NFC vs. Bluetooth

this_is_nascar

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Why would I use one over then other? For example, I just purchased a Creative Muvo Mini and says it has NFC and BT support. I have it working with my Turbo using BT, however I have NFC turned-off on my phone. What's the benefit of enabling NFC on my Turbo?

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Nfc is only for fast pairing. And only works within a few inches.

Bluetooth works alot farther might be off a bit. Bt should work 15 -30 feet.

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Just to add to this, while ab304945 is certainly on target that Bluetooth has a (much) longer range than NFC, there is a very specific reason for this: security. Personally, I would not conduct a financial transaction using Bluetooth. I would do so using NFC, if anyone I conducted business with used that. Regretfully, in my neck of the woods, I haven't found any vendors that do so -- Starbucks might, but I don't go to Starbucks, so...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Nfc is only for fast pairing. And only works within a few inches.

Bluetooth works alot farther might be off a bit. Bt should work 15 -30 feet.

Right. So what they mean is that you can create a Bluetooth pairing between your phone and the speaker using an nfc tap rather than going through the normal pain in the neck by pairing process. Once the two are paired, you never need nfc again.

It's convenient but unnecessary if you're happy with the normal but pairing process.

(I have nfc always on, mainly because I use nfc unlock on my phone. If my phone is locked I can tap to a number of nfc stickers I have around to unlock it. I have a sticker on each of my cars' docks that I keep my phone in. If the phone powers on in the dock while I am driving and is at a lock screen looking for a pin, it just unlocks without a touch. That's handy for Moto voice when I need to make a call or send a text while I'm driving.)

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Right. So what they mean is that you can create a Bluetooth pairing between your phone and the speaker using an nfc tap rather than going through the normal pain in the neck by pairing process. Once the two are paired, you never need nfc again.

It's convenient but unnecessary if you're happy with the normal but pairing process.

(I have nfc always on, mainly because I use nfc unlock on my phone. If my phone is locked I can tap to a number of nfc stickers I have around to unlock it. I have a sticker on each of my cars' docks that I keep my phone in. If the phone powers on in the dock while I am driving and is at a lock screen looking for a pin, it just unlocks without a touch. That's handy for Moto voice when I need to make a call or send a text while I'm driving.)

I keep my nfc on also.

Use google wallets. And android beam

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty