Need help deciding. Please help a potential convert!

garberinc

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. I have had the BB Pearl (junk), Curve(good phone), S1 (junk), Tour (love it, no problems). I am constantly being tempted by the Droid X. But I have a few questions before I spend the money:
1- How is the screen outside in the sunlight?

2- How does the touchscreen work once it gets cold or your hands are wet/ moist/ cold?

3- Can I get SMS in one folder, and different gmail accounts to be received in different folders with different audible alerts? I have different emergency alerts sent to me for various public service/ emergency management entities I work with. It's nice to have each one have separate alerts.

4- Does the voice/ phone work well, and reliably despite all the widgets and gadgets running?

5- Is an Android phone reliable and easy to use in emergency situations?

6- How many different email accounts can you have on the X? I have 10 currently on the Tour and they all work flawlessly. (all are gmail except one)

7- How durable is the Droid X? I have dropped the Tour a few times and keeps on working

8- Can I save phone numbers and set as speed dial that have a hard pause or soft pause that then dial extensions or a long string of numbers?

9- How easy is it to Send an SMS, send an email, make a phone call, send a txt, etc in rapid succession quickly and easily while on the go? I don't want it to be a cumbersome ordeal to do these things frequently.

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for your answers. I must say I am a hardcore BB fan and user. This thing just works and works like a champ. I truly wish RIM was more inventive and ahead of the curve as they used to be. I am just finding myself yearning for more in terms of the browser, apps, speed, media.

rpclark76

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I am new to this forum as well, but why wouldn't you just read the reviews on AndroidCentral, Gizmodo, or Engadget? They have some in depth reviews that answer all these questions.

Might save you some time rather than waiting around for an answer.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
It is an LCD, you will need to squint your eyes some, but it is usable.

2- How does the touchscreen work once it gets cold or your hands are wet/ moist/ cold?
I live in the desert, doesn't get cold, but the screen is very sensitive to touch, takes some getting used to.

3- Can I get SMS in one folder, and different gmail accounts to be received in different folders with different audible alerts? I have different emergency alerts sent to me for various public service/ emergency management entities I work with. It's nice to have each one have separate alerts.
SMS is done using conversations, similar to Palm Treo/Centro. There is a universal inbox that contain all SMS and email, but outside of the universal inbox SMS are organized by the contact you conversed with. Email accounts have their own mailbox. Alerts/Ringtones/Vibrate can be set individually for SMS, Email accounts, Calendar. Unfortunately all email accounts use the same notification settings with exception of gmail. When the 2.2 Froyo update arrives gmail will allow multiple accounts through the gmail app. I'm running 2.2 now and could not see that notifications could be set for multiple accounts individually.

4- Does the voice/ phone work well, and reliably despite all the widgets and gadgets running?
Yes, works great. A major plus is the boot time compared to blackberry. The X is ready to make a call from Off to dial in about a minute. My Wifes BB Curve takes 5-8 minutes. In an emergency where your battery died and you need to swap or connect external power this can make a huge difference

See #4, but will depend on the Android phone, not all are created equal. I think Moto has done an excellent job

6- How many different email accounts can you have on the X? I have 10 currently on the Tour and they all work flawlessly. (all are gmail except one)
As far as I can tell you can only have one native gmail account, but you can have several POP/IMAP gmail accounts. I don't know the limit

7- How durable is the Droid X? I have dropped the Tour a few times and keeps on working
I've dropped mine onto concrete from about 4 feet, left a tiny not very noticeable dent in the bezel. Others have not been so lucky

8- Can I save phone numbers and set as speed dial that have a hard pause or soft pause that then dial extensions or a long string of numbers?
Yes, you can add commas after the phone number, more commas longer pause. Using a semicolon will prompt you to send the next string of numbers

9- How easy is it to Send an SMS, send an email, make a phone call, send a txt, etc in rapid succession quickly and easily while on the go? I don't want it to be a cumbersome ordeal to do these things frequently.
Not as easy as a Backberry. Using 100% touch screen will be an adjustment for you. Considering all that you get with the phone it is worth the adjustment IMO. I've had a few friends that have switched without much complaint.

Don't forget to check out The Official Blackberry Convert Thread

Last edited:

willymakit

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. I have had the BB Pearl (junk), Curve(good phone), S1 (junk), Tour (love it, no problems). I am constantly being tempted by the Droid X. But I have a few questions before I spend the money:

I think that's it for now. Thanks in advance for your answers. I must say I am a hardcore BB fan and user. This thing just works and works like a champ. I truly wish RIM was more inventive and ahead of the curve as they used to be. I am just finding myself yearning for more in terms of the browser, apps, speed, media.

Stick with your BB..............Sounds like you are completly satisified now, so why change?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer