DROID TURBO: 5.1 Lollipop Update

Emporess Amanda

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

throughout the day is the same I just used that as an example
77% 7 hours left screen 8% which is the top thing listed when it was at 98% it said 9 hours left screen was at 1% and it had been on 15 min

and between those two measurements it has not been 2 hours more like 40 min if that

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I really really really hate FDR, its just a pain to have to do. My phone is set up perfectly and that's just so annoying to have to do. So far the cache wipe made battery life alot better. I'll have to see a week go by to be able to determine if its back to its great self.

I have never had to do a FDR on any device and never had a problem with an update. Maybe just lucky or careful about installing a bunch of apps and launchers that add questionable value. Not saying others shouldn't do it, but it would be a pain for me with all the apps I need for work that I have to get codes for from the IT department to reinstall.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid Turbo: Lollipop software update?

throughout the day is the same I just used that as an example
77% 7 hours left screen 8% which is the top thing listed when it was at 98% it said 9 hours left screen was at 1% and it had been on 15 min

and between those two measurements it has not been 2 hours more like 40 min if that

What's the screen on time though? Percentage isnt useful in this case. What percentage is your display kept at? Auto brightness?

Something sounds like there's an issue. Maybe something is synching constantly now.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I have never had to do a FDR on any device and never had a problem with an update. Maybe just lucky or careful about installing a bunch of apps and launchers that add questionable value. Not saying others shouldn't do it, but it would be a pain for me with all the apps I need for work that I have to get codes for from the IT department to reinstall.

exactly, ive never had to do it. It shouldnt be a requirement to have good battery life.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
exactly, ive never had to do it. It shouldnt be a requirement to have good battery life.

It's not a requirement as plenty haven't had an issue. But random quirks do arise so it may be necessary for some people. I did a factory reset myself just for the heck of it and I've had zero performance issues. It's okay though, not everyone wants to but it may come to this.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

You're right. But, like I said, if you're having weird errors after the update, such as seeing an optimizing apps message every time you restart, it's surely possible that an fdr will help.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

It's not a requirement as plenty haven't had an issue. But random quirks do arise so it may be necessary for some people. I did a factory reset myself just for the heck of it and I've had zero performance issues. It's okay though, not everyone wants to but it may come to this.
You're both right. This takes me back to the days when I wouldn't use a PC I didn't build myself, and I would format the hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch once a year, so that everything ran nice and smooth. I SHOULDN'T have had to do that either. Thankfully, hardware is so far advanced now, and software (and the operating system) is mostly mature enough that this is no longer even a thought in the back of my mind to have to ensure satisfactory PC performance.

I hope we are not far from a point in Android phone OS updates where we don't even have to think about these kind of issues. I'll even go a step further and say that it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to roll back your update if you're unhappy with it.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You're both right. This takes me back to the days when I wouldn't use a PC I didn't build myself, and I would format the hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch once a year, so that everything ran nice and smooth. I SHOULDN'T have had to do that either. Thankfully, hardware is so far advanced now, and software (and the operating system) is mostly mature enough that this is no longer even a thought in the back of my mind to have to ensure satisfactory PC performance.

I hope we are not far from a point in Android phone OS updates where we don't even have to think about these kind of issues. I'll even go a step further and say that it is not unreasonable to expect to be able to roll back your update if you're unhappy with it.

I don't think I ever have to format my computers. I have a newer Samsung laptop now with an SSD so everything is smooth. My friends, on the other hand, format often it seems. Their computers are always bogged down and I can't even bare to use them for the most simple task.

I had a beast desktop with an i7 processor in it. It was a gaming setup and I never once had to format it except for when I upgraded to Windows 8 since I was a beta tester. Since I gave it to my brother in January, he has crashed it 4+ times due to Windows update failures. So weird.

I hope Android gets to this point and I agree a factory reset shouldn't be necessary. I think the reason most of us dislike them is it seems Verizon and all other carriers push this as a final resort trouble shooting step before they replace it. That's great, assuming the issue is software related. But distorted speakers is one I heard personally and its ridiculous. If this wasn't the step they tried so often I think less people would be angry.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I really believe one reason some people seem to have to reset (format) their computers and do factory resets on phones is because of all the junk they install, usually from untrusted sources. This is especially true with Windows. I know people that actually click on all that junk that pops up over the internet when you are browsing. You know, the "your PC is slow, speed it up now" crap. They also install a lot of free games and illegal music downloading software that puts all sorts of malware on their PC. For my phone, I guess maybe I am underutilizing it, but I don't have that many apps installed. I think when L came my Turbo said it was optimizing 54 apps. Heck, I even deleted the flashlight app I was using when L came with the native ability to turn on the LEDs. I have all the apps I have to use for work such as Touchdown for email, then just a few more like GPS status and speedtest. I have relatives that complain about their phone acting up and being slow and I see they have launchers and all kinds of anti-virus crap that you don't really need as long as you get your apps from the play store. Anyway, just my opinion as to why some seem to have constant problems and others don't.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Android isn't windows. There isn't the equivalent of external .dll files that get left behind when apps are uninstalled. Android apps are self-contained, sandboxed, and don't leave behind cruft when you uninstall.

