So over it.... Wish i could go back to s5

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Two new gripes that I forgot to post about . LOL

1. The double tap zoom feature is very annoying. It locks up the screen with the blue frame and I always do it on accident.

2. No option to restart? I read somewhere that you are supposed to hold the power button, but that has never worked for me.

Solutions???

I'm not sure what you mean by number 1.

For number 2, standard android, which Motorola uses, does not have a restart command. So you long press power to bring up the power off command, power off, then power on. I can't believe that's so terrible. Also, because you cannot battery pull, a long press of power (10 seconds, I believe) will do a phone restart, as a replacement for pulling and then reinstalling a battery. (It may be that it just shuts down rather than restart; I don't feel much like testing it right now..)

Popat

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My biggest complaint here is that these things are put in for efficiency. Why would you not put in a restart power option? Only seems to make sense. The long press just turns the power off.

Same deal with using the power button to hang up a call, and turn on the screen. If you are going to insert it as an option, then why not do it the right way?

Screenshot_2015-01-20-18-11-44.jpg

Double tap feature!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not Motorola that's removed stuff from Android - it's Samsung that's added stuff that's not in standard android. If you don't like it, return the phone and get a Samsung. If that's not an option, surely adjusting your behavior is better than griping about what you can't change.

I restart my phone maybe once a week. Having to do two steps is not a big hardship. When I talk on the phone, I either hold it to my face or I talk over bt if I'm in the car. I don't need what you need, I guess.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, do you mean settings / accessibility / magnification gestures? That's the only thing I can think of you're talking about.

Turn it off if you don't need it. I honestly thought it was off by default.

Jordan Sheppard

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. The phone is good but the camera has been a huge disappointment along with all of the Bluetooth bugs I've had after the advanced calling update. I want my iPhone 5S back lol

I too suffer the BT bugs. I think its why I spend more time using my moto x

Posted via my moto x 2014 or droid turbo, whichever I'm using at the moment

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
It does have a "reset" feature.

Press and hold the power button for 10+sec. This will power down and automatically power back on.

Same as Samsung reset option.

I tried it side by side with my wife's S4. The Turbo is back up and running about 3sec faster from the first press of power button.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
What is the double tap feature?

As I said, I think it's the accessibility magnification option, and it's triple tap, not double tap. Of course you can double tap within some apps to zoom, like in Chrome for desktop Web sites, but that's different from the magnification gesture.

tlacour

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
As I said, I think it's the accessibility magnification option, and it's triple tap, not double tap. Of course you can double tap within some apps to zoom, like in Chrome for desktop Web sites, but that's different from the magnification gesture.

I just found it. I think you're right. It even has the blue outline when magnified. Another triple tap pans back out. It doesn't allow you to move around much when zoomed, but it doesn't lock up on mine.

I had to enable it myself. Default is in off position.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Curious why you would think Edge is a ripoff. You know going in you have to pay off a certain amount of the full price to edge up. If you pay the phone off in full, you keep it anyhow. Just do that and sell it. You only don't get to keep it if you just pay the percentage. Compared to signing a 2 year contract, there is no disadvantage to Edge.

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
It's not Motorola that's removed stuff from Android - it's Samsung that's added stuff that's not in standard android.

I agree. I honestly can't remember ever having a phone that had a restart option, but then I haven't had a Samsung since my early flip phone days. Regardless I didn't think the newer phones needed to be restarted that often, so I don't see what's so bad about powering off and then powering on when needed. The last phone I had that needed a restart on a regular basis was my Atrix.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Curious why you would think Edge is a ripoff. You know going in you have to pay off a certain amount of the full price to edge up. If you pay the phone off in full, you keep it anyhow. Just do that and sell it. You only don't get to keep it if you just pay the percentage. Compared to signing a 2 year contract, there is no disadvantage to Edge.

In fact, there is an advantage. Supposing you pay off your phone in the 24 months allotted time and decide to keep it. Going forward your monthly bill is reduced by your phone payment amount. In my case, with 4 family members on Edge, that means in Dec. 2016, my monthly bill will be reduced by $102 a month. That's a serious chunk of change. Had I bought the Turbos on the subsidized price my bill would not be reduced. I don't think the Turbos will be obsolete by then.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I honestly can't remember ever having a phone that had a restart option, but then I haven't had a Samsung since my early flip phone days. Regardless I didn't think the newer phones needed to be restarted that often, so I don't see what's so bad about powering off and then powering on when needed. The last phone I had that needed a restart on a regular basis was my Atrix.

