Wi-Fi Issues and Speed

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Okay. A few things on wi-fi.

First the X says that I am connected at 65mbps? How is that possible? I do have b/g/n wireless.

Second. I cannot seem to maintain a connection. It is constantly dropping. This is when I am in the same room. I will jump to 3G and the re-authenticate and connect. I am not sure what is happening. I am using WPA2 which is supported.

What is everyone else seeing?

chucktu

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am also having problems getting my WiFi to work. I've been able to run a SpeedTest using it but haven't been able to access anything with the browser.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Okay. A few things on wi-fi.

First the X says that I am connected at 65mbps? How is that possible? I do have b/g/n wireless.

Second. I cannot seem to maintain a connection. It is constantly dropping. This is when I am in the same room. I will jump to 3G and the re-authenticate and connect. I am not sure what is happening. I am using WPA2 which is supported.

What is everyone else seeing?

go into your wi-fi settings, press menu>advanced>and change your wi-fi sleep policy to "never". your phone is auto set to disconnect from wi-fi when the screen turns off; doing this should prevent it from unlinking

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
The 65Mbps reading means you are grabbing an N connection. I'm not sure if its an Android limitation or what but I've never seen a reported speed any faster than this. Also if you do a speed test you will never get faster than 2Mbps upload.

Anyone having issues should always look in their router logs for clues as to what might be causing problems.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
The 65Mbps reading means you are grabbing an N connection. I'm not sure if its an Android limitation or what but I've never seen a reported speed any faster than this. Also if you do a speed test you will never get faster than 2Mbps upload.

Anyone having issues should always look in their router logs for clues as to what might be causing problems.

Yeah. I was thinking it was grabbing an N connection but I thought the X only supported b/g? Not that I am complaining! Just curious.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
go into your wi-fi settings, press menu>advanced>and change your wi-fi sleep policy to "never". your phone is auto set to disconnect from wi-fi when the screen turns off; doing this should prevent it from unlinking

Sweet. I found it and will test it later today .. then update here! :D

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site

Tried that, still having issues. This is becoming an annoyance. Every single Android device I get has terrible issues... Come on Android, I love you but your releasing with more and more issues.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Mine is having the same wifi issues. It connects and then loses and then connects and then loses...vicious cycle.

huey

May 12, 2010
Visit site
happened to me yesterday after activating the phone also.

a battery pulled fixed all the startup issues i was experiencing

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I was thinking it was grabbing an N connection but I thought the X only supported b/g? Not that I am complaining! Just curious.

Nope. N is supported. There was some confusion about this initially, because supposedly it wouldn't be supported until Froyo was released. It appears Motorola got around that somehow with the X.

Are you guys looking at your WiFi router logs? Any WiFi issues I've had always shown up in there. Some of the things I've seen reported that have caused connectivity issues include:

• The type of encryption you are using
  • MAC address filtering
  • Hiding your SSID (turning off broadcasting)
  • Running the WAP in mixed mode
  • Not having the latest firmware update on the WAP

To get mine to connect yesterday, I actually had to reboot my WAP. I haven't had any issues since.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I was having the same trouble lastnight. I finally turned off Wifi and then it wouldnt make a 3g connection. I had to actually pull my battery and do the *228 and update the roaming again for it to work. I did finally find the advanced settings for the wifi so i will see if that works later

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm still having recurring WiFi issues as well but I think it's the settings in my router that I have to change. I'm a newbie when it comes to routers. Anyone here have a D-Link DIR-601 that they're trying to connect their X to and are having problems? My router installation went fine, and I know the WiFi on my phone is working because it's finding other local networks and I can connect to them (although they're weaker signals and I've been dropping them often), but for some reasons I can't connect to my own router. My router works for N as well as the older G and B, and I know the X works with N so there's no compatibility issue. The X finds my network just find and indicates an excellent signal strength, but it tries authenticating after I click "Connect" and then it just automatically disconnects. I keep trying to re-connect but it never happens. Does anyone know specifically which settings in my router I should try changing to see if I can fix this on my own and get it working?

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got mine working. I changed to WEP instead of WPA and I was able to connect. I'm still concerned why the security level is the issue. But at least I'm connected and I'm enjoying lightning fast browsing and hopefully this will help save some battery life too whenever I use my phone at home on my network.

theskeels

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Issues and Solution

I was having issues with Wifi connections. Using DLink DIR-628 on bgn and wpa2. Could connect fine but speedtest showed 1kBps dl speed and couldn't connect to smb shares.

Workaround was to disable N connections on the router. Set to only B/G connections and now everything works great, still with wpa2. Apparently Moto effed up the custom N support and hopefully it will be fixed in Froyo.

bart151

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Heres a kicker.

So I have both a DInc and X. I decided to test them out side by side. First off looking at the settings, both devices are on channel 11. Connection status - The DInc was "Good" and the X was "Good" with the occasional drop down to "Fair" and disconnect.

Results - The DInc blew my X away. Nothing even close. Tried multiple different sites, Androidcentral being one of them. As someone else said - WTFuk?

Last edited:

Kupe

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
I was having issues with Wifi connections. Using DLink DIR-628 on bgn and wpa2. Could connect fine but speedtest showed 1kBps dl speed and couldn't connect to smb shares.

Workaround was to disable N connections on the router. Set to only B/G connections and now everything works great, still with wpa2. Apparently Moto effed up the custom N support and hopefully it will be fixed in Froyo.
Using a Netgear Wireless N with none of the issues I reading here. Getting speed tests in the 15-18 Mbps down and 1.8-2.0 Mbps all around the house. Doesn't sound like custom N support problems with the Netgear.

anon(40252)

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I am still having tons of issues. It is cutting in and out. When it is connected I am getting speeds of 200-300kbps ... I have updated settings and reset but no luck so far. I will keep trying.

As a side note. My BB and my Evo connected without problems as do multiple notebooks. The Evo was pulling 10-15mpbs.

I am using a Netgear Wireless N also ... what settings are you using kupe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non