WiFi Notification (disconnect?)

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is something I've wondered about for a while, but it hasn't seemed to cause obvious issues, so I haven't investigated further. If it is an issue, maybe correcting it can give me a performance bump somehow, though.

I have the setting to show WiFi notifications in the notifications panel set to on. This gives me the "Wifi Connected to (network)" notification in the notifications shade when it first connects.

The possible issue is that I see this notification reappear periodcially after I've cleared it. Even if my location/network hasn't changed. I assume this means the Turbo has disconnected and reconnected to the WiFi network, but there isn't a reason it should have (eliminating situations where I moved enough or where a public connection sucks).

My home network does this quite a bit, but otherwise we don't have issuess with it disconnecting on other devices. It also doesn't seem I have WiFi issues when using the Turbo at home.

I do have WiFi Optimization active. Is it possible there is a disconnection happening as part of that feature? I'm guessing not, but this is the first thing other than an actual problem I could think of. Also, I have the "Keep WiFi on during sleep" setting set to Always.

Any thoughts? If the WiFi keeps shutting on and off, I figurte that's not for the best when I'm in my home network. So, curious if others see this or know what the issue might be.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't know. It's very possible that the wifi system checks to see if that notification is active and recreates it if it is cleared. I never clear it myself so I really can't tell you.

I suppose you could try disabling wifi optimization and see if it changes anything about the notification (plus make sure that "avoid poor connections" is off - I know that this will disconnect you if the phone senses no activity through the wifi interface).

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't know. It's very possible that the wifi system checks to see if that notification is active and recreates it if it is cleared. I never clear it myself so I really can't tell you.

I suppose you could try disabling wifi optimization and see if it changes anything about the notification (plus make sure that "avoid poor connections" is off - I know that this will disconnect you if the phone senses no activity through the wifi interface).

Ah! If the poor connections setting disconnects when there's no WiFi traffic, I'm sure that's it. Thank you! I incorrectly assumed that since my network has an "Excellent" signal, there would be no disconnection via that setting. I don't think the notification is simply being recreated because I cleared it, based on the fact it reappears inconsistently overall.

I had noticed first thing in the morning the notification of connection would routinely reappear, and that makes sense, as I've been sleeping and not actively using the Turbo, nor has there been much background stuff happening. That's the only consistency in the timing of the notificatio reappearing, though.

Now, the question seems to be whether changing the setting matters in terms of performance or battery saving? I tend to manually shut off WiFi when I leave the house, and turn it on when I am elsewhere with an available WiFi connection. So, I don't really need it to disconnect for me with no traffic, especially if turning it off and on slows it down or uses more battery.

I'm guessing this is a negligible issue, which is why I haven't brought it up previously. That and I've noticed no actual connectivity issues that have been problematic.

Thanks again, doogald.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah! If the poor connections setting disconnects when there's no WiFi traffic, I'm sure that's it. Thank you! I incorrectly assumed that since my network has an "Excellent" signal, there would be no disconnection via that setting.

If your isp connection glitched, it would disconnect from wifi with that setting. (Or, if you are at Starbucks and their wifi connection is saturated and no packets got through, this setting will temporarily disconnect wifi and try again in a few minutes.)

I've seen this happen in my house, where I have 3 wifi access points with the same ssid, so there is literally no corner of the house that lacks coverage.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
If your isp connection glitched, it would disconnect from wifi with that setting. (Or, if you are at Starbucks and their wifi connection is saturated and no packets got through, this setting will temporarily disconnect wifi and try again in a few minutes.)

I've seen this happen in my house, where I have 3 wifi access points with the same ssid, so there is literally no corner of the house that lacks coverage.

Yeah, when out and about at Starbucks and other public hotspots, I see the notification reappear frequently. In those cases, and based on the crappy connections overall in a lot of those situations, I figured it was as it seems; the connection was broken and reconnected. I just didn't suspect that to be the case at home, since other connected devices seemed to have no issues and the Turbo itself didn't when connected.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
An update. This evening I had a couple of reconnection notifications pop up in the naitifcations shade, even with "avoid poor connections" unchecked. So, that isn't the culprit.

I checked avoid poor connections as I'd had it originally and unchecked "WiFi optimization" and not long after received reconnection notifications with that configuration, too.

So, I'm back to not knowing why the connection is (apparently) reconnecting.