Disappointing Battery life. Am I missing something?

smcoop

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Just came from windows phone and am extremely unhappy with my battery life in my droid turbo. I bought it brand new from Verizon just two weeks ago so it has the most up to date lollipop on it and I can only squeeze maybe a little over 4 hours screen time in between charges. I unplug it around 8 in the morning and usually cant make it to 10pm at night. For a phone that advertises 48 hour battery life, getting less than half that is a let down. I want to be able to easily make it through at least one day. FYI I turned my GPS to battery saving mode and my brightness in less than %50 all day. My apps that drain the most are screen, android OS, Facebook, cell standby and then google services at %6. So my question is, Is this normal?

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
No, it isn't close to normal. I use my Turbo heavily all day long and still usually have 40 to 50% left when I put in on the charger at night. Many weekend days when I don't use it much it can still have 80% remaining after a day. Just based on what you posted, I imaging Facebook is the culprit. There are a number of settings in their app that kill your battery if not set right. I recommend getting rid of the Facebook app and just use it in Chrome when you want it. It will automatically go to the mobile web version and it works fine.

steve cooper

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I really need the Facebook app though so mobile isn't really an option. I would think the most popular app in the world would be optimized to not kill battery also, right?

Posted via the Android Central App

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I really need the Facebook app though so mobile isn't really an option. I would think the most popular app in the world would be optimized to not kill battery also, right?

Ha! The Facebook app is a notorious battery hog on both android and iOS.

Your usage sounds a little worse than usual, but if your mobile signal is bad, that could easily account for it.

Lollipop is not the latest release - marshmallow has some battery savings particularly when the phone is not being actively used. Unfortunately, android simply sucks when it comes to battery drain. Marshmallow should make it better, when that update comes.

The great thing about the turbo is the turbo charging. 10 minutes of charge when it is under 78 percent will give hours of extra battery life. Perhaps you will find some point during the day when you can grab 10 or 15 minutes of charge to get yourself comfortably through the rest of the day.

Good luck, I hope it gets better for you.

leehardballer12

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I learned a long time ago with larger screen sized phones, like the Droid Turbo, that the screen brightness needs to be set very low. I keep mine at less than 25%, probably more like 10%. It's really not necessary to have it any higher for phone calls, messaging, email, Facebook, ect. I turn the brightness up when I watch video, scroll through pictures, or whatever else that is screen intensive.

I use the Facebook app and have no excessive battery drain issues from it, but I do take advantage of the battery saving options in the app.

AccuWeather was a battery hog, but has been much, much better since the recent update.

The single biggest difference in prolonging battery life I have found is turning the brightness way down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87