Do Not Disturb and Texts from a Favorite Contacts...

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Android 14Motorola edge plus 2023 phone

When Do Not Disturb is engaged....

And I have a list of people , Favorite Contacts, who can call thru and I hear a ring.. But, with texts, audible alerts don't occur. Only a silent symbol in the notification bar, which I have no idea is there unless I happen to be looking at the screen

How can I get Next SMS notifications to get thru to me like calls can?

Thank you

Dr Mark

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Depending on your phone and installed Contact app, there are potentially a couple ways of doing this.
  1. Add exceptions to DND (see: https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-add-exceptions-to-do-not-disturb-on-android/)
  2. Create a MacroDroid macro to do what you want
I created a proof-of-concept macro in MacroDroid (see below) and it works, with a couple caveats.
  • MacroDroid is a general-purpose tool. It has no knowledge of your installed apps or favorite contacts - you have to tell it. In the macro screenshot below, I told it to trigger on receipt of an incoming SMS from any contact; you'll need to enter your 'favorite' contacts here. If you make a change to your favorites, you'll have to mirror the change here.
  • Constraints mean that the macro only does something if both the trigger condition AND the constraint are met. Constraints added within the 'Constraints' section apply to the entire macro; constraints added to a trigger or action only apply to that particular trigger/action.
Also note that if you go the Macrodroid route, you can disable the Favorite Contacts functionality for phone calls and handle everything within MacroDroid. In that case, you would change the final Action and the Constraint from "Allow Priority Notifications" to "block All." Either way, you can disable DND with your phone's Quick Setting button or from another macro (for example, you might have a macro that turns on Wifi and turns off DND when you arrive home).

1708002776666.png

Reactions: TxDoc

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well, I attached a screenshot.

I selected allow notifications, even when DND is activated. But, I just hear a DING and the app is not reading out the contact's name ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215-112704.png
    Screenshot_20240215-112704.png
    186.9 KB · Views: 6

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In your Do Not Disturb menu, tap People. What's listed under "Messages"? From your original post, it sounded like you were only referring to "Calls."

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
In your Do Not Disturb menu, tap People. What's listed under "Messages"? From your original post, it sounded like you were only referring to "Calls."

Sorry for the slow reply guys.

Under do not disturb...Under messages.... I had to change to starred contacts.

But, I only hear a DING. NO name announced from Spoken caller app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222-225318.png
    Screenshot_20240222-225318.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240222-223524.png
    Screenshot_20240222-223524.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240222-223501.png
    Screenshot_20240222-223501.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240222-223450.png
    Screenshot_20240222-223450.png
    146.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20240222-223100.png
    Screenshot_20240222-223100.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240222-222908.png
    Screenshot_20240222-222908.png
    198.1 KB · Views: 2

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I use Next SMS that used to be Handcent. That's all over ever used since I got the very first original Android phone available.

I just liked I it so much. That's all I ever used.

Now, Spoken Caller is not in the app store. It's an older app. So that may be the problem with no announced name... But I hear the DING that IS the notification sound I picked.... So, maybe it's just Spoken Caller that may really be the problem. It's never been updated for years and I got its APK from one of those sites that stores old APK s.

Like I say, I get the Android notification DING when on DND... I can live with that
Thank you

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you're dealing with old old apps that are no longer supported by the dev, all bets are off, I'm afraid.:confused: You could try contacting the dev if they're still around and see if they have any ideas.

TxDoc

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
When you're dealing with old old apps that are no longer supported by the dev, all bets are off, I'm afraid.:confused: You could try contacting the dev if they're still around and see if they have any ideas.
Thank you. I bet that's the problem. But... I can steer l still get the notification off the DING. THAT'S okay for me.

I couldn't find any available apps that are currently available that will announce BOTH calls AND A texts. Many do calls, but I can't find any that announce both. If I could find one that will announce a text, I can use Spoken Caller and the other for texts. I'll have to search for see text announcer.

You taught me to look where I haven't in settings, before, SO I am aware of something I didn't know it realize, BEFORE. I'm happy.
I have settings to allow interruptions from starred contacts in spoken caller app and NEXT SMS app.

When I get a text.. I don't hear the name announced, but I hear a DING .

If you look on the attachment for spoken caller..... Under app permissions... It says NOT ALLOWED. I see no provision to change that.

****And to Mr Lucky...
Thank you, too, for all of your time and effort to figure out a work around. I saved that as a document for further reference. I think the source of the problem is the non supported older app.

Thank you all so much🏆🏆🏆💡💡💡🤗🙏
Dr Mark

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. I bet that's the problem. But... I can steer l still get the notification off the DING. THAT'S okay for me.

I couldn't find any available apps that are currently available that will announce BOTH calls AND A texts. Many do calls, but I can't find any that announce both. If I could find one that will announce a text, I can use Spoken Caller and the other for texts. I'll have to search for see text announcer.

You taught me to look where I haven't in settings, before, SO I am aware of something I didn't know it realize, BEFORE. I'm happy.
I have settings to allow interruptions from starred contacts in spoken caller app and NEXT SMS app.

When I get a text.. I don't hear the name announced, but I hear a DING .

If you look on the attachment for spoken caller..... Under app permissions... It says NOT ALLOWED. I see no provision to change that.

****And to Mr Lucky...
Thank you, too, for all of your time and effort to figure out a work around. I saved that as a document for further reference. I think the source of the problem is the non supported older app.

Thank you all so much🏆🏆🏆💡💡💡🤗🙏
Dr Mark
It's our pleasure to help where we can! Incidentally, are you a transplant doctor? I was wondering based on your username.