Gouged my camera glass :-(

skipamy

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe I did this, but I severely scratched/gouged the glass right over the camera lens/shutter. The camera works, but of course the picture is very blurry, so the camera is unusable.

No insurance, phone works fine otherwise. I've read about people replacing the front glass, but does any have advice for replacing the camera glass?

bnob99

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
How long have you had the phone? If you are within your 30 days still, just call VZW and have them add insurance and a day or two later, call and file a claim. The deductible is around 100 but thats much cheaper than having to buy a new phone.

King Neptune117

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Can't believe I did this, but I severely scratched/gouged the glass right over the camera lens/shutter. The camera works, but of course the picture is very blurry, so the camera is unusable.

No insurance, phone works fine otherwise. I've read about people replacing the front glass, but does any have advice for replacing the camera glass?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dude finally someone to share my pain with. I dropped my phone and cracked my screen! Remember that way the guy above me suggested is insurance fraud

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
How long have you had the phone? If you are within your 30 days still, just call VZW and have them add insurance and a day or two later, call and file a claim. The deductible is around 100 but thats much cheaper than having to buy a new phone.

and this, my friends, is insurance fraud

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
seriously guy? Wow.

Why not next time you see someone with a droid x, sucker punch them, take it and run

paulinbna

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
How many times are we going to hear about horror stories from people that do not have insurance? The base insurance plan is very cheap in the scheme of things.

bob the noob

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
One alternative may be to go to an auto parts store and look at various polishing compounds. Might take a while but it could buff out the scratch if you use them right... just like sanding wood or metal, go down to 4 digit grits for a smooth finish.

traxxas14

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to condone the insurance fraud thing, but in this situation it's really a win win for basically all those involved. He adds insurance to his plan (8 bucks) then after a few days makes a claim and pays his deductible (89 dollars) so he's out 97 dollars for a phone that's "like new". Now asurion has his old phone, they spend the 20 minutes and the 5 dollars to replace the lens and sell it to someone else. they certainly aren't losing money on the deal.

BUT, I would personally just look for a piece and replace it that way. I'll take a look at one of the dummy phones here and see if it looks like that part is replaceable with the part from the dummy unit.

traxxas14

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well the dummy unit does have what appears to be the same piece in there. So hopefully you SHOULD be able to make a swap. I can't guarantee it being the same material as I am not about to do a scratch test on my X but it should work.

dmcman73

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Well the dummy unit does have what appears to be the same piece in there. So hopefully you SHOULD be able to make a swap. I can't guarantee it being the same material as I am not about to do a scratch test on my X but it should work.

Usually the dummy models will have the same lens, buttons and decals as the real deal. The only thing fake is the screen and the insides and the insides are usually replaced by a piece of metal to give it weight.

traxxas14

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Typically our dummy units have a piece of lead in them to simulate the extra weight where the battery would go. I have cracked open a few old ones just to see what was in there.

aaronbwells

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My Eris' camera cover is really bad, too. It's not really badly scratched, but there are fingerprints on it that have basically ingrained themselves into the glass. What I do is just take the battery cover off, that way the camera lense isn't covered by the glass that's exposed to the elements and my clumsy hand. haha Just a tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa