My phone went from 28% to dead.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I continue to be unimpressed with the battery on this phone. I'm out on a mileage run today (5 flights in a day to keep my airline status). I took it off the charger at 4am. For the first 45min flight I left everything on and was down to about 80% by the time I got to Chicago. I then turned off wifi and BT (my phone was supposed to have turned both of them off when I left my house as it was). For subsequent flights I put it into airplane mode.

I was down to 40% by noon and while I was posting something to FB at 2pm I was at 28% and suddenly the phone up and died displaying the low battery icon. Of course I conveniently forgot to bring my charger so I have 2 more flights with a dead phone. All this was really with pretty minimal usage. Couldn't have been more than an hour of OST. The signal seemed pretty decent (other than my first flight where there was obviously none).

The Maxx had a tougher battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1) Did you condition the battery when you first got the phone?

2) Is this a new phone? Android eats a lot of battery in the first few days to a week.

3) Phone chargers are universal - you can borrow anyone's charger. If it's lower current than yours, the phone will just charge more slowly.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

2) Is this a new phone? Android eats a lot of battery in the first few days to a week.

3) Phone chargers are universal - you can borrow anyone's charger. If it's lower current than yours, the phone will just charge more slowly.

I got the phone on launch day so its well settled in. I was hoping to find one of those kiosks where they have the cables you can just connect your phone to, but they seem to have been replaced with plug in stations. Yes, I'd gladly use someone else's charger if there was one to use. I'm traveling alone so I don't have anyone I know here and haven't seen any strangers sitting there with an unused charger to try and borrow for a bit.

I'm still not impressed with the battery.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Almost every airport I have been to sells phone chargers.

Flying in an airplane without turning on airplane mode (for the cellular radio) is really hard on the battery. Cell radios when they have marginal coverage will increase power to the antenna to try to hold a signal. That may explain quick draining while you are in an airplane.

I'm not sure about a sudden 28% drop. Maybe it's time to call for a warranty replacement?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I got the phone on launch day so its well settled in. I was hoping to find one of those kiosks where they have the cables you can just connect your phone to, but they seem to have been replaced with plug in stations. Yes, I'd gladly use someone else's charger if there was one to use. I'm traveling alone so I don't have anyone I know here and haven't seen any strangers sitting there with an unused charger to try and borrow for a bit.

Here's an idea: return it for a new phone if you hate it so much. From your other posts here, you obviously don't like the phone or it's features (or lack thereof) at all. Your battery is obviously a dud, so you have a reason to return it outright due to manufacturer defect. Get a new phone, or use your previous phone. Simple as that.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
It has been mentioned in several other threads some people having issues with the battery percentage not matching what it actually is. From what Ive read its usually being stuck at 100%. Just a thought but if it was me I would probably be looking for a replacement.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Apparently I must be having that problem. I got back, plug it into my car and it suddenly says its at 100%. Looking at the graph it looks like it only got down to around 30% or so before it died. A few days ago it stuck at 100% for most of the day which I thought was odd but then seem to be back to normal yesterday so I didn't think much of it. Even say that 100 percent after I turned it off and back on. They clearly went a little wacky today so I'll have to give them a call tomorrow or stop by the store and see about a replacement maybe if this is a known issue

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's an idea: return it for a new phone if you hate it so much. From your other posts here, you obviously don't like the phone or it's features (or lack thereof) at all. Your battery is obviously a dud, so you have a reason to return it outright due to manufacturer defect. Get a new phone, or use your previous phone. Simple as that.
I don't hate the phone, I'm just not impressed with the battery or the camera. Everything else is great

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Almost every airport I have been to sells phone chargers.

Flying in an airplane without turning on airplane mode (for the cellular radio) is really hard on the battery. Cell radios when they have marginal coverage will increase power to the antenna to try to hold a signal. That may explain quick draining while you are in an airplane.

I'm not sure about a sudden 28% drop. Maybe it's time to call for a warranty replacement?
Yes. I thought about buying a charger at the airport but figured I would just make it half a day with no phone. I somehow survived that way earlier in life and figured I could make it again. I didn't think I needed another charger sitting around.

I figured the first flight was a little hard on the battery with it searching for signal constantly although in the past I thought I had remembered not turning it off and it not sucking quite that much out of it. I made sure to put it into airplane mode for the subsequent flights though and it's really only lost 1 or 2 percent during that time.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Apparently I must be having that problem. I got back, plug it into my car and it suddenly says its at 100%. Looking at the graph it looks like it only got down to around 30% or so before it died. A few days ago it stuck at 100% for most of the day which I thought was odd but then seem to be back to normal yesterday so I didn't think much of it. Even say that 100 percent after I turned it off and back on. They clearly went a little wacky today so I'll have to give them a call tomorrow or stop by the store and see about a replacement maybe if this is a known issue

Have you ever run it down to about 20%, shut it completely off and then charged it overnight? Sometimes that fixes the sync between actual battery charge and battery meter readings.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Have you ever run it down to about 20%, shut it completely off and then charged it overnight? Sometimes that fixes the sync between actual battery charge and battery meter readings.
I guess I technically did that today. My phone had been off because it was dead can then I plugged it in and it suddenly read 100%.

Here is the graph that I took when I turned it back on. Can't post the GSAM stats because it reset when it suddenly read 100 percent again.

cde276ea781dc36db6a4dba8f2cda8d8.jpg

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the graph, the signal was apparently worse than I thought it was, but it still doesn't explain the sudden death at 28% and then the sudden 100% when I plugged it back in.

fonger13

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Clearing the cache now. We'll see how it goes.

Same thing happen to me, battery going nuts, dying quickly, getting stuck at 100%, TURBOOO CHARGE to 100 from 0 in 10 minutes, then quickly die.
I tried all the tricks people said on here, and I'm sorry but it doesn't really work. The battery didn't behave normally till 2 days after the incident.
I'm pretty sure there's a software bug, not sure when or if they will address it. I was outside of the 14 days return period when this happened. I tried to get Verizon to exchange it for the Xperia phone but they wouldn't. I didn't want to exchange it for another Turbo since the problem will probably be there as well. Hopefully the next update will fix this issue.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Explain what you mean by "conditioning."

Lithium chemistry batteries do not need and don't benefit from any conditioning cycles prior to use. Just proper charge/discharge cycles.