However, if you have apps that you use regularly that have their data corrupted, or perhaps start interfering with other apps, then it's time either to uninstall apps a few at a time to find the culprit, or just factory reset and start from scratch. I think the phone is particular vulnerable to this when there is an os upgrade.

guitarmageddon

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Couple questions...

What is the best way to "clone" what I have now and restore after an FDR? I did the cache clear thing, but there are still things that feel "off" about the phone. Will I get paid apps back, such as nova prime, after a factory wipe? I have the verizon cloud right now, and thats really the only means of "restoring" anything, and that is more just pics and contacts, etc... is there a way to fully create an "image" of what I have now and revert back? Does anyone have a preference on app/software that they use in these cases?

And a few other random questions after this update:
-Is there any way, without the use of other apps, to get my custom vibrate patterns back for texts/calls/etc? I liked one for texts, and one for other alerts...
-Is there any way to get that settings widget back that allowed me to change brightness/bluetooth/wifi, etc?
-Can I disable the stupid dropdown alert window with text info that crowds half the dang screen when Im in a game or doing something else?? Or is the ONLY way to disable alerts completely?

I feel with every subsequent update on these things, these developers just pander to whatever the phone hipsters are into at that particular moment. This one has been a MAJOR step back in terms of functionality.

Thanks for any help

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Android isn't windows. There isn't the equivalent of external .dll files that get left behind when apps are uninstalled. Android apps are self-contained, sandboxed, and don't leave behind cruft when you uninstall.

However, if you have apps that you use regularly that have their data corrupted, or perhaps start interfering with other apps, then it's time either to uninstall apps a few at a time to find the culprit, or just factory reset and start from scratch. I think the phone is particular vulnerable to this when there is an os upgrade.
I wasn't trying to suggest that Windows and Android is the same. I was comparing the user experience with Windows computers from over a decade ago to the Android experience today. The experience with Windows OS/Software and hardware has improved tremendously (without arguing the GUI issues of Win 8), and I was making the hopeful supposition that this will be the case as Android and phone hardware also matures.

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Android apps are self-contained, sandboxed, and don't leave behind cruft when you uninstall

I would have to disagree with that part. Take an app like Watchmaker for example. Install it, make a watch face, then uninstall. Open ES Explorer and the files are still there. Or take it a step further and reinstall the app and the face you made will show up when you open the app. I've seen many apps do this even after wiping the cache partition.

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
-Is there any way, without the use of other apps, to get my custom vibrate patterns back for texts/calls/etc? I liked one for texts, and one for other alerts...

Why wouldn't you want to use a third party app if it solves a problem? The text messaging app Textra lets you customize its vibration patterns.

guitarmageddon

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Why wouldn't you want to use a third party app if it solves a problem? The text messaging app Textra lets you customize its vibration patterns.

Just because Im for the simplest solution possible, especially if it can be internal to the OS. More apps = more bloat = more crap = frustration. I have the bare minimum amount of apps to accomplish what I need on this phone.

88horizon5speed

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site

many android apps definilty do leave files behind after uninstalling them

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Just because Im for the simplest solution possible, especially if it can be internal to the OS. More apps = more bloat = more crap = frustration. I have the bare minimum amount of apps to accomplish what I need on this phone.

The simplest solution possible is to use the messaging app textra, which is excellent, much better than the bloatware Verizon provides, and does the thing you really want to do easily. Seems to be more frustrating to use an app that doesn't do what you want.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
On the one hand, you have a valid point. On the other; if the phone doesn't provide it natively, you've got to cut your losses, and go with an alternative. And while more apps MAY lead to bloat/crap/frustration, that is not an absolute. There are many good alternatives out there that will enhance (not degrade) your user experience.

Last edited:

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree with that part. Take an app like Watchmaker for example. Install it, make a watch face, then uninstall. Open ES Explorer and the files are still there. Or take it a step further and reinstall the app and the face you made will show up when you open the app. I've seen many apps do this even after wiping the cache partition.

Posted via the Android Central App

I often look at the directory structure of my Turbo while connecting it to my computer and I have many times found files and old folders from apps that I have removed. At least for me it does seem a lot like Windows where remnants are left......and I remove those remnants when I find them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty