Linux X users shout out!

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
All of us here who see their X as an extension of bash command goodness, represent! What distro so you use? Do you use a terminal emulator, or adb? Vlc or banshee remote?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to Linux as well as Android.

I had Kubuntu 9.10 on my desktop, then updated to 10.04 on that machine and revived my old college laptop with a new HDD and 10.04.

I've also played with Mint 9 LXDE and it looks good, but far more users for Ubuntu variants means it's easier to find help and I already have gotten familiar with it.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Ubuntu user returning to the fold. I used Slackware back in the good old days, migrated to Redhat back before Fedora existed, then it fell by the wayside as I no longer needed to have a full computer act as a router and I was able to get Windows file sharing up and running. Now I'm at a company that actually supports Ubuntu desktops and I've since added a server in the basement with a bunch of Ubuntu Virtual Machines (a DNS server, an IPv6 router, a web server, probably a few I'm forgetting). I installed it on all of my desktops and laptops save for my wife's - my HP TouchSmart has been the most "interesting" from a driver support standpoint. On my TouchSmart I have a VM dedicated to Android development, but I haven't had much time to do much more than install the SDK.

Not much in the way of Linux-related Android apps on my phone, though. CLI is rough on a tiny keyboard since autocomplete doesn't understand that "sudo apt-get vim" is a complete sentence. Still, some of these may appeal:
aLogCat is a way to view the Android equivalent to /var/log/messages
Full Keyboard has a lot of the escape characters you'll need, but it's not a great full-time input method - nowhere near as fast as Swype for plain text.
ConnectBot allows me to ssh into my hypervisor and Wyse PocketCloud connects to VirtualBox RDP servers.
There are a multitude of VNC viewers to get a GUI session into your Linux box from your phone.
OSMonitor combines a lot of useful commands into a single app: top, tcpdump, etc.
And while not really Linux, Droid48 is an x48 port for Android and represents calculator perfection.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I saw the one post of the guy who uses KDE, but I've always been a gnome user. Lol, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever used KDE. Is it better than gnome?

Last edited:

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Better's always a matter of opinion with these things. Personally I don't see a reason to switch from Gnome, but if I did it would probably be to Xubuntu which is more like native X-Windows. KDE is a more natural fit for Windows users since the UI is geared towards them, but Gnome is the "native" Ubuntu window manager so you get better support. Kind of like Blur/Sense/Native Android UI discussions the guts are the same and it's only some widgets that are proprietary to the UI. For example, KDE apparently has a better calendaring application that behaves better than Evolution as an Outlook replacement - but where things are different than Android is you can install enough KDE internals to run it on Gnome (better than Beautiful Widgets to simulate Sense!).

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I've used FreeBSD/Ubuntu at home for nearly a decade. I got tired of downloading illegal software for Windows and dealing with BSOD's. I don't really do much thru the phone with it though.

Eloquence

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am running Ubuntu 8.04 at the moment. I love the fact that it works so well with my "old" hardware. Been running linux as my main desktop OS now for almost 2 years! It's had it's issues, but no where near as many as on Windows!

Droid X rocks with it as well :)
-Elo

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I saw the one post of the guy who uses KDE, but I've always been a gnome user. Lol, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever used KDE. Is it better than gnome?

Get a LiveCD and try it out. I found it particularly easy to switch over from Windows. Also, the task bar at the top would make me put my head through a wall. Too Mac for my taste.

People have complained about the network manager in Gnome being far superior to KDE's, but I have had little problems. Maybe it is better, but I like KDE.

El Poblano

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Get a LiveCD and try it out. I found it particularly easy to switch over from Windows. Also, the task bar at the top would make me put my head through a wall. Too Mac for my taste.

People have complained about the network manager in Gnome being far superior to KDE's, but I have had little problems. Maybe it is better, but I like KDE.

Which distro do you use KDE with? I've heard (admittedly not through experience) that Fedora's support for KDE is lacking. I've been looking for a project for a laptop I inherited.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Which distro do you use KDE with? I've heard (admittedly not through experience) that Fedora's support for KDE is lacking. I've been looking for a project for a laptop I inherited.

Kubuntu. Ubuntu is big, widely used and there's plenty of support. Both the Kubuntu and Ubuntu forums are full of great stuff and knowledgeable people which has been a huge help for me.

Kubuntu in a nutshell, is simply Ubuntu with KDE. A lot of guys have come to Ku from U and hated the KDE Network Manager, so they loaded the Gnome Network manager onto their Kubuntu distro. Some guys didn't like the KPackage installer, so they used Synaptic or the Package installer from Ubuntu I believe. Lot's of good interchangeability from what I gather, some of it is over my head.

Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is also LTS.

Get Kubuntu | Kubuntu

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is also LTS.

I'm pretty sure it is as well, I know vanilla Ubuntu is. For those not in the know, LTS is Long Term Support. Ubuntu's on a six month cycle, 10.04 was released 04-2010 and 10.10 will be released in 10-2010 (get the pattern? :)). Generally when the next release is out the door the prior release development and support goes down hill. Every two years there's an LTS release that nets you three years of updates and support - it's great for servers and other stable environments. My desktops will all get upgraded to Maverick in October (well, the ones not running the beta now!). My servers, on the other hand, may not get upgraded until 2012 unless I see a good reason to.

BTW, the only real downside of running Gnome stuff under KDE and KDE stuff under Gnome is the size - there's a lot of overhead in getting the internals for another window manager installed. Then again, with today's hard drives what's an extra few hundred MB among friends?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty