replaced out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38