Getting Excessive Lag

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
My Turbo can easily get bogged down and run extremely slowly. Sometimes my keyboard (SwiftKey) can't keep up with my thumbs. I'm running Nova Launcher (paid version) but Nova has a good reputation as being a responsive launcher.

I have 51% free space out of my 64GB of memory. This lag is a daily occurrence. I usually do a soft reset (hold the power key until the phone shuts off and turns back on) and it improves performance, but I'm concerned because I have found little, if any, complaints about there being any lag in the Turbo.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
My Turbo can easily get bogged down and run extremely slowly. Sometimes my keyboard (SwiftKey) can't keep up with my thumbs. I'm running Nova Launcher (paid version) but Nova has a good reputation as being a responsive launcher.

I have 51% free space out of my 64GB of memory. This lag is a daily occurrence. I usually do a soft reset (hold the power key until the phone shuts off and turns back on) and it improves performance, but I'm concerned because I have found little, if any, complaints about there being any lag in the Turbo.

Yep, by all means clean the cache partition. That may fix your issue.

I haven't experienced any lag with SwiftKey and Nova Prime, both of which I use as my defaults. I have seen complaints about SwiftKey lag, though. Near as I can tell, those have seemed to have been tied to emoji more than typing text, but that's certainly my anecdotal observation.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Based on this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...ddenly-started-draining-fast.html#post4283666

Try uninstalling whatever that McAfee Innovations thing is.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Lag is almost always due to apps running in the background. A phone like the Turbo should see no bothersome lag running normally. If it's not that mcafee app, it's probably another app.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

I don't use swiftkey, because it just doesn't like my swyping habits, but Nova Prime is definitely fine tuned for good performance. I will suggest that rather than use what you describe as a soft reset, you instead power down the phone, then power it back on if you want to perform a power recycle. Based on my understanding, the "hold power button down" function is closer to a battery pull than a soft reset, and is not the most elegant method for power cycling your phone.

The cache clearing suggestions are definitely merit worthy, and if you do have anything by McAfee installed on your phone, I would nix it post haste.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I do have McAfee and based on feedback, I'll get rid of it. I'll also perform the recommended cache purge/clean. Thank you everyone!

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I do have McAfee and based on feedback, I'll get rid of it. I'll also perform the recommended cache purge/clean. Thank you everyone!

I strongly suspect McAfee is the culprit & a cache wipe is definitely a good idea. There should be zero lag on the Turbo, it's a blazing fast, powerful phone. FWIW, SwiftKey is instant on mine.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I strongly suspect McAfee is the culprit & a cache wipe is definitely a good idea. There should be zero lag on the Turbo, it's a blazing fast, powerful phone. FWIW, SwiftKey is instant on mine.

I made the suggested changes and so far so good!

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I made the suggested changes and so far so good!

Great to hear. Nova and Swiftkey are among the very first things I install on a phone.

Moving forward, do a cache partition clean periodically. I usually do one if I uninstall a number of apps, or upgrade a number of apps. Also, after an OS update. Otherwise, just when it seems to have been a while.

Enjoy.