Anybody still sporting a DX

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Surfing through the forums, haven't been here in a while, and wondered "how many people are still using his or her droid x's. When did you get yours and how is it still treating you?

I got mine on Sept 2010, and had to get a battery for it this past January, this phone is still working like a charm, no problems yet. I have been eyeing the razr maxx though, just waiting on the $299 price tag to go down.

deercreek

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I got mine on 7/16/10, the day after it was released. I'm still using it. I think I may need a new battery and there's a soft spot on my screen unless I remove the battery cover. Other than that, I'm still happy enough that I can't see spending $270 on any phone that's out now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as deercreek. Except my battery seems to be OK (now I gotta find some wood to knock on...).

Nothing out there today on VZW sparks my interest enough to shell out money for.

df79transam

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat as deercreek. Except my battery seems to be OK (now I gotta find some wood to knock on...).

Nothing out there today on VZW sparks my interest enough to shell out money for.

in way, that's my case. I'm not really liking the non removable battery on the razr, but...

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Just flashed the new Gummy ICS build last night, haven't enjoyed my DX this much since I got it on launch day! Lots of love still going around for the X.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

dahlheim

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
got my dx soon after release (a couple of months perhaps). it's running stock lately. ran apex for a while. still works great. just switched to the galaxy nexus. motorola lost my business with too much lock-down. the screen was acting wonky for a while (with a bunch of parallel small lines apparent in a cluster near the middle of the screen). i thought the display was broken, then it suddenly cleared about a week later. weird. perhaps a video chip glitch. the dx is now the "house device", running a bunch of scripts to control home theater and security systems via wifi. also provides some notifications and functions as a music player. heck, i suppose it's an extra gps device if anyone needs it, too. just haven't needed that yet.

envy

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I still have mines. due for an upgrade in two weeks. I can't wait to get rid of it. I promised myself that I would stay away from Motorola because the phone itself was great when I got it July 2010, then it did an upgrade and from there only select people could see my texts.

The phone keeps restarting itself, and the battery life is awful. It will go from 100% to 80% within 10-15 minutes of minimal web surfing and a few minutes of game play.

I'm trying to wait until mid april to see if another phone is being released w/ a 4.5 screen because I definitely want to go bigger.

gordol

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I still have my X, had a problem when I rooted it and then upgraded to 2.3.4, but that's sorted now. However, the reason behind the problem I had has made me realize that as much as I like the Droid, I'm going to return to an iPhone. Unless something else happens between now and then, I expect I'll keep the X until the iPhone 5 comes out and then switch back. That will probably be in October.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm still running strong with my launch day DX. Right now I'm running MIUI 2.3.7, as RevNumbers seemed to drop support and stopped their nightlies a few months back. With MIUI it's like a brand new phone. I'm still using my original battery too. It doesn't hold a charge as well, but I'm rarely far from a charger. I'm already due for an upgrade and would love a GNex, but will be waiting for the price drop which will be inevitable later this spring/early this summer.

All said, the DX has been the best phone I've ever owned and will hold a special place in my junk drawer when it's time to retire the ol' girl.

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm still running strong with my launch day DX. Right now I'm running MIUI 2.3.7, as RevNumbers seemed to drop support and stopped their nightlies a few months back. With MIUI it's like a brand new phone. I'm still using my original battery too. It doesn't hold a charge as well, but I'm rarely far from a charger. I'm already due for an upgrade and would love a GNex, but will be waiting for the price drop which will be inevitable later this spring/early this summer.

All said, the DX has been the best phone I've ever owned and will hold a special place in my junk drawer when it's time to retire the ol' girl.

Just FYI Pooka took over the CM7 builds Rev was doing and they are awesome. RootzWiki has the thread and links.

Reactions: NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just FYI Pooka took over the CM7 builds Rev was doing and they are awesome. RootzWiki has the thread and links.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it but at the moment my phone is running better than ever with MIUI. I've got ADW EX launcher on top of it and I couldn't be happier with the performance and available options.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Got mine on Jul 16th and despite being used and abused it's still chugging along.
I briefly tried the Galaxy Nexus and couldn't adjust to the lack of hw buttons and the bar of soap feel and returned it. I can't stand holding a piece of tech that I spend thousands on each year that feels that flimsy.
This X has been completely disassembled twice to replace defective LCDs. And is now a frankenDroid as many other parts are those of other dead droids I've come across. There is a loose connection to the wifi and GPS antenna that I just can't seem to lock down and I have to whack it a few times to get wifi or GPS connection. I suspect it is the tiny coaxial lead near the camera but haven't had the quiet time needed to perform another surgery.
I've run the first custom ROM FlyX then ApeX followed by CM7 and have pretty much given up on the hope of a stable ROM for this device as the required kernel development is hampered by the still locked bootloader.
I'm now looking forward to the iPhone 5 as I feel what had excited me about Android 2 years ago is all but dead. Having owned the iPad alongside my Droid I have come to appreciate the commitment of steady refinement instead of the mad rush of releasing unfinished product to only to be let down by the next unfinished product.
I dunno, it feels a little like going to the dark side. I am holding out some hope that Moto will drop another bomb like they did 2 years ago and release a Droid XXX that has the same real metal feel, a battery as powerful as the maxx, a screen like the gnexus, hw buttons that are a little more tight, and a return of the Android Market with the 24hr return window would make me dislike apple a lot more.
Anyhow, I've enjoyed participating in this forum, helping folks, feeding the entertaing trolls and otherwise making a fool of myself.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I've run the first custom ROM FlyX then ApeX followed by CM7 and have pretty much given up on the hope of a stable ROM for this device as the required kernel development is hampered by the still locked bootloader.
I'm now looking forward to the iPhone 5 as I feel what had excited me about Android 2 years ago is all but dead. Having owned the iPad alongside my Droid I have come to appreciate the commitment of steady refinement instead of the mad rush of releasing unfinished product to only to be let down by the next unfinished product.

Robert,

I'm sorry to hear that you're thinking of leaving the Android family. Before you go, give MIUI a shot if you like the iOS experience. It's very polished, very stable and very fast. Like I said before, my DX feels like a whole new phone! I too ran ApeX and CM7 as well as RubiX. So far, MIUI has been my favorite hands down. Best of luck to you and I hope you stick around.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Robert,

I'm sorry to hear that you're thinking of leaving the Android family. Before you go, give MIUI a shot if you like the iOS experience. It's very polished, very stable and very fast. Like I said before, my DX feels like a whole new phone! I too ran ApeX and CM7 as well as RubiX. So far, MIUI has been my favorite hands down. Best of luck to you and I hope you stick around.

Reading this thread last night and now your post I'll give it a try.
Thanks

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I took over my daughter's 4 times replaced X (replacing my original Droid), did a factory reset and then rooted it and it's been fine. Much better than the Droid.

Unfortunately the 621 update came along during the night and I pressed the OK/Update button while I was half asleep and before I put my glasses on to see what it said. Now I'm un-rooted on 621. It's running OK the the lack of root broke some of the things I had set up. :(

Waiting for a new "one click" root to come along.

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Still have mine since launch day. Tempted to upgrade, but the way my phone works is perfect so I'm having a hard time justifying an upgrade

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Still have mine since launch day. Tempted to upgrade, but the way my phone works is perfect so I'm having a hard time justifying an upgrade

Yup, Gummy is running smooth and silky, I want to see more about this wireless charging feature before upgrading now I think.

PappaFloyd

Dab King
Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately the 621 update came along during the night and I pressed the OK/Update button while I was half asleep and before I put my glasses on to see what it said. Now I'm un-rooted on 621. It's running OK the the lack of root broke some of the things I had set up. :(

Waiting for a new "one click" root to come along.

There's a root method available for the .621 update. Just not a 1 click, being without root isn't much fun once you've gotten used to it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87