Removing glue from nylon back

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
New to the forums, I've been lurking for a looong time (that's not creepy at all, right?).

I recently purchased the Turbo ballistic nylon 64gb used. The previous owner had some sort of credit card holder attached to the back of the phone that was secured with some type of adhesive. Most of the adhesive came right off without a problem but there remains a circular mark of solid glue/adhesive on the middle of the nylon back.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to remove the glue? I was thinking nail polish remover (acetone) but I wasn't sure if that would adversely affect the nylon. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to becoming an active member here!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there! Welcome to the Forums!
If it's one of those glue dots that are meant to keep a holdster to the phone, it's gonna be hard to get off without damage. Acetone should not damage the nylon, but if it's a 'normal' adhesive, I'd try hand sanitizer first. Trust me, it works for most sticky residues and is far gentler to the device and your hands.

See this for the acetone resistance of Nylon.
http://www.newmantools.com/pipestoppers/NYLON_chem_resistance_nt.pdf

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Solid find with the nylon PDF! I tried the hand sanitizer, like you said SpookDroid, but it did nothing. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the prompt response SpookDroid!

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
KA1OTE removed the Verizon logo with rubbing alcohol, I believe.

Thanks Toes Up, I was wondering if rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover might do the trick. I'll start with rubbing alcohol and move on to acetone, if needed. Glad to hear that another user used rubbing alcohol with no ill effects.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is a long shot, but if you have Simple Green nearby, you can use that too. Rubbing alcohol should do the same as the hand sanitizer as they're almost the same thing. But can't hurt to try. Just remember to let it soak in for a bit on the sticky residue.

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I'll try putting a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol on it for a while tonight. If that doesn't work, acetone. If that doesn't work, I'll go pick up some Goo Gone from Home Depot.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

linebusy

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Goo Gone
Very equipment-friendly. Very effective on adhesives.
Alcohol is OK for cleaning, but it's not particularly effective against adhesives.
Acetone is more aggressive, but not friendly to plastic. We use it more on circuit boards and more resilient surfaces.
Goof-Off will mess things up, quick. That stuff will melt some plastics.

Goo-Gone is a very friendly, effective cleaner.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Goo gone or goof off should do the trick. If not, try a dab of Goop hand cleaner (or similar). Put a dab on there, let it soak for a couple hours, then it should wipe off.

Sent from my Ballistic Turbo

Phoenix212

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Thanks linebusy. I did not have a chance to do anything with the phone last night thanks to a wailing baby. I'll pick up some Goo Gone soon and report back.