IIRC my HTC Dinc 1&2, Rezound, and my Samsung Galaxy S3 all had a restart option when powering down. I only tried using it a couple times on my HTC devices, and it screwed things up. Otherwise I honestly never wanted or needed that feature. In fact, coming from an S3 to a Droid Maxx and then the Turbo, the only Samsung feature I ever missed was the one in the call history page where you swipe sideways on a contact one way to call, and swipe the opposite direction to text. I never used things like smart stay (screen stays on as long as you're looking at it) because I tend to look away frequently, tilt phone to zoom in/out, etc.

I really wish Samsung would go stock android and make Touchwiz a separate launcher, and their features be separate apps as well. Motorola has done this, and HTC is starting to. I think doing this will lead not only to the device running quicker and more efficiently, but also speed up updates as well.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
In fact, there is an advantage. Supposing you pay off your phone in the 24 months allotted time and decide to keep it. Going forward your monthly bill is reduced by your phone payment amount. In my case, with 4 family members on Edge, that means in Dec. 2016, my monthly bill will be reduced by $102 a month. That's a serious chunk of change. Had I bought the Turbos on the subsidized price my bill would not be reduced. I don't think the Turbos will be obsolete by then.

You get the $25 credit either way. If you're not on contract, you get the discount. I have two of five lines that were both 2 year agreements and I get the credit for both lines since the 2 year agreements have expired. I had to call to get it put on the account, but it applies to any month-to-month.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You get the $25 credit either way. If you're not on contract, you get the discount. I have two of five lines that were both 2 year agreements and I get the credit for both lines since the 2 year agreements have expired. I had to call to get it put on the account, but it applies to any month-to-month.

When you say you're not on contract, you also mean that you're buying through EDGE, correct? Because I was considering switching to a newer plan due to many on our share plan needing a new device and not wanting to pay full retail up front. When I asked about my line, where I'd already bought the Turbo full retail, I was told I wasn't eligible for the discount, and that I had to be on an EDGE plan to qualify. They said I could get a new Turbo through EDGE and sell my old one and I'd be eligible for the discount. We ended up buying used phones off eBay and stayed with our current plan because of that.

It could very well be that the CSR just wanted another commission even if he had to screw me out of money. Wouldn't surprise me with Verizon being how they normally are. I would've thought they'd have been happy enough to get me off of a UDP, but apparently they're not happy unless they thoroughly screw over their customers.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
When you say you're not on contract, you also mean that you're buying through EDGE, correct? Because I was considering switching to a newer plan due to many on our share plan needing a new device and not wanting to pay full retail up front. When I asked about my line, where I'd already bought the Turbo full retail, I was told I wasn't eligible for the discount, and that I had to be on an EDGE plan to qualify. They said I could get a new Turbo through EDGE and sell my old one and I'd be eligible for the discount. We ended up buying used phones off eBay and stayed with our current plan because of that.

It could very well be that the CSR just wanted another commission even if he had to screw me out of money. Wouldn't surprise me with Verizon being how they normally are. I would've thought they'd have been happy enough to get me off of a UDP, but apparently they're not happy unless they thoroughly screw over their customers.

Call them again and insist. My own line was on a 2yr until last September and the day it was out of contract I called and had the discount applied. Another of our 5 lines hasn't been under contract since last April, and the moment it was eligible, I called and have had it since. Neither were on Edge. If you paid full retail and are not under contract, you get the discount. The purpose of edge is to spread that payment over the 2 years. If you've already paid for it, you shouldn't have to pay twice. Definitely call to insist on it. 10GB share or higher gets $25.

http://m.androidcentral.com/verizon-give-discounts-customers-contract-phones

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ort/more-everything-plan-faqs/&token=HnsSPHS8

From the vzw faq:
Discounts on the monthly line access charge are available if you have a smartphone with Verizon Edge or are on a month-to-month agreement.

You'll receive $25 off the monthly line access charge if you meet the following requirements:

You have a smartphone with Verizon Edge or you re on a month to month agreement
Your data allowance is 10 GB or greater

You'll receive $15 off the monthly line access charge if you meet the following requirements:

You have a smartphone with Verizon Edge or you're on a month to month agreement
Your data allowance is 500 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, 3 GB, 4 GB, 6 GB or 8 GB
Note: Existing and qualifying Edge customers on The MORE Everything Plan automatically receive the discounts.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo