Screen burn in that always starts where the eBay icon is?

MrPractical1

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd Droid Turbo now.

I bought my first upon release. I'd noticed screen burn in after a while. It would start with the ebay app and eventually I could notice other apps burnt in. I didn't run a a high screen brightness and my screen turned off after a couple minutes so I wasn't doing anything crazy. After the OS update my battery life tanked and my device was always overheating so I exchanged it under warranty. Within a month screen burn in was obvious on my new device (starting with where the ebay icon was on my home screen). I exchanged that device earlier this month. Now I'm noticed it already burning in on my new device.

Do any of you have the ebay app on your home screen? Have you noticed screen burn in there or anywhere else?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Could the screen be turning on inadvertently, like when it's in your pocket or a bag? Also, two minutes is actually a relatively long timeout duration. If the screen often remains on without any change for two minutes at a time, and it occurs very frequently, that might be enough to contribute to burn-in.

MrPractical1

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Whenever I stop using my phone I click the turn off screen button almost every single time. I do not think it is very likely the screen turns on while in my pocket. Most of the work day I have the screen sitting on top of my work desk with the screen off (i even have the function disabled that displays alerts and displays the time when you hover over it).

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
Screen time out is not the issue, I have my set to 10 mins, since I need it on a lot of the time for work. Even heavy gamers don't experience this. This is really odd, almost like the eBay icon has jinxed it.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Screen time out is not the issue, I have my set to 10 mins, since I need it on a lot of the time for work. Even heavy gamers don't experience this.

But when your screen is on for that long, is it displaying the same homescreen without any change? Or are you actually using it off and on for your work? For heavy gamers, the screen would constantly be changing, so that wouldn't lead to burn-in.

TiMar99

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
But when your screen is on for that long, is it displaying the same homescreen without any change? Or are you actually using it off and on for your work? For heavy gamers, the screen would constantly be changing, so that wouldn't lead to burn-in.

Yeah, usually on speaker and switching screens or mute on/off for conf. calls etc. Wasn't thinking changes in screen were different from staying on the same screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The thing that leads to burn-in is the same image remaining on the screen for extended periods--so even if you have the screen on for a long time, frequent activity that changes what the screen displays will prevent screen burn-in. But if the screen shows the same unchanging image for a while, that's what can lead to burn-in over time.

MrPractical1

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Ya, I'm aware of what generally causes screen burn in - the same stationary image displaying. Even if I didn't work in tech I'd know that, my grandmother used to always mute commercials and the mute display was burnt into her old tv haha.

nope. like i said, i turn off the screen when not in use. i find it pretty unlikely it randomly turns on and even still it is taking less than a month. it starts with the ebay app (maybe has something to do with the white icon with colored text) but on my first one it progressed to other apps and I expect the same with this phone. pretty annoying b/c when it gets worse it is distracting while doing stuff on the phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ya, I'm aware of what generally causes screen burn in - the same stationary image displaying. Even if I didn't work in tech I'd know that, my grandmother used to always mute commercials and the mute display was burnt into her old tv haha.

Oh sorry, I meant that as a response to TIMar99, not you.:)

Not to sound like a broken record, but I still think that 2 minutes may be a bit long to set the screen timeout to. Consider decreasing it to 1 minute in the future, and see if that still leads to screen burn-in.

EDIT: I just thought of something--how many people still know what the heck a broken record sounds like?:p

MrPractical1

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
i barely remember.

also, like i said my effective timeout is 0 secs b/c 9x% of the time i turn my screen off as soon as i'm done. :-\ even if i didn't i shouldn't suffer screen burn in after having a phone for less than a month :(

MrPractical1

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
well, i moved it to a different spot and it still burned in. i can move it to the secondary home screen though not ideal - but that's just the icon it starts with. before i traded it my 1st droid turbo other icons had started showing burn in :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress