Update for Softcard today?

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyone care to explain WTH is up with the update out today for the now dead Softcard app installed by Verizon? I grabbed it thinking they had enabled it to be uninstalled but apparently not. Only option is to remove the update. I find it more than a little irritating that we have a totally non-functional app that cannot be removed. Bloat is one thing but bloat that doesn't even work? C'mon man.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone care to explain WTH is up with the update out today for the now dead Softcard app installed by Verizon? I grabbed it thinking they had enabled it to be uninstalled but apparently not. Only option is to remove the update. I find it more than a little irritating that we have a totally non-functional app that cannot be removed. Bloat is one thing but bloat that doesn't even work? C'mon man.

It can be disabled. Very easily. And even if you removed it, it wouldn't add any more space for other apps - it's in the system partition. Deleting from system doesn't add room to the data partition.

Even if it did, it's only 25 MB. I can't believe anybody is hurting for 25 MB.

It will take an OTA update to remove the app...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh, I don't know what it fixed. I do know they're not allowing anybody to activate the service who hadn't activated it already. Maybe it was simply that...

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
It can be disabled. Very easily. And even if you removed it, it wouldn't add any more space for other apps - it's in the system partition. Deleting from system doesn't add room to the data partition.

Even if it did, it's only 25 MB. I can't believe anybody is hurting for 25 MB.

It will take an OTA update to remove the app...
You're right, of course. That said, it's a very long stretch to consider it a solution for being compelled to keep a dead app on your device that you never installed, never wanted and now couldn't use even if you wanted to. It's not about the wasted space. Bloatware is a bit of a nuisance but dead bloatware is more than I can abide. I want it gone and if it's still there post 5.1 arriving, I'm done.

The Turbo is simply the best phone I've ever owned but if Lollipop doesn't remove it I'm out with Verizon and I say that after being with them longer than a lot of folks here have been alive. Never again will I buy a carrier branded device. Fortunately, we do have choices, both in carriers and an ever increasing volume of high end product available minus the bloat.

I know this sort of thing might seem trivial to some (perhaps most) people but it's become a matter of principal to me. I've simply made up my mind to no longer accept this sort of behavior and will, if need be, take my money & business somewhere else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez