Early upgrade questions

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
What's the usual discount for someone upgrading using their NE2? It's been awhile since my upgrade.

I wonder if I'll have to wait for the date indicated on my account (July 21st) to be eligible for it?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
It depends on when you last upgraded and what plan you have. If you haven't upgraded since they changed the NE2 amount in Feb 2009, you get $100 off if you're on a base plan of $79.99 or greater and $50 if your plan is less. If you upgraded after, the NE2 is only $50 for plans $79.99 or greater and $30 for the lesser plans

kalldrexx

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Reading that promotional flyer it looks like you can't use the upgrade if you want a 1 year contract (It says your contract will be expanded by 2 years). Guess I'll wait till my November expiration date. 2 years is too long to wait for a new phone with how fast phones are improving imo.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There's always a better phone 6 months or less out so even a yr is too much if you always feel that you need to have the BEST. Full retail is really the only solution there. But all of the current phones from the Droid to the Incredible to the Evo and now the Droid X are all great phones and just as capable as the others. Sure one may be a little more flashy or faster but that's a given with any form of technology.

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
It depends on when you last upgraded and what plan you have. If you haven't upgraded since they changed the NE2 amount in Feb 2009, you get $100 off if you're on a base plan of $79.99 or greater and $50 if your plan is less. If you upgraded after, the NE2 is only $50 for plans $79.99 or greater and $30 for the lesser plans

They changed it!? Doesn't surprise me, Verizon is getting more tricky with their policies.

Well I bought my Storm in '08, so according to your post, I should be getting a $100 credit! $100 for the Droid X here I come :D

RedSoxGeek

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I called Verizon yesterday to inquire about my early upgrade. After getting some run around I was finally told I am eligible for the early upgrade on August 10, 2010 with a contact renewal of April 2010. When I asked if I was able to get the X on July 15 all of the customer service people I talked to had no idea what I was talking about. I told them about the official press release that was posted on several blogs/websites including this site. They were unable to comment because they were unable to find it on their intranet sites. I suggested that they check such sites as PCWorld, Engadget, Gizmodo ect, but was told they were not even able to get to Google and they the press release must be false because it was posted on a third party website.
After getting frustrated I thanked them for their time then went home and searched VerizonWireless.com and was able to find this page: July 2010: DROID X By Motorola Lands On The Nation?s Largest & Most Reliable 3G Network what struck me was this entry near the bottom : “. In addition, current Verizon Wireless customers who have contracts ending by December 31, 2010, can upgrade to any smartphone, including DROID X, without penalty.” The way I read this is that you will only be eligible for an upgrade if your contract is up before December 31, 2010. This is the official press release that has been posted on the third party sites. There is no mention of early upgrade option. I will be contacting Verizon again to try and get more clarification. I would like to get the phone early in case the X runs into the same problems as the Incredible did with availability. I can wait until August if I have to but I am currently using Omnia 1 running WinMo 6.1 and the phone is a piece a junk. My wife just got the LG Ally running Android 2.1 and it is slick. I need the X for work (I am an IT admin) in order to monitor a couple of different Exchange mail boxes and other work related things.
If I hear anything new I will post them but if others hear of anything please post as well.
Also I know this is not the right thread but anything new on the Droid 2 (that is really the phone I wanted for the keyboard) but since the X announcement there was no mention of the 2.

RedSoxGeek

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon and anyone who is eligible for an early (read 1 year) upgrade is not eligible for the upgrade to the X on July 15 they will have to wait til the actual day of their upgrade although the rep did say that my change.

Syco54645

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Verizon and anyone who is eligible for an early (read 1 year) upgrade is not eligible for the upgrade to the X on July 15 they will have to wait til the actual day of their upgrade although the rep did say that my change.

The rep I spoke with said that I can upgrade to the x just fine. I love how misinformed they are. Why would they stop us from using our annual upgrade on this phone? I want this before I leave for vacation...
I am going to venture a guess that your rep misspoke. Why would they want to do that to sales? I have to pay $199.99 for the phone as well as a $20 or $25 fee for early upgrade. Not to mention they also get the sales figures. I doubt that big red would cripple themselves like this.

RedSoxGeek

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
The rep I spoke with said that I can upgrade to the x just fine. I love how misinformed they are. Why would they stop us from using our annual upgrade on this phone? I want this before I leave for vacation...
I am going to venture a guess that your rep misspoke. Why would they want to do that to sales? I have to pay $199.99 for the phone as well as a $20 or $25 fee for early upgrade. Not to mention they also get the sales figures. I doubt that big red would cripple themselves like this.

You maybe and hopefully are riight, I am going to keep checking with them and may even just show up at the store on the 15th...

ls1norcal

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
First off, my primary line isnt eligible for upgrade until December of 2010.

After logged into My Verizon, I clicked on Shop>Upgrade to a new phone, selected my primary line (the one that's eligible for NE2) and got all the way to checkout with a HTC Incredible, and it was going to let me upgrade for $199. I didnt submit the order, but I tried the same thing with another line that isnt eligible until sometime in 2011, and it gave me "month-to-month" (retail) prices.

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
They changed it!? Doesn't surprise me, Verizon is getting more tricky with their policies.

Well I bought my Storm in '08, so according to your post, I should be getting a $100 credit! $100 for the Droid X here I come :D

I wouldn't count on that, make sure you check with verizon. I've had 2 NE2's that should have been 100 that they ony gave me $50. The reason given for the one that I emailed them about? "you upgraded your phone" What I did was upgrade a BlackBerry 8330 to a Storm, using an upgrade from a DIFFERENT line. I pointed this out repeatedly (even told them what line the upgrade came from, etc), quoted their own policy back to them, etc but to no avail.

I hope you get your full credit, but don't count on it unless you hear it from them directly.

EDIT: I was told today that I would be able to use my early annual update. That was the main reason she looked up my info.

Last edited:

aquaj13

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
here is a question for all of you. Can I upgrade my plan today, from 39.99 to 59.99 and be eligible for the annual upgrade? With my state employee discount it would cost me 10 bucks a month more. Let me hear what you think.

c1k1r1

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
My sister is due for her one year upgrade in augst they let her preorder at best buy but a vzw rep had to make a note on her account.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
My sister is due for her one year upgrade in augst they let her preorder at best buy but a vzw rep had to make a note on her account.

Hmmm.... My wife is due in August as well. I wonder if I can order the X for her, then switch phone numbers with me afterwards.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

i am due for the 1 year early upgrade in late july. however, the monkeys at the local BB didn't ask anything...fill out the form, take the money, see you in a few weeks.

also, i had an incredible on backorder via the vzw website. their phone rep confirmed that they could change the order to an X, so long as the inc had not already shipped...but not until 7/15. ie: no preorder shortcut by buying an inc and calling them to change the order.

xenspidey

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
here is a question for all of you. Can I upgrade my plan today, from 39.99 to 59.99 and be eligible for the annual upgrade? With my state employee discount it would cost me 10 bucks a month more. Let me hear what you think.
You have to have a 59.99 or higher plan for 3 consecutive months... sorry

mupi

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
You have to have a 59.99 or higher plan for 3 consecutive months... sorry

In the FWIW column, I have taken advantage of this with our family plan...although at some point they may decide to close this loophole if too many people are doing it...

They let you change the primary line on a family plan. So, Line1, annual upgrade, change primary to line two, three months later (actually, I think the turn the flag at like 2 months, IIRC) Line2 gets an "annual" upgrade. Keep it that way a couple of months, switch back, and now Line1's annual/early upgrade date is back to 1 year after the initial upgrade...

Come to think of it, they may not close the loophole, since they charge I think it's $36 fee, and they don't have to give you your NE2 credit, that's a net $86 to Verizon....

JubbaTheHutt

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Just called up VZW CS and spoke to an agent regarding my primary line. My NE2 wasn't up until July 21st, but after a bit of sweet-talking managed to get them to reset it to July 15th. $100 Droid X Here I Come!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo