Error: "Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped" when I receive a phone call.....?

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Why am I getting this error on my phone each time I receive a call? I even have to click OK to acknowledge the error in order to answer the call. Very annoying.

Wiping partition cache didn't help.

Is there anything I can do?

JohnS305

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I started getting that over the weekend, not just receiving calls but also making them. Now yesterday I made one call and it didn't happen so maybe it resolved itself.

antk90

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Error: "Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped" when I receive a phone call.....?

Been seeing this too. May be a problem on the server end.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ckelly33

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Re: Error: "Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped" when I receive a phone call.....?

Doing some reading on other sites (and other phone models having the same issue). Several are recommending disabling Google+ to resolve. So far so good for me.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Same thing has been happening for a while on my 2013 Moto X.

Will try disabling Google+

Sent from my Moto X

TechCaptain

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
That's been happening on my Droid Maxx as well. I wonder if it's a Motorola thing.

Sent from my (still relevant) Droid Maxx

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you do use G+ and don't want to disable it, you may be able to get by if you go into the G+ app, go into settings, tap your google account, tap contacts, then uncheck "keep contacts up to date".

[edit] This does NOT work...

Last edited:

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
If you do use G+ and don't want to disable it, you may be able to get by if you go into the G+ app, go into settings, tap your google account, tap contacts, then uncheck "keep contacts up to date".

By the way, credit to this post on the Moto user forums: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/76a2984e42?commentId=912954#912954

(I knew I'd seen that somewhere, just found it...)

I use that setting mostly because it associates the phone's "me" contact with my info on Google+, so I have an avatar photo for myself in apps like messaging apps, plus all of my contact info only has to edited once when I change it. But, thinking about it now, I edit that stuff very rarely. I see the "contacts has stopped" message only once in a while myself, like maybe once every two weeks. But, I'm keeping this solution stored in my head in case I need it...

jesta192

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Been having the issue as of about a week ago. Not convinced that Google+ is causing the problem (based on the comment in that Moto forum thread which basically said "Google+ is definitely the cause! But it still happens after I disabled Google+").

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Unfortunately, this does not stop the error from happening. It just happened to me again...

reisb

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Happened all the time with my RAZR maxx HD and is now happening with new turbo. Sadly, I think its a Motorola thing.

Been debating on trying Samsung again. I'll wait till late summer when prices dropped and compare the two I guess.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Happened all the time with my RAZR maxx HD and is now happening with new turbo. Sadly, I think its a Motorola thing.

Been debating on trying Samsung again. I'll wait till late summer when prices dropped and compare the two I guess.

If I'm not mistaken, this error has been reported for numerous brands, including Samsung Galaxy models, since Google+ was recently updated.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Nope! I was experiencing the same thing and I googled it. One wise man had stated it has something to do with the bands and signals and radios and stuff.

So I went back into time and realized that the error started showing up AFTER I WENT INTO SETTINGS> MORE> MOBILE NETWORKS> PREFERRED NETWORK TYPES, and changed the settings from Global to LTE/GSM/UMTS. I did that because another wise guy on the internet said it helped increase the signal strength as I was getting low signals on my droid turbo.

So I went ahead and changed it back to Global. And it got fixed. I've never received the same error again.

Sooooo... If you've done the same thing as me, change it back. If you haven't, change it to whatever's appropriate to your region. Whatever you are using select that option. And then check again.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!

Posted via the Android Central App

reisb

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Nope! I was experiencing the same thing and I googled it. One wise man had stated it has something to do with the bands and signals and radios and stuff.

So I went back into time and realized that the error started showing up AFTER I WENT INTO SETTINGS> MORE> MOBILE NETWORKS> PREFERRED NETWORK TYPES, and changed the settings from Global to LTE/GSM/UMTS. I did that because another wise guy on the internet said it helped increase the signal strength as I was getting low signals on my droid turbo.

So I went ahead and changed it back to Global. And it got fixed. I've never received the same error again.

Sooooo... If you've done the same thing as me, change it back. If you haven't, change it to whatever's appropriate to your region. Whatever you are using select that option. And then check again.

I hope this helps!
Cheers!

I'm confused. So you're saying to change it to LTE...but then changed it back to Global? If that's the case, you didn't really change anything, so how would that fix it?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused. So you're saying to change it to LTE...but then changed it back to Global? If that's the case, you didn't really change anything, so how would that fix it?

He's not on Verizon, but is on a network in Pakistan, so I doubt that will have any affect on most Turbo users.

For sure the most effective solution I've seen is to disable the G+ app. If that still doesn't fix it, there may be some corruption in the contacts storage, so I'd go into People, use menu to open the settings and find the export to storage command (just in case), then go into setting / apps, slide to "ALL" at the top, look for "Contacts storage" and tap it and then tap the button "clear data".

Again, this will erase all of your contacts from the phone. If you sync with Google or with Verizon Backup Assistant, they will all come back after the next sync. Otherwise you'll have to rebuild them, perhaps from the backup that you did in the above step.

But, like I said, I've had good luck with this since I logged out of my Google account. After the G+ app was updated a few weeks later, I updated the app, restarted the phone, and then logged back in. I've had no contacts crash since then when I receive phone calls.

This was a known issue with the G+ app on phones other than Motorola phones. They didn't list a changelog with the last update that mentioned fixes to contacts integration, but, again, it's fixed it for me.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Not to add to the confusion...BUT I've been using G + for months and have not had any of the contacts error issues, but as I finish this post I'm sure I will now.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Not to add to the confusion...BUT I've been using G + for months and have not had any of the contacts error issues, but as I finish this post I'm sure I will now.

Yep, mine cropped up one day in early April. Nothing short of logging out of G+ made them go away (though most others seemed to say that only disabling the app would work for them.) Meanwhile, others were reporting this issue, which was how I found out about it. It seems to be hit-or-miss for sure.

If you look at the G+ settings within your account, there is a setting to keep contacts up to date, and I suspect there is something there that is causing the sproadic problems. However, once I started having the problem, even disabling that setting would not stop the contacts crash for